Monorail Resorts ~ please help me pick one!

SandraC

Longs for the feeling of sandy salt water in her k
Hi all! If we can get a good rate, I think we might consider 3 or 4 nights at a monorail resort. Thing is, I am so confused which one to pick! We plan 1 - 2 nights at the beach, 3- 4 nights at Swan or Dolphin and 3 -4 nights at a monorail resort.

We are: me, dh, dd (10), ds (4) ~ ages based on next trip.

We have stayed at CBR and CSR in the past.

Here are my thoughts on the resorts, please help me sort out my thoughts.

(1) Contemporary: at first, I would have said we would stay there because as a little girl I was so impressed with it, it was like a dream to stay there. But looking into it now, I don't thinks it's got all the neat stuff we are used to. We went to Chef Mickey's and the decor didn't do anything for me. But the little girl in me thinks it's neat!

(2) Poly: believe it or not, I don't remember the Poly when I was little. I know it was there, but I didn't notice it, duh! We did Ohanas and I liked the look of the Poly.

(3) Grand Floridian: We walked around GF when dd was at the Tea Party and it was nice, but I don't think it's up my alley. In 1998 I thought I really wanted to stay at GF because it's supposed to be "the best". But once I went there, it didn't have the toys we are used to at CBR and CSR.

So none of the monorail resorts jump out at me. The great thing about them to me is they are close to MK.

SO PLEASE HELP! WHICH ONE! S

We've stayed at the GF a few times. I love it! :) The new pool and the courtyard pool are both nice, the views of the castle are awesome, the restaurants are great, the monorail is nice to have, it's super close to MK, the marina has lots of water mice and pontoons you can rent, the lobby is beautiful, the shops are neat to check out, it's a great place to watch the fireworks and EWP, I could go on and on. ;)

I also love the YC. :)

We are staying at the Poly for the first time tomorrow. So I don't know what my opinion is on it yet.

SandraC, my vote goes to the Poly. That is the only monorail resort that I haven't stayed at yet, and I have read a lot of nice things about it over the years. Since you didn't say anything negative about it in your post, I think that may be a good reason for you to choose it. If you want to throw another wrench into your plans, consider the Wilderness Lodge. Sure, it's not a monorail resort, but it does have easy access to the Magic Kingdom via boat service.

Polynesian has a great pool :D I don't really care for the GF. The CR is very nice but I remember last time we stayed there the pool (slide) closed earlier than the other resorts.

The only monorail resort we've ever stayed at is the Poly. I absolutely love this resort. It is definitely the best themed of the three. You can also walk right over to TTC far easy access to Epcot.
:earsboy: :sunny:

Never stayed at the GF. Poly is great. New pool should be a lot a fun, we'll see in June. The old pool slide there was one of my favorites as a kid. Contemporary is really neat if you have a towe room. Nothing like stepping out of your room and seeing the monoral in the Grand Canyon Concourse. The tower rooms also offer views of either the MK fireworks or the electrical water pageant. If you con't go with a tower room then go with the Polynesian. What else are you looking for in a resort? You make reference to things but don't elaborate on them in your original question.

I personally don't think you'll make a bad choice with any of the 3 monorail resorts. We've stayed at the Contemporary and the GF. Haven't tried the Poly but I would like to some day. The Contemporary was nice...big rooms BUT it does need a facelift. However, it's very special just as you mentioned, because you thought it was so neat as a little girl. There's something nostalgic and magical. The GF was very nice. We could hear the howling from the Haunted Mansion and the tooting of the train from our room.

Either way - you won't go wrong. I'd say pick from the theme that appeals to you the most. Although I think it's hard to name a theme to the Contemporary - but again, it's very magical. Plus you can walk to MK.

PamNC

Polynesian would get our vote...very magical, relaxing and the best transportation on property. Love the GF too but not as much except at Christmas. One of the advantages of all three is that you can very easily visit the other two for meals, shopping or just to wander about the grounds.

Another vote for the Poly! I love everything about it and I have stayed there many times. I also like the added bonus of a direct monorail to Epcot by walking over to the TTT.

Another Poly vote! Although I have thought about staying at the Epcot resorts my family vetos me everytime. They love the Poly!
After visiting all the monorail resorts the Polynesian is the only one I would stay at . It is soooooo relaxing with the plants and the piped in music. The view can't be beat, you are directly across from the MK. Setting on the beach watching the parade and the fireworks is romantic and magical! My daughter loves the volcano pool and slide. The resort is laid back and very enjoyable!!
I really am homesick for the place and can't wait to get back to paradise!

Sandra,

Your kids would probably like the CR best--the monorail going through it and the arcade are awesome. Plus it has a great food court. Your kids will love it for the same reason you loved it as a kid.

Next favorite for your kids would be the Poly. Volcano pool is cool, view of the castle is good, beautiful grounds, and OHana.

Your kids may be too young to appreciate GF, although many children do stay there.

Your own choices may be in reverse order.

My suggestion: If you want to impress your kids, stay at CR. If you wouldn't enjoy staying there, go with Poly. Everyone will probably love that.

Does the Poly pool have a zero depth entry? My kids would love that! S

...like you've answered your own question. My vote would be for the Poly, also. We were just there for Sunday services last August, and I was thoroughly impressed. I, too, feel that the GF is a bit too "hoidy-toidy" for me and CR is just an outdated resort. It's concept was GREAT back in the late 70's, but it's WAY past it's time (JMHO!) The Poly, on the other hand, makes you feel like you've been swept away to another part of the world, and it's volcano pool sure looks AWESOME!!

I've stayed twice at the GF and once at the Poly.

1) The Grand Floridian remains my favorite resort to this day. I love it there! On our first stay my 2 sons were 9 and 6. They enjoyed it thoroughly! There's so much to do at this resort from renting water mice to swimming in the two pools (we only had the original pool during our first trip). The grounds are lovely, full of beautiful flowers and landscaping. The restaurants are some of the best at the World, the shops are nice (even for browsing) and the CM's were friendly and helpful. We never felt out of place here. I also enjoy the large hot tub near the main pool.
Oh, and there's a lovely afternoon tea in the garden view lounge.
And...the next stop on the monorail is MK!
On our second stay there, my sons were 20 and 18 so they enjoyed it on a different level and we still had a great time! We checked in the day the new pool opened. Our room was in Boca Chica overlooking the MK with a somewhat obstructed view but we were able to see the fireworks, the EWP and could hear the Train whistle. Magical!

2)The Poly is my husband's favorite resort. This place is beautiful, tropical and laid back. It is so relaxing! The rooms are spacious for a family of four. It's also very romantic, walking the pathways with the lush and fragrant plants. Our longhouse was the former Moorea and has a nearby walkway to the Ticket and Transportation Center. Very convenient. Or just a quick walk to the GCH to catch the monorail. Yes, the new pool does have zero entry. I would stay here again in a heartbeat and hope to soon!

I have not stayed at the Contemporary so can't comment but you won't go wrong no matter which resort you pick!

Debbie

It looks like my next trip will be right after yours, Sandra. I guess we'll enjoy the long wait together!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter