Moonlight Magic at AK, Sept 2017

We are on a similar schedule this September. We're scheduled to arrive the 5th around lunch and leave the 9th around lunch, so we are trying to maximize park days as well. We also have MNSSHP tickets for the 7th (as well as the Keys to the Kingdom tour during that day) We are enjoying Food & Wine the 8th, and I'm hoping to maximize our Animal Kingdom and Pandora experience on the 6th. The only things I have left to do is book this party and make fast passes. At this point, I'm not sure which will come first.

It did not even occur to me that MNSSHP is going on during that time period. We might do that party and the DVC event without paying for any actual park tickets. We were also potentially planning on hitting up Universal instead and doing the DVC event as our only WDW park experience.

So frustrated! I'm staying offsite that first week, but when I saw that first post on the member website about having to have a reservation on-site during the event, I tried getting a studio anywhere for 9/6, but only could get one for 9/5 checking out 9/6. so technically, I'm still at the resort until midnight on 9/6. Waitlisted what I could for 9/6 to 9/7. I needed to call MS about a different issue and then wanted to clarify about what is considered as being "staying on-site". Told him my reservations plans and was told "oh...no....you need to be staying the night of 9/6." I asked are you sure....because technically I'm still a guest until midnight!!! So.....when the member website finally came back on line, by some miracle I was able to snag a studio for the night of 9/6. And then I noticed a studio available for less points at another resort....and the stupid website keeps bringing me back to the home page when I click on "reserve this room". GGgrrrrrrrr and uggghhhhh!!! Unbelievable.

Okay I called MS, only on hold for a couple of minutes. Got what I wanted, it was still there. But still...I have covered all bases for the AK Moonlight Magic....so, you can be rest assured that they will now change the dates!

Okay I called MS, only on hold for a couple of minutes. Got what I wanted, it was still there. But still...I have covered all bases for the AK Moonlight Magic....so, you can be rest assured that they will now change the dates!

Have they opened up reservations for this event yet? I haven't received an email. Thanks!

This whole ordeal with times going up and down and details appearing and disappearing has been a debacle. They could have handled it much better. Just looking forward to getting it booked and hoping they don't change a date at this stage of the game, but it's difficult to put much confidence in them the way it's been handled so far.

What I can almost guarantee happened (give or take specific details) is they WERE going to have booking on 6/15 (and for all on 6/22), but halted all new website operations (including the booking option for this event) until they fixed the site problems and were stable for a period of time. That's when they decided to take down the page with the dates and additional detail. Then, as part of trying to get the site back up and running, an engineer restored a section of the website from a backup that was taken during the time the updated information was up, and thereby inadvertently re-posted it further exacerbating the "debacle".

Unfortunately, I've been through this far too many times. It happens. Just keep thinking "free mickey ice cream bars" and all will be fine :)

Have they opened up reservations for this event yet? I haven't received an email. Thanks!

No, they haven't opened reservations yet, but they did post information a couple weeks ago, but then took it down. And according to the CM is spoke to, you have to be staying ON SITE for the night of Sept. 6 (or the 13th? for the following week) in order book first, before "others" can.

We went last year also.....it was really great, wasn't it?

I spoke with MS yesterday and was told that they weren't going to send emails to members - rather they were just going to post the registration link on the site. She said that the link was supposed to be live later in the day. Obviously that didn't happened. I'm just checking back a few times each day.

What I can almost guarantee happened (give or take specific details) is they WERE going to have booking on 6/15 (and for all on 6/22), but halted all new website operations (including the booking option for this event) until they fixed the site problems and were stable for a period of time. That's when they decided to take down the page with the dates and additional detail. Then, as part of trying to get the site back up and running, an engineer restored a section of the website from a backup that was taken during the time the updated information was up, and thereby inadvertently re-posted it further exacerbating the "debacle".

Unfortunately, I've been through this far too many times. It happens. Just keep thinking "free mickey ice cream bars" and all will be fine :)
If I'm planning for a rip roaring time at Dollywood and this comes up, I get it, stuff happens.
But at $150-$170 per point for membership, Disney has upped the anti when it comes to expectations. Unfortunately, they have not delivered with the handling of the booking of this event, hopefully the event itself will far outshine and make us forget about this.

If I'm planning for a rip roaring time at Dollywood and this comes up, I get it, stuff happens.
But at $150-$170 per point for membership, Disney has upped the anti when it comes to expectations. Unfortunately, they have not delivered with the handling of the booking of this event, hopefully the event itself will far outshine and make us forget about this.

I did not plan my vacation around this event. It says "dates are subject to change". Plus if there is a terrible storm, they will cancel. This is considered a perk....they really don't have to offer these moonlight madness events. They are also subjected to the whims of Disney corporate and the unions. I cannot imagine how much these events cost DVC....or whatever the marketing arm of DVC is called. All the employees have to be paid, the electric and all needs to be paid for the extra 3 hours, transportation for people leaving and going back to their resorts. Not to mention the "free" Mickey Bars, snacks and beverages. I'm sure after this year's events are over, we will never see things like this again. The cost and hassle and complaints are probably not worth it for them. I don't think any current DVC members will add on to their contracts directly thru DVC because of this nice event......although there are a vast amount of members that have no idea that a resale market exists.

That being said, whomever runs their IT should be fired. It's not like they don't have the money to hire the best and use the most advanced technology available.

I did not plan my vacation around this event. It says "dates are subject to change". Plus if there is a terrible storm, they will cancel. This is considered a perk....they really don't have to offer these moonlight madness events. They are also subjected to the whims of Disney corporate and the unions. I cannot imagine how much these events cost DVC....or whatever the marketing arm of DVC is called. All the employees have to be paid, the electric and all needs to be paid for the extra 3 hours, transportation for people leaving and going back to their resorts. Not to mention the "free" Mickey Bars, snacks and beverages. I'm sure after this year's events are over, we will never see things like this again. The cost and hassle and complaints are probably not worth it for them. I don't think any current DVC members will add on to their contracts directly thru DVC because of this nice event......although there are a vast amount of members that have no idea that a resale market exists.

That being said, whomever runs their IT should be fired. It's not like they don't have the money to hire the best and use the most advanced technology available.

My point is that if you want to charge premium prices, you will be held to a very high standard. Even if Victoria and Alberts throws in a "free" dessert every now and then with my $500 dinner for two, you can still bet it will be judged to a high standard and rightfully so.
However, I do recognize all your points about these events and I'm glad that they have them and I'm sure I'm being to harsh a critic in the midst of my frustration of the IT involved with this event. I'm also really excited to go and will happily move on and forget all the blunders, so really I'm just venting to you guys.

My point is that if you want to charge premium prices, you will be held to a very high standard. Even if Victoria and Alberts throws in a "free" dessert every now and then with my $500 dinner for two, you can still bet it will be judged to a high standard and rightfully so.
However, I do recognize all your points about these events and I'm glad that they have them and I'm sure I'm being to harsh a critic in the midst of my frustration of the IT involved with this event. I'm also really excited to go and will happily move on and forget all the blunders, so really I'm just venting to you guys.

I totally get your frustration. I'm feeling it too. Last year, for this same event, it was "call on June 3rd to get your reservation". And there was not a stipulation about staying on or off site. So when I saw the "new rules" posted (and then removed soon after) about how those staying on-site would have first dibs, and reservations would be on-line ONLY this year, I started to scramble since I'm staying offsite that week. Long story short (see earlier post about what is considered staying on-site) . I really did not mind staying on-site in a studio since I was able to get one for Tues nite to Wed nite, but when the MS person informed me that I would have to be staying wed nite to thurs, I fell apart! I have since been able to snag a studio for Wed to Thurs, but then I started to think about how many times members are given wrong information by clueless MS peeps....and wonder if I fell apart for no reason. Anyway, all is good in my world. I'm really happy with where we are staying....really wanted to stay at AK, but the convenience of parking and visiting two parks (while my off site place sits waiting for us) really reinforces the fact that I need to dump my other place!! It's a great place, but it's not Disney.

Finger crossed that maybe tomorrow? Monday?

Finger crossed that maybe tomorrow? Monday?

It will definitely be tomorrow! Unless, of course, it's a different day. Then, it will not be tomorrow.

It could also be on Tuesday. But, then again, maybe not until Wednesday..... or a later date.

It's definitely coming up, though! That is the good news :)

I intend to be there on 9/6, and will win whack-a-dino 3X in a row just like last year. (and then give away the prizes since I don't really want them. :D )

And the sun will come out tomorrow......will be looking for a Donald with a light saber on 9/6. Did not win a thing last year......look out!!

All kidding aside, it was a really, really nice thing at AK last year. Hoping to get on board for this year too.

UPDATE: It's already booked up as of Friday.

Rats!

Oh well.

UPDATE 2: Just kidding. Everybody relax! I'm sure we'll all get to go.

No, they haven't opened reservations yet, but they did post information a couple weeks ago, but then took it down. And according to the CM is spoke to, you have to be staying ON SITE for the night of Sept. 6 (or the 13th? for the following week) in order book first, before "others" can.

We went last year also.....it was really great, wasn't it?

Goodness yes! It was amazing!!! Really... such a nice perk! It wasn't crowded at all! The character meet and greets were awesome, plenty of snacks, fast passes, free games... we rode Everest 5 times in a row! My son still talks about it! We're SO excited to go this year!!!! ❤️°O°

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!