Moving to Charlotte, NC need advice Autism services/schools

mdsouth

DIS Veteran
Hello,

My brother and his family are moving to Charlotte, North Carolina from Illinois. He has two sons that are autistic. One is non-verbal, and eleven years old. I am trying to help him determine what service are available in the area and possibly what schools/areas to target live in. Any advice is appreciated.

There are always services available in the public schools as they are required under IDEA. However, services vary greatly from state to state. I am assuming the children have IEPs and the Charlotte Mecklenburg schools are required to implement the IEPs that are already in place. I would suggest your brother contact the Special Education department at
http://www.cms.k12.nc.us/cmsdepartments/ec/Pages/SpecialEducationinCMS.aspx
to assist with answering their questions.
Usually children attend the school closest to their home that has the services they require.

Thank you for your reply. :thumbsup2 I appreciate the time you took to respond and share the link. Yes, the kids have IEPs in place. So, at least that will help the kids get services and placed in the school setting. I was also trying to get suggestions for areas that they should consider when looking at homes from anyone who has had experience with possibly other centers - where they may go for additional activities not connected to the school district. I know Charlotte is a large area so they may want to pick a place to lessen their commute time back and forth to activies/sessions.

I’m moving this to the disABILITIES Community Board since it’s not about Disney parks.

Charlotte has a number of services for people with autism. He might reach out to the Autism Society of NC for the local chapter. NC legislation also supports TEACCH which offers service, and I think Charlotte even has a charter school in addition to separate setting schools for autism. Also, I think ABC of NC offers service in NC.

NC also has Innovations and B3 respite programs.

Charlotte has a number of services for people with autism. He might reach out to the Autism Society of NC for the local chapter. NC legislation also supports TEACCH which offers service, and I think Charlotte even has a charter school in addition to separate setting schools for autism. Also, I think ABC of NC offers service in NC.

NC also has Innovations and B3 respite programs.

Thank you for this information. I shared the info with my brother and he and I are doing some research to help them pick an area to live in.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!