Moonlight magic question, bear with me...

I'm not holding my breath that they will fix this issue, but it's good to know for the next event if we actually can make it for another one next year.

For the Moonlight Magic Events, they pulled a list reservations and the associated member ID that it was booked under. They apparently didn't look for multiple memberships, just the one used to book the room. If the member id was not eligible for Membership Magic, the room reservation was not added to the list of valid room reservations.

I'm guessing that Disney IT wanted the booking website to be simplified, if you have a reservation during that time period and a qualifying reservation, then your in. If not you have to call and have a CM book it for you. They didn't want to spend the time to setup the website for members with multiple member ID's, probably to many "what if" or "if not" statements in the code.

It makes sense that a database of membership IDs wouldn’t necessarily establish a connection between two which happen to have common ownership. I agree that the member is eligible to attend, and am glad member services was able to fix.

Except I've read more than one report of people who had cash reservations being able to book online without issue. That should not have happened if the above were the process to qualify for online booking.

Ah well, with Disney IT it's difficult to determine what is IT issue and what is on purpose but with so many people having issues who did have the points reservation under a member ID that qualified I'm thinking that glitches were more the issue vs anything matching up.

The events booking software is provided by an outside company to maintain. The company used last year had several issues, I was told that they have switched or will switch to a different company this year so things may get better once they get the bugs worked out.

:earsboy: Bill

Here's what happened to us recently:
1. Booked a stay using our Eligible Member ID.
2. Registered for a Moonlight Magic event.
3. Weeks later, we had to change our reservation because we had an unexpected change in our vacation plans.
4. The new resort reservation was made using points from our non-eligible Member ID.
5. 2 days before the Moonlight Magic event, I received an e-mail from DVC stating that our Moonlight Magic event had been cancelled because our resort reservation was cancelled.
6. I called to ask about it and spent over an hour on the phone with them before having to drop off.
7. They called me back later and said that their process didn't see that I had an Eligible Member ID.
8. They got me set back up with passes to the Moonlight Magic event.

Moral of the story: Don't do this, their systems just aren't that smart (at least right now).

evil resale owner

:rolleyes: Choosing to buy resale to save some bucks scarcely makes one "evil" or their points, "evil". :D

I bought resale for another TS I have and save a LOT, lot of money. I knew I wouldn't get the same bennies as what I bought direct, but I sure didn't care. I bought it because it was cheap and because it was a resort I love. :dogdance:

:rolleyes: Choosing to buy resale to save some bucks scarcely makes one "evil" or their points, "evil". :D

I bought resale for another TS I have and save a LOT, lot of money. I knew I wouldn't get the same bennies as what I bought direct, but I sure didn't care. I bought it because it was cheap and because it was a resort I love. :dogdance:

Evil in the eyes of DVD and the guides.

:earsboy: Bill

So I just called MS and wanted to verify that I would have to book MM over the phone since the points used to book on the MM nights were post 2016. I do own pre-2016 "eligible" points though. He told me that I would have to wait until reservations opened up to all members and could not register during the period where owners staying on points registered. This seems to completely contradict what everyone is posting considering even members staying on cash are booking during the priority period. :headache:

So I just called MS and wanted to verify that I would have to book MM over the phone since the points used to book on the MM nights were post 2016. I do own pre-2016 "eligible" points though. He told me that I would have to wait until reservations opened up to all members and could not register during the period where owners staying on points registered. This seems to completely contradict what everyone is posting considering even members staying on cash are booking during the priority period. :headache:
Do you have more than one membership?

I think you are still eligible to reserve, but if the pre-2016 points are not in the same membership as the eligible points, you will probably have to call MS & explain. The CM maybe didn't see that you have an eligible membersip, too. Just guessing about the CM, but as you can see, others have said all you need is an eligible membership and an on-site reservation. Doesn't even have to be a DVC reservation.

Hope it works out OK for you without a lot of hassle.

We are going in April to MM on our post 6/16 contract points and our direct points are in a different UY contract and were able to book at the earlier booking date for direct owners. I think the CM was not sure what the policy was. I did have to call though, because the website wouldn’t let me book with the reservation I had on non-direct points.

Couldn't be correct - or at least shouldn't be correct. They are allowing people staying on cash reservations onsite to book during the onsite period. If you have qualified points somewhere then that's all you should need. I'd even try booking online when it opens. I think there was actually some mixed results with that - I'd enter the reservation number you have and the qualified member number you have - not the membership you booked under. That is comparable to someone who has booked a hotel room on cash reserving online. If that doesn't work then you'll have to call in.

Couldn't be correct - or at least shouldn't be correct. They are allowing people staying on cash reservations onsite to book during the onsite period. If you have qualified points somewhere then that's all you should need. I'd even try booking online when it opens. I think there was actually some mixed results with that - I'd enter the reservation number you have and the qualified member number you have - not the membership you booked under. That is comparable to someone who has booked a hotel room on cash reserving online. If that doesn't work then you'll have to call in.

I tried every combination of my reservation and contract numbers on the website and it wouldn’t let me book MM. But only took 5 minutes to book by calling. I’m pretty sure the reservation has to be booked with qualified points.

I just looked through which points I used for my May trip. The points were from my resale contract and I was able to reserve my MM tickets online. I don't have multiple UY'S though so I don't know if that makes a difference.

I just looked through which points I used for my May trip. The points were from my resale contract and I was able to reserve my MM tickets online. I don't have multiple UY'S though so I don't know if that makes a difference.

Did you have qualified points (direct points) in that UY?

I tried every combination of my reservation and contract numbers on the website and it wouldn’t let me book MM. But only took 5 minutes to book by calling. I’m pretty sure the reservation has to be booked with qualified points.

People were reporting reserving online with a cash hotel reservation. I have no doubt there were glitches and it didn't work for everyone but by all accounts it did work for some.

Thank you everyone. Hopefully, I don’t have to call. Every time I call MS I feel more confused than before I called. They all seem to have different information there. I do see that a lot of people did book online when using the correct membership number even when staying on cash reservation. I’ll report back in next month when I try this...

Thank you everyone. Hopefully, I don’t have to call. Every time I call MS I feel more confused than before I called. They all seem to have different information there. I do see that a lot of people did book online when using the correct membership number even when staying on cash reservation. I’ll report back in next month when I try this...
I'd love to hear how it goes. We will be in the same boat for September. Our reservation for 9/19 is with our resale points.

I wish you luck. I had to call for the MK event, because although we have a qualifying membership our resort was booked on cash, and I had to call for the AK event as well, because even though we have a qualifying membership, and were staying on points, we were using our resale non-qualifying contract (different resort and UY than non-qualifying membership), both times I tried every possible combination of membership numbers imaginable and it would not work. We will also be trying for the Epcot event, and I am confident that I will have to call again, but I am not worried as it was a relatively easy process.

I wish you luck. I had to call for the MK event, because although we have a qualifying membership our resort was booked on cash, and I had to call for the AK event as well, because even though we have a qualifying membership, and were staying on points, we were using our resale non-qualifying contract (different resort and UY than non-qualifying membership), both times I tried every possible combination of membership numbers imaginable and it would not work. We will also be trying for the Epcot event, and I am confident that I will have to call again, but I am not worried as it was a relatively easy process.

The part that worried me was when he said that I wouldn't be able to book as a member staying onsite because the points I used were ineligible. Unless there is a large conspiracy where all the cash reservation people are lying, this is clearly false. I plan on calling because honestly, I am one of those people that always ends up having to do it the hard way as the easy way never works for me. :( Hopefully, it is just a short phone call.

Just a quick question as I hope to be able to book MM in June for August Epcot date.
Where do we go to book these - is it on the member dashboard or somewhere else?
TIA

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter