Most Popular Aulani Studio View - Island or Standard?

BWV Dreamin

DIS Veteran
So I am looking to book an Aulani trip for May 2019. A studio is fine for the both of us. My question is Island View any better than Standard View? We will be staying 10 days and do like to sit out on the balcony. Any particular location better to ask for (buildings, wings, etc?). TIA!!

Thanks! I have had people tell me the island view is no better than the standard, which I understand looks at walls and buildings and parking lot. I was just wondering if its safer to go with OV or just book the standard if island view is no better. We are view people but I even wonder if one can really even see the ocean from ocean view?

Well, my family was VERY disappointed with our ocean view 2 bedroom last February when we were THRILLED with our ocean view two bedroom in September 2015. The problem is, my family DID NOT COMPLAIN TO ME until we got home.

Great OV!

DE36856F-5467-4DEF-AD6D-7039FEBD87FB.jpeg 38EC91B6-255D-4334-B9B5-2D329F481D5A.jpeg

I do not have any pictures of the harder to see ocean view. I see that had we been closer to the elevators last year, we would have had a lesser point view. I definitely would have asked to move if I know how unhappy my family was. I was disappointed, but if you looked to the right you saw the ocean, I figured someone had to get the view. However now when I see how the rest of the Villas on that side are not ocean view, I think they should be reclassified.

My understanding is that the State of Hawaii has some criteria for views and you can't market something as an ocean view if you can't see the ocean. Here are the two ocean views we've had:

From inside so you can see the ocean for reference:

p1493669140-4.jpg

p1493669538-4.jpg

And the next trip we were in the wing on the other side of the pool:

Aulani room view.jpg

So I am looking to book an Aulani trip for May 2019. A studio is fine for the both of us. My question is Island View any better than Standard View? We will be staying 10 days and do like to sit out on the balcony. Any particular location better to ask for (buildings, wings, etc?). TIA!!

I know it depends on the individual, but unless your house/office has a view of the ocean or you visit Hawaii or any place near an ocean regularly, it's worth it to splurge on OV at AUL. Looking at the ocean from a balcony is different from seeing it from the beach.

LAX

Standard view looks over the convention center and island view can look at the mountains or have a partial ocean view. Big difference between standard and island IMO as Island has distant views. Definitely look at the link in post 2.

Be aware that if your intent is to book at 7 months out, the chances of getting a standard view studio are very low as they usually fill before 7 months out (likewise if considering hotel room), and, particularly if seeking 10 days total, you might also find island garden view missing some days during May. Ocean View is usually readily open at that time of year.

Be aware that if your intent is to book at 7 months out, the chances of getting a standard view studio are very low as they usually fill before 7 months out (likewise if considering hotel room), and, particularly if seeking 10 days total, you might also find island garden view missing some days during May. Ocean View is usually readily open at that time of year.

Yes, a standard view grand villa has been unavailable for our time frame ever since we began looking. I guess folks who own at Aulani do not need the ocean view each time. We are happy that the ocean view grand villa is still opened as we near our dates.

This is correct. The cheapest view villas/rooms tend to always go first. We have stayed at Aulani a few times and always booked OV. We had fabulous views of the ocean each time. Because of the footprint of the resort, one would almost always be looking down at the Waikalohe Valley (pool complex), and then up and out one would see the ocean in an OV room. We have stayed twice in an OV 1 bedroom and once in an OV Studio. Both towers, and again, great views each time. Oh, and no problem booking this view at 7 months out.

Yes, a standard view grand villa has been unavailable for our time frame ever since we began looking. I guess folks who own at Aulani do not need the ocean view each time. We are happy that the ocean view grand villa is still opened as we near our dates.

Awesome! What month will you be booking, Bobbiwoz? I am planning on booking an OVGV at my 7 month window too. Good luck to you! :dogdance:

I have read on here that a pool-view with a high floor has a pretty good view of the ocean. That is what I'm going to try to book for July 2020.

This is correct. The cheapest view villas/rooms tend to always go first. We have stayed at Aulani a few times and always booked OV. We had fabulous views of the ocean each time. Because of the footprint of the resort, one would almost always be looking down at the Waikalohe Valley (pool complex), and then up and out one would see the ocean in an OV room. We have stayed twice in an OV 1 bedroom and once in an OV Studio. Both towers, and again, great views each time. Oh, and no problem booking this view at 7 months out.

Awesome! What month will you be booking, Bobbiwoz? I am planning on booking an OVGV at my 7 month window too. Good luck to you! :dogdance:
September 17-24 this year. How about you?

pixiedust:

February 2019.... a little nervous about it, but I think I will be okay. Been watching 7 month availability for some time. You are CLOSE to booking! Woohoo!

The local DVC owners at Aulani, don't book for the view they book for a great staycation for the family. So that means they will book the cheapest room available. They are definitely true DVC owners. Personally as an Aulani owner, I prefer to have an Ocean View room. And since we travel with just the two of us, we book a studio and opt for a room in Ewa tower, one of the rooms with angled balcony so we can have two night stands. The rooms with the straight balcony take space away from the room and there is only room for one night stand in those. Check out the Aulani Villas and Views thread posted above. My DH, wdrl posts about these rooms on that thread.

Thanks! Looks like island view is what we are going to book.

Last edited:

IMO yes, an IV is a lot better than a std. view. I have seen pics of some std. views that were really of nothing at all. At least with IV you have a chance of a possible glimpse of the ocean and you SHOULD have some nice scenic views of the island at a minimum. We had sort of a sunrise view with our IV (did not luck out with any OV on it as the resort was 100% full when we went). The IV rooms book almost as fast as the std. views so be logged in & online to book right at 8:00 am!! It's a fabulous resort - have fun!!

Since we purchased Aulani, we have done OV twice, Pool once, Island once. OV is a no Brainer. Pool was our least favorite, noisy and dark due to the foliage. Since Aulani is point intensive, of its down to that go with IG, but of this is a special once in a long time trip, then go big.

Since we purchased Aulani, we have done OV twice, Pool once, Island once. OV is a no Brainer. Pool was our least favorite, noisy and dark due to the foliage. Since Aulani is point intensive, of its down to that go with IG, but of this is a special once in a long time trip, then go big.

We’re planning a trip for 2019 and are definitely looking to book an OV 1 bedroom. This might be the most ridiculous question, but are you able to hear the ocean from the room with the doors open?? Everything looks huge and far in the pictures I’ve seen.

My in-laws own a condo on Maui that is so close to the ocean that my kids were terrified the first night even though they were in the far bedroom. They were expecting a Tsunami at any minute.:rotfl2: Granted there are drawbacks to being that close as they’re now dealing with a sink hole....

Anyhow, I’m just trying to decide how many nights to stay at Aulani based on that aspect since we have other options but really want to experience Aulani as well!

We're making our first trip to Aulani this fall. Thanks, OP for asking the question and thanks everyone for the input. It will help us make our decision.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!