More points or cruise?

TinkB278

DIS Veteran
Hello! I am in a bit of a predicament and could use the opinions of other dvc ers. I was planning on buying some direct points at the new poly tower as I was sure it would be a new association, but now that it is allegedly not, I don’t feel the need to buy any more points as I have enough direct and resale that I will use to try to book there at 7 months. Since I felt like I had enough points with poly going to the original association, I entertained the thought of a Disney cruise for the first time as a change of scenery with a trip to the ocean sounds great. I was planning on doing a four night cruise on the wish, however the total came to about 5k (not including things like transfers, gratuity, excursions, etc) and now all my DVC obsessed brain can think about is how I will spend that $5k and it will be gone, whereas if I spent it on some more dvc points I could use those for 30-40 more years. This has lead to paralyzing indecision and I’m not sure what to do. I don’t necessarily NEED more points but the idea of the money going to years of vacations vs a one time cruise sounds nice. On the other hand, a change in vacation sounds great as well. Has anyone else been stuck in this mindset before? Curious on how you decided one way or another!

My wife is having me look at various Fairmont properties in Canada because she wants to be sure I don’t spend all of our vacation cash on points and Disney trips….

More points also includes more closing costs and future dues… so $5000 is really $1000 in closing costs and $4000 in points. That’s about 26 points and $208 in annual dues….

I’d go on the cruise…

My wife is having me look at various Fairmont properties in Canada because she wants to be sure I don’t spend all of our vacation cash on points and Disney trips….

More points also includes more closing costs and future dues… so $5000 is really $1000 in closing costs and $4000 in points. That’s about 26 points and $208 in annual dues….

I’d go on the cruise…
The dues are what’s kept me from feeling like I need more points in light of the poly news. This is good to keep bringing to the forefront of my mind. Thanks!

Agree on avoiding the Wish. We did our first Disney cruise on the Wish and came away with the feeling that our expectations were way too high. We also felt completely validated in our DVC purchases, so much so that we bought into VGF on our debarkation day. We will do another Disney cruise but not a 4 day and not the Wish.

Agree on avoiding the Wish. We did our first Disney cruise on the Wish and came away with the feeling that our expectations were way too high. We also felt completely validated in our DVC purchases, so much so that we bought into VGF on our debarkation day. We will do another Disney cruise but not a 4 day and not the Wish.
Oh interesting! What did you feel most let down about? Thanks for sharing your experience!

Cruise. But not on the wish. Cruise on the fantasy. Cheaper and a longer cruise.
Also agree with avoiding the Wish. Don't like the layout of the Triton-class ships (Wish, Treasure). Not having the mid-ship elevator bank was an issue (less efficient movement around the ship, and missing that energy/vibe that the older ships have in the atrium lobby).

The Dream-class ships (Dream and Fantasy) are the "gold standard" for Disney ships. Plus, their cost is cheaper than the Wish.

DCL Cruising is a nice break from the parks, IMO. We did this one year to allow us to get out of borrow mode... a bit out. LOL. We do cruise every few years and yes, it is expensive but we do spend more going to WDW because we go twice/thrice a year.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter