More countries in World Showcase?

MKingdom

Earning My Ears
Has anyone heard rumors about more countries to be added to World Showcase in Epcot? I know there's room for more and I heard there's some talk about additions. I just LOVE Epcot!

Thanks!

MKingdom

Since the countries pay for and maintain the pavilions, I think finding one or more that want to do that is the key.

I'd like to see Russia, Australia, a South American country, and an mid/southern African country.

Disney said that they have enough room for about 8 more countries in World Showcase. I guess we'll be seeing some new ones in the future.

Originally posted by raidermatt
Since the countries pay for and maintain the pavilions, I think finding one or more that want to do that is the key.
But that doesn't mean that a country's national government has to pay. It's unlikely that you'll see another country in Epcot until some entity with deep pockets reaches into those pockets. But, again, that doesn't have to mean the country itself would need to foot the bill. Very few of the existing countries have any sponsorship by national governments or official tourism agencies. But there are plenty of corporate sponsors in World Showcase.

If the Swiss multinational company Nestlé offered to pay for a Swiss pavilion (with a ride, restaurant, and shops) in Epcot's World Showcase in addition to its Land pavilion in Epcot's Future World, I'm sure Disney management would be interested.

That's goning to make it a lot harder to drink around the world, But bring it on. :smooth:

It’s been pretty well decided not to add any more countries to World Showcase. Disney thinks it can get more out of having sponsors take over existing pavilions – that’s why Nestle was steered away from the already-designed Swiss pavilion towards sponsoring ‘The Land’. Disney doesn’t make as much money off of World Showcase as they want to. Most of the restaurants and many of the shops are operated by outside companies. Disney simply collects rent and a percentage of the till. Reselling existing buildings and shows has a very good margin.

And with new attractions very few and very far between, Disney is most interested in generating as much excitement as possible. A new country in Epcot just doesn’t having the marketing potential of a new ride in Animal Kingdom.

There were at points in the past confirmed new countries which were never built. I remember hearing stories of signs heralding the coming of these pavillions. Makes you wonder why they fell through. I wish they had left the millennium village intact. That place was so great. I wouldnt mind seeing some of those nations host full pavillions. I promise that when I run WDW I will work towards creating these additional pavillions.

owts, could you please remember to invite in a Thailand pavillion? My only wish for wdw restaurants is to have a Thai place. Indian wouldn't be bad either, but Thai is what I truly wish for.

And no the chicken stand in AK doesn't count.
DR

It's hard to imagine that 8 more WS pavillions could fit. I can only think of 2 places (Outpost and space used by Millenium Village. Even the space adjacent to Germany has operations buildings at the back. Trying to cram small pavillions between countries would give a very tight and uncomfortable feeling to WS. See link below to satellite images of WS, you can negotiate around the site and see that the open space between pavillions is rather tight. Does anyone know where the idea of "8 more pavillions" comes from and where they could possibly put them?

Link to Terraserver]

Does anyone know where the idea of "8 more pavillions" comes from and where they could possibly put them?
I think that may harken back to the original estimate. Remember, there used to be quite a bit of room between England and France before the backdoor was put in.

Not sure though. Just a thought.

The original master plan for World Showcase called for the pavilions to adjoin each other without any "greenspace" between them. That's one of the reasons why they have mostly an urban feel to them. There was also a plan (back before the place opened) to build a secon lagoon behind The American Adventure and surround that with pavilions as well.

you guys are really missing the most important aspect that SNOWGOD mentioned.

I say add RUSSIA and bring on the vodka.

Brer Alex, I didn't miss it. A bottle of Sing Ha at the Thai pavillian would go much better on the trip around the world than a shot of Vodka - I've sworn to only do beer (although the shots in Germany have trapped my every single dang time).

And for that matter, where is the Belgium pavillion???
DR

g-curling, that's a pretty cool map. I agree about the Outpost and Millenium Village. But I think there's still room to be found. I wouldn't be surprised if they tore down some ordinary buildings in order to build more countries.

Seems to me that there's really nothing between the garden entrance to Canada and the front walkway into WS. And near the rear entrance to WS, they could remove that large shop on the way to the boat dock in favor of a country. They could also move the rear entrance back a bit if they wanted to.

AV, I'll bet that's where the big number comes from. I'm sure you've seen all the models in person. I have to rely on the Imagineering book for looks.

For others, you really oughtta get the Imagineering book if you can. Great photos of models, drawings and works in progress. One concept for World Showcase had it at the present site of TTC. Looked like a big futuristic shopping mall. No exterior theming to the countries, it looks awful.

Another Epcot model shows Future World as two spurs off a central hub and World Showcase with the countries butted up against one another. And, there are many more countries. I'm sure glad the Imagineers opted for the version of WS that we got. I wouldn't mind seeing a country get built at the Outpost and perhaps one in place of MV. But, I'd hate to see one adjacent to Canada. I like the front of the lagoon as it is, you have to walk a bit from FW to get to either Canada or Mexico. It makes for a nice transition.

And scoop, it's not "a possible exception", AK absolutely needs more attractions.

Not holding my breath on this--these rumors have arisen many times before, and nothing new yet.
Would like to see a couple new countries, but I'm betting it'll be years, if ever.
Oh-Switzerland and India would be my picks. And Russia, if they could afford it--.

For YEARS, until I was planning our first trip in 1998, I thought that Spaceship Earth WAS EPCOT Center. When people talked about all the different countries, I picured them as shops in a big round shopping mall.

If you ever get a chance, try to catch the TV special that accompanied the World Showcase opening. It's on the Disney Channel every once in awhile at 2 a.m. or so on "Vault Disney." It's a scream!

But it's also sad to see Alex Haley (sp?), author of "Roots" standing there in World Showcase with a big model of the Africa pavillion that was never built. My husband tells me not to mourn the missing Africa pavillion, noting the Harambe section of Animal Kingdom and the fantabulous Animal Kingdom Lodge.

Anyway, one more shout out to the Imagineering book. Incredible!

I was told by an Epcot supervisor that the additional countries would extend perpendicular to the showcase promenade, much in the same way that the International Gateway leads to the Epcot Resort area. Behind the section that has the coca cola outpost and african themed area(between China and Germany) there is a rather large body of water that serves as a reservoir. I was told that they could easily fit four countries behind this section in this manner. You also have space between Morocco and France for another addition.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter