Moving from Texas to Florida.

flik061195

Earning My Ears
My wife and I are relocating to Florida (Central area). Any tips for the move. What to do when we get there. And anything local that we need to always have on our list?

Remember to get the Fl resident discount on everything you can.

Sunscreen!

Good rain gear & umbrella to keep in the car.

A water filtration system for the kitchen faucet. I have one that you pop onto the faucet itself & it works pretty well for the cost. It saves $$ on bottled water also & produces less waste.

Mosquito repellent & citronella candles or something similar for when you want to hang out outside. Having a screened in patio w/a fan is a Huge plus here.

Terro ant killer works well when you get those little black ants on the counter or on the patio/porch. My dog has never messed with it but I am mindful to put it in places he can't get to anyway.

Not sure what area you're moving to but in the more rural areas & suburbs that aren't far from them, there are wild coyotes so if you have pets or are planning on getting them, it's better to keep them indoors & when they need to go out, supervise them closely. Where I live, neighbors have built PVC solid fences that are 6 feet high so the coyotes are not able to jump or climb over them. I choose to walk my dog on a 6 foot leash & am alert especially when we walk after dark, at dawn or dusk. From my understanding, orange groves will attract them as well as some other critters..

There might/will be various species of snakes in your yard that you'll encounter, even in the suburbs. I found a baby corn snake just chilling underneath a patio couch cushion shortly after I moved here. That was a nice welcome to central FL for me.

I have more tips if you own a dog or cat but won't get more into that unless you actually own one..

If you've never experienced winter months here, it does get Cold! At times, it can get down to the lower 30s & when you add humidity/wind/rain, it can feel even colder so don't throw out your cold weather clothes or warm blankets.

Look into local attractions near you besides theme parks & other local activities & nightlife or day trips. I made the mistake when I first moved here to go to WDW for almost the first month straight & even though I am a huge WDW nerd, I kind of OD'd on it & needed a break. Central FL has so much more to offer besides theme parks & there are plenty of areas that haven't been overly developed (yet..) to explore!

Awesome stuff guys, ty. Will have to think about the adoption thing, do i have to feed you?

We live in Winter Haven (Polk County) which is as Central Florida as you can get. We are about 35-40 minutes from WDW. I agree with everything said above and will add that depending where you live it's really nice to have a boat. There are a lot of lakes in Central Florida. We also have a lot of State Parks within 2 hrs so we do a lot of weekend camping, just not between May and Sept, the heat and humidity are too bad. Again, depending where you are moving to, you will be about an hour and half from each coast, so if you enjoy the beach, beach essentials are nice to keep on hand. I am sure in Texas you also have snakes, lizards, gators and other "dangerous" wildlife. I have lived here all my life and enjoy the outdoors and have never had a bad run in with anything. Hope you have a smooth move and welcome to the Sunshine State.

I live in Avalon Park, which is between WDW and Cocoa Beach. We have a lot of great state parks to camp at, and they are very affordable. Silver Springs is really nice. Definitely Wax your RV, because the sun is going to be brutal on it :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!