Mouse vs Paris

LilMagic2000

Earning My Ears
Ok...I feel horrible about this, BUT:
I am debating going to Disneyland Paris (I know, it shouldn't be a question so much as a QUEST!) this November. However, this will be my first EVER trip to Europe...and I have dreamed of Paris since I was in diapers...literally.
Everyone I talk to who has been says there's really SO much to see and do in Paris (I will be there November 10-22) that even 10 full days isn't really enough, so I am wondering if I should try to squeeze in the Mouse or simply wait till another time.
I have been to Disney World more time than I can count, but this IS Disneyland PARIS....
Also, I am a poor college student, and although the time issue right at this moment is outweighing the money issue, I'm still not rolling in the stuff.
I have been waiting 23 years to go to Paris-and have 10 full days to do it. Although I love the Mouse, should I try and do a Disneyland Paris trip while I'm there or should I wait???
Any advice or personal tips is GREATLY appreciated!!!! :wave2:

I just went to Paris with my family. I was there 25 years ago so this was sort of like going again for the 1st time and it was the 1st time for my DH and kids/ We had a week there. We did take one full day to go to DLP and I don't regret it at all. We had a wonderful time ( and some of it is very different) and we still managed to do everything in Paris that we wanted. Of course, we had marathon days but they were all worth it. :cool1:

Since your main trip is to see Europe rather than coming specifically to see Disney, I'd say perhaps consider a day trip to Disneyland Paris. But since it's your first time in Paris, my recommendation is to spend most of the time in Paris. We go to Paris a fair amount (about as much as we go to WDW) since we love it so much, and only on our most recent visit did we stay more than one day at Disneyland Paris, and only since we were in Paris for more than a week beforehand. Don't get me wrong- DLP is absolutely fantastic and magical, but since your primarily thing you're travelling for is to go to Europe, I wouldn't want to spend a lot of time in Disney.

It's really easy to take a day trip from Paris to DLP via the RER (basically a suburban railroad network). So...maybe you can plan for one day in DLP around the middle of your trip, and then if you really want another one you can change your plans a bit and go again later on? If this sounds like a good plan, we can fill you in on exactly how to get there through the RER. :sunny:

With good planning (mainly going during a weekday, getting to the park when it opens, and using Fast Pass) you can definitely do all the rides at DLP in one day, and even get to some of your favorites twice.

One thing you might also want to check is to see when French & UK schools have breaks during your trip (there are others on these boards who can definitely help with that! :) ). Avoid these times if possible!

You'll love Paris- it's going to be a great trip! ::MinnieMo

You should have no problems with either British or French school holidays.
the only day in your dates is November 11th Armistice Day.
From our own and friends' experiences if you want to see Paris stay there and sightsee at your own pace, but do not miss DLRP it's totally different to Disney ORlando.
We did Paris asa day excursion from DLRP and it spoilt the place for us (too rushed). Ioffered DW a trip to paris for our 25 th Wedding anniversary tiip but she refusedpoint blank . I'm glad I did not dod it as a surprise she would probably have hit me.

Berwyn
8 days and counting to Sequoia Lodge DLRP :banana: :banana: :Pinkbounc 29th May 25 th wedding anniversary trip yes lilmagic 2000 she wanted to go back to Disney instead because they looked after us so well last time

I love Paris and DLP so I see your dilemma! I appreciate you really want to see everything Paris has to offer, and seeing the city itself is your main aim, but with 10 full days you could easily go to DLP for a day (or 2) and still have a lot of time to see Paris. As MinnieYC says, if you want to "do" DLP in a day you'll need to get there early and avoid weekends if you possibly can. Some museums and other attractions in Paris are closed on Mondays or Tuesdays, so maybe a day when these attractions are closed in the city would be an ideal day to go to DLP.

I understand your main prority is to see Paris but you have 10 days there and I think you'd kick yourself if you didn't go to DLP, even if it's just a day trip - who knows when you'll be back?? Also the park will be decorated for Christmas and the park is particularly magical at this time of year.

Let us know what you decide!

Rhiannon :wizard:

:Pinkbounc THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH FOR ALL YOUR INPUT!!! :Pinkbounc
Since the verdict stands to try and do Disneyland Paris (and who can really look the Mouse in the eye and say "No"?) I am going to try and aim to hit the park probably on the first Monday we are there, since some of ya'll had mentioned the museums are closed.
Could you please put in some help on that railroad that can get us there? There will be two of us (me and DisneyFriend...ok, so he's really not all THAT into Disney, but I can hit him upside the head when we get there) and we are both 23 if that makes a difference with the adult vs student tickets, if they even exist.
Once again-thank you all so much for your help! :cheer2:

Coming so far and with 10 days for Paris, I'd be very tempted to at least do a day.

Reid

If you have a look at http://www.ratp.info/informer/anglais/index.php and then click on the RER map it shows you how to get from Gare du Nord/Magenta in Paris to Marne-la-Vallee-Chessy by taking the the E4 southbound (towards Tournan - NOT the E2 towards Chelles Gournay) as far as Val de Fontenay and then changing to the A4 eastbound to Marne-la-Vallee-Chessy

If you are planning on using the Paris Museum Pass (let me know if you're not familiar with it, it's a great thing :) ), take note that the museum pass has to be used on consecutive days, which you'll have to take into account when deciding when to go to Disneyland. Also, some of the museums are closed on Tuesdays instead of Mondays.

By the way, on your day at DLP, I'd recommend just going to Disneyland Parc. The Studios is nice, but it's rather small, and you'll have more than enough to do at Disneyland Parc.

Avoid companies that advertise a day trip to Disneyland. They usually jack up the price, and you need to leave Paris and leave the park at the times they set, which usually means not being at the park for the full opening hours. Do try and get to the park when it opens (9AM or 10AM, the official website will eventually have the exact opening schedule for the fall), as it's pretty empty for the first few hours, unlike the quick crowds in the morning at WDW.

Diberry gave the link for the RER, so you can see which line to take. It's an easy trip. It takes 30-40 minutes to get there from Paris, depending on exactly where in Paris you start from. It costs (as of a few months ago) 6 euros each way. I don't believe there is a student ticket available for single RER trips. The RER isn't glamarous, but it's efficient, economical, and safe. Even late at night, the train is filled with people going back to Paris from Disneyland. ::MinnieMo

I'd echo the comments about Disneyland Park. The Studios are fine if you have more time, but I would not waste any part of the day if you are on limited time there.
Early entry really is worth it. In November we had completed 7 rides in the first hour. With DD, DS and DD that was not done at sprinter speeds, just the result of minimal crowds. From 11 - 3pm the crowds really pick-up.
Have a great time and lots of fun planning :goodvibes

Reid

I second what everyone else says, I think you should take a day out to see Disneyland Parc, and give the studios a miss.

For getting the RER, you might want to try and get hold of a copy of Bob Sehlinger's Unofficial Guide To DLP. It's not the best guide, it's quite out of date and innacurate, but it does have very detailed instructions for getting to and from DLP on the RER. It tells you where to find the stations, and which platforms to get, and timings, and is really handy in that respect :)

:cheer2: Now here comes the fun part: PLANNING the trip to Disneyland Paris!!!
Once again, thank you for all of you help and input! I will have to let you know how it all goes and post the trip on the trip boards when we get back! Thanks for all the info-and happy planning to you all too!!! :cheer2:

I'm glad we helped you to make a decision! We definitely want a trip report when you get back!!

Rhiannon :wizard:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter