Mom Rants about "childless Millennials" at Disney World

The initial rant is just the tip of the iceberg. I don't have a link to it, but try and find the either New York Times or Post article that actually kinda agrees with her.

The initial rant is just the tip of the iceberg. I don't have a link to it, but try and find the either New York Times or Post article that actually kinda agrees with her.
Yep, saw that. Thought it was pretty funny when people pointed out in response that if childless millennials weren't going to WDW, we'd be skewered for killing the theme park industry. The larger "point" the article's author was trying to make, though, was that if you go to WDW you're uncultured because obviously there's no such thing as a person who enjoys Disney and reads books and watches non-Disney movies. C L E A R L Y.

I don't know if this is real or fake, but the fact that some people agree with her is a little disappointing.
She says millennials are wasting money on useless crap, yet she wants to buy the same useless crap for her son. I also don't think it was only millennials in slutty shorts in line.
Her son cries and she "can't" tell him no because it's his vacation. No, it's a family vacation, and, if you took 2 minutes to google disney crowds, you would know everyone waits in line for everything(though a good plan can help with that). Learn to wait or pick a different place. WDW is about waiting whether you like it or not.
Furthermore, the closeout makes me really sad. Saying she just hates childless women. Some women cannot have children, despite very much wanting them, and, even if you can but don't, that doesn't invalidate you are a human being. I think it speaks to such a deep anger and resentment. WDW has specifically targeted adults over the past few decades, trying to pull that business in.
I have a tendency to think it's real just because I have run into this mentality in daily life with some mothers assuming that, because they have kids, they get priority. This is not a blanket statement by far as I think most people are wonderful and being a parent seems like truly hard work, but there have been times where people have let their kids run wild and then get upset when I ask them not to kick me or take my things.

I actually just read the New York Post article and I'm in "Julia Sugarbaker mode":

Look...just because we enjoy trips to Disney World does not mean that we're a bunch of uncultured dolts. I too, also like to visit cities around the country and take in the local culture. One of these days, I'd also like to travel abroad, which I haven't been able to do. (I can't find anyone willing to go with me and I don't feel comfortable traveling overseas by myself.) But, I also like the Disney Parks and have no issue with being a single, childless millenial traveling solo there. Enjoying Disney and enjoying more “authentic” experiences are not mutually exclusive.

As someone who just got personally "Disney Shamed" for the same exact reasons the writer of that drivel stated (and by someone who's supposed to be my friend, mind you) I'm actually starting to get a wee bit angry here. It's like people are using our love for Disney as some excuse to feel "culturally superior" to us, which is a HUGE pet peeve of mine. I really can't stand that "I'm better than you" attitude that some people tend to have, which is why I'm in rant mode. Whoever the heck this writer is knows nothing about me and he certainly can't glean who I am and what I'm about from the mere fact that I enjoy traveling to Disney.

Bottom line: If you don't like it, fine. It's not for everyone. But it's for me. And as long as my going to Disney isn't costing you any of your money or any of your time or not affecting your life in any way, shape, form or fashion, I would highly suggest those who feel the need to make a negative comment about it to just keep their opinions to themselves and let me do me.

Last edited:

I actually just read the New York Post article and I'm in "Julia Sugarbaker mode":

Look...just because we enjoy trips to Disney World does not mean that we're a bunch of uncultured dolts. I too, also like to visit cities around the country and take in the local culture. One of these days, I'd also like to travel abroad, which I haven't been able to do. (I can't find anyone willing to go with me and I don't feel comfortable traveling overseas by myself.) But, I also like the Disney Parks and have no issue with being a single, childless millenial traveling solo there. As someone who just got personally "Disney Shamed" for the same exact reasons the writer of that drivel stated (and by someone who's supposed to be my friend, mind you) I'm actually starting to get a wee bit angry here. It's like people are using our love for Disney as some excuse to feel "culturally superior" to us, which is a HUGE pet peeve of mine. I really can't stand that "I'm better than you" attitude that some people tend to have, which is why I'm in rant mode. Whoever the heck this writer is knows nothing about me and he certainly can't glean who I am and what I'm about from the mere fact that I enjoy traveling to Disney.

Bottom line: If you don't like it, fine. It's not for everyone. But it's for me. And as long as my going to Disney isn't costing you any of your money or any of your time or not affecting your life in any way, shape, form or fashion, I would highly suggest those who feel the need to make a negative comment about it to just keep their opinions to themselves and let me do me.
"...and that Marjorie, just so you will know, and your children will someday know..." :-)

While I’m thinking of these things...I wonder if this’ll come up on the show tomorrow. I’d be interested to hear the team’s viewpoint on an all this.

I saw this on two major networks over the weekend. Whether it is someone's attempt to get their 30 minutes of fame, or a truly frustrated parent, it was actually posted on Twitter. My only response to her would be "then you better keep your kid off cruise ships, Bourbon St., Beale St., etc., etc.". These are all "adult" party areas, but I do not see them banning children.

The entitlement she expressed was so over the top, I kinda wished I was there to listen to her rant...I would have shut her down hard!!

Disney would go bankrupt without childless couples because the families with all of the kids have no money because they are supporting all of those kids. I feel for her child. This woman sounds very unhappy.

I read this and thought about a co-worker a few years ago... We are a big DISNEY fan-ily I have a DD who's a CM. We know lots of cool tips, hints, strategy to maneuver around the park. Anyway... my co-worker declined my attempt to assist her with planning her Spring Break trip. Didn't believe you needed to plan a Disney trip. Result? Park was at capacity, they arrived mid-morning to see Main Street wall-to-wall humanity. Had photopass take one pic of the family and turned around, went to guest services, complained, got money back and left. Yep. plan.

And taking little ones? We took our kids at 3 and 5. Over the years kids grew... now we go as a family of adults to enjoy different aspects of the park.

Look...just because we enjoy trips to Disney World does not mean that we're a bunch of uncultured dolts. I too, also like to visit cities around the country and take in the local culture. One of these days, I'd also like to travel abroad, which I haven't been able to do. (I can't find anyone willing to go with me and I don't feel comfortable traveling overseas by myself.) But, I also like the Disney Parks and have no issue with being a single, childless millenial traveling solo there. Enjoying Disney and enjoying more “authentic” experiences are not mutually exclusive.

As someone who just got personally "Disney Shamed" for the same exact reasons the writer of that drivel stated (and by someone who's supposed to be my friend, mind you) I'm actually starting to get a wee bit angry here. It's like people are using our love for Disney as some excuse to feel "culturally superior" to us, which is a HUGE pet peeve of mine. I really can't stand that "I'm better than you" attitude that some people tend to have, which is why I'm in rant mode. Whoever the heck this writer is knows nothing about me and he certainly can't glean who I am and what I'm about from the mere fact that I enjoy traveling to Disney.

Oh man, never study film at the graduate level. I met a whole bunch of people who'd just decided anything Disney was inherently bad and would shame anyone who pointed out the (often glaring) holes in their analysis of movies they sometimes hadn't even seen.

Oh man, never study film at the graduate level. I met a whole bunch of people who'd just decided anything Disney was inherently bad and would shame anyone who pointed out the (often glaring) holes in their analysis of movies they sometimes hadn't even seen.
Let me guess...are these people vinyl jazz record collectors too who insists on drinking only craft beer and cocktails?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!