Most Friendly DVC resort w/Walking Isssues

nezy

DIS Veteran
We are planning a DVC family trip for next August. The group is varied in ages, lids from 8 to 19. Adults from 38 to 80.
I am wondering what is the most friendly resort for someone who has trouble walking but does not choose to use any assistance such as a scooter, wheelchair or even a walker.

We will have a car.
So basically in what resort would it be easy for my Mom to get around to restaurants or pool areas or common areas. I never realized just how much walking we actually do from car to room to lobby, etc. My SIL wanted to stay at Beach Club because we know the kids would love the pool area and convenience to DHS and EPCOT. But I was thinking BLT may be best for mom. Beach Club may work if we get a villa near the back lot. Then I could always drive mom to the lobby area if she wanted to go out there. I have no experience w/VGF so have no idea. OKW does not have elevators so unless we get a ground floor that won't work. AKV-never stayed but seems spread out. VWL may also work-seems like a smaller area of ground to cover to get to restaurants, pool, lobby. I think BWV has long hallways and too much walking no matter what.

Any thoughts?

boy it is hard when your parents get older and refuse to realize it.

my mother was the same way - flat out refused to have a wheelchair - say she did not need it - but when I walked at my normal pace - she screamed and if that did not work she cried.

then I had surgery and had to have a wheelchair for me. well it worked better as a surport for me - so she decided to sit in the wc - well she never got out of it.

so would take a wheelchair - if necessary put one of the kids in it - really think she will feel the need - especially if she wants to be with you at the parks.:love:

the park depends upon you and your family - which is the favorite park - Studios or MK. If MK then definitely stay at the BLT - but if Studios then would go with bcv or even bwv - remember you will have a wheelchair.

Hi, I have some walking issues myself, (and I do refuse to use any aids..) and of the ones we have tried, BLT wins hands down. The footprint is really small, and there are no great distances to anything. The monorail and busses are close enough to never have bothered me, the distance that is.
Last year we tried Kidani for a week, that was a nightmare walk from the end of the horn and in to the reception. So would not recommend that.
Now, BLT is point pricey so an option would be Saratoga, that do have elevators and parking close to the buildings. But you would need the car as it can be quite the trek there as well.

Best parking in DVCs:
1. SSR - Tree Houses
2. OKW
3. SSR
4. VB
5. AK - Kidani
6. BLT
7. AKL and VWL - about same distance
8. BCV
9. HH
10. BWV

Have not stayed at VGF.
SSR has elevators in all buildings.
VB & AK - Kidani has parking under the building and elevators.

If getting to the pool and common areas/restaurants is the only concern then the condo style resorts (OKW and SSR) will be the best because you can drive up virtually to the front door and drive your Mom where you want to go and you won't have to worry about what location you are assigned. At OKW if you put a request of ground floor or building with elevator due to medical reason they should be able to accommodate.

BLT would be my next choice. None of the hallways are terribly long and then you would take an elevator down to the front door. It's not too long of a walk over to the CR and the pool is just out the back or you could even drive her lobby to lobby.

VGF would probably be next on my list. Once again the halls are not long and you can pull the car right up to the lobby area and even drive her over to the GF if it ended up being too long of a walk and one of the pools and quick service locations is very close to the villas.

I'd absolutely skip BCV, BWV and Jambo - some areas of each resort could work but it's way to dependent on requests. Kidani might work with the car because parking is under the Villas. Hallways are long but as crazy as it might sound you could take the elevator down to the car and drive her to the resort lobby. VWL would fall someplace in the middle.

If transportation to the parks was going to come into play then I'd still stick with OKW and SSR - you could drive her right to the bus stop or pick her up at the door and drive to the parks. The BLT bus stop is not too far and there is the monorail access although I think Epcot from the monorail resorts is tough - you need to get to the monorail and take it to the TTC. Then it's down a ramp and back up a ramp to switch to the Epcot monorail and I suspect that would be tiring. I'd also throw VWL into the mix because the bus stop is close to the villas, there is a pool right by the villas and the restaurants are not a long walk as long as you didn't assigned to the very end of the building.

BCV, BWV, Jambo and Kidani and VGF the buses can be a very long walk.

It took an injury for my Mom to finally agree to a wheelchair - prior to that she had decided it was too much for her to go far at all. Once she got the wheelchair it suddenly opened things back up for her and she was right beside us all the way and she was always wondering when our next trip to Disney would be. :goodvibes

We are planning a DVC family trip for next August. The group is varied in ages, lids from 8 to 19. Adults from 38 to 80.
I am wondering what is the most friendly resort for someone who has trouble walking but does not choose to use any assistance such as a scooter, wheelchair or even a walker.

We will have a car.
So basically in what resort would it be easy for my Mom to get around to restaurants or pool areas or common areas. I never realized just how much walking we actually do from car to room to lobby, etc. My SIL wanted to stay at Beach Club because we know the kids would love the pool area and convenience to DHS and EPCOT. But I was thinking BLT may be best for mom. Beach Club may work if we get a villa near the back lot. Then I could always drive mom to the lobby area if she wanted to go out there. I have no experience w/VGF so have no idea. OKW does not have elevators so unless we get a ground floor that won't work. AKV-never stayed but seems spread out. VWL may also work-seems like a smaller area of ground to cover to get to restaurants, pool, lobby. I think BWV has long hallways and too much walking no matter what.

Any thoughts?
There are a lot of variables including your personal approach. Having the car will help but then it depends on whether you're walking to a parked car or driving to pick up. Stairs vs elevators are also an issue. Other factors include things like which parks, Dining Plan, use of WC/Scooter, etc. From a parking standpoint I'd say SSR is best overall unless you get a HC unit then OKW is likely best. You can always make requests but they are not guaranteed even for medical reasons but are usually fulfilled which is why I'd put OKW a little lower. As long as you're willing to use the car a lot, Kidani is good because you can get to an elevator pretty easily and pick up drop off using the car. BLT and VGF should be pretty good. BWV is likely the worst in this situation.

Let me also add that all the resorts have some complimentary wheelchairs for use around the resort. They are first come first served so not guaranteed but if the walking seems to be too much you can always check and see if one is available for use.

I think SSR is your best bet with a car. Parking is right outside the building, and all the buildings have elevators.

We were just there in December with my 89 yo mother. She never used a wheelchair before (but should have), but I borrowed one from a friend. SSR worked well for that, as we drive everywhere. She didn't go out much with us, but when she did, it worked well.

I would request a location near transportation as well. We stayed in Paddock and were right next to the pool and counter service.

Good luck with whatever you decide!

ETA...I've stayed with my elderly parents (never using a wheelchair) at BLT, BWV, Kidani, OKW and SSR. Out of all those, I think I prefer SSR for those circumstances. At Kidani, I tried requested near the pool elevator area, trying to minimize walking between pool/lobby/parking, and ended up in the fourth bead of the south wing....medical request NOT MET.

Thank you for all of the helpful advice.
It is good to know that there are wheelchairs at the resorts if needed. I will try to get one. I am hoping because all of her children and most of her grandchildren and possibly her great-grandchildren will be on the trip that my mom will be a little more motivated to try something out of her comfort zone to be with us all and that will in the end actually make the trip more enjoyable to her.

Every year I ask her to join us, but she says she doesn't want to slow us down or be a burden or that she will be too uncomfortable. When I her told we were all planning on going at the same time she jumped right on it. Mom lives in Florida, west palm bch area, and we all live in NY so having us altogether under one roof at the same time is pixiedust:a special event.

I wasn't thinking OKW - because of the lack of elevators.

I don;t mind playing shuttle driver to and from a lobby or restaurant if that whats it takes.
I know mom will not go to parks. She stopped that long ago even before she had the mobility issues.

BTW-Muhlenberg-God Bless Your 89 year old mom.

I know mom will not go to parks. She stopped that long ago even before she had the mobility issues.
Then I'd say AKV because of the animals, VGF, VWL or BLT to give her more to occupy her while others are at the parks. As for the wheelchairs, they require a deposit but you can take them to the parks, etc and use them as you would your own. You have to ask for one with a lock if you want that.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter