Moving to UK next month

Discussion in 'UK Community Board' started by suzanna1066@comcast., Aug 12, 2017 at 1:28 PM.

1. suzanna1066@comcast.

suzanna1066@comcast. DIS Veteran

Hi
    I am moving to the UK next month (yay!) and I am trying to finalize my budget. We are a family of 3. I am employed (being transferred to UK), my husband will be looking for a job once we arrive and we have a 13 year old daughter.
    One question I have is on NHS deductions: I have been plugging my salary into various tax calculators and it gives me an NHS deduction but never asks if I have dependents---unemployed spouse, minor child so I am very unclear on if the NHS deduction is just for me or for all in my household----any advice would be much appreciated!

2. ScotScroogeMcDuck

ScotScroogeMcDuck Mouseketeer

Hi, the NHS isn't an insurance model. Those earning a salary pay as part of your tax. Everyone is covered by the NHS, your whole family will be covered. There are private models in the UK which supplement the NHS (such as Bupa) that offer quicker / (in theory) better service.

3. tennisfan

tennisfan Was told off for sliding down the bannister at SL Moderator

Are you confusing this with National insurance contributions? This isn't healthcare cover as such, part of the money paid goes towards the NHS which will cover medical needs, also monies from it go towards state pension