Ms, Mrs or Miss?

Hey there, @kaytieeldr , thanks for the video of Miss Jean. Romper bomper stomper boo!

I detest being called "Miss Lee." It sounds so 'Southern Belle' to my New England ears! What I prefer to be called really depends on who is speaking to me. In a 'professional' setting, I prefer to be called Ms. MyLastName, not Mrs.DH'sLastName... although it's kinda funny when someone calls him Mr. MyLastName- or DR. MyLastName! I also worked in an elementary school where I was constantly called/referred to as Miss or Mrs. MyLastName. Weird.

Mostly I prefer to be called by just my first name, although a few of my college-aged students are uncomfortable with that. Most of our friends' children just use my first name. We've lived in neighborhoods where the parents are "Mr & Mrs.' to the neighborhood children, and in some neighborhoods it's all been on a first-name basis (but never "Miss" or "Mr" FirstName).

I think it's sad that folks don't remember the origins of the title "Ms." from the 1970s, when women decided their name shouldn't reflect their marital status.
I was a kid in the 70's, and I remember the 70's fondly. I liked the title Ms. (pronounced Miz). I remember Ms. Magazine. I remember the ERA, Women's Rights, burning bras, all of it. It is the reason I took my husband's last name, but kept my maiden name as a middle name, not hyphenated. Many of my friends are hyphenated. I'm cool with being called Mrs. husband's last name knowing that I didn't drop my maiden name and it remains part of my legal name.

When I think of Miss, I think of a child, a young lady, or an unmarried woman. I'm none of those things, so I am comfortable with either Mrs. or Ms. The first time I heard Ma'am, I turned around to see who the person was speaking to, because it couldn't be me. I've lightened up a little. Where I teach, I've been called, "Mamita," "Maestra," "Mrs.," and "Ms." They all work for me.

This is all so individual based on personal experience and where you live. If you really don't like to be called something, you can always speak up for yourself.

At least in CA, you should never assume that a wife has taken her husband's last name. Therefore, younger women should be "Miss" (say < 21), older women should be "Ms". "Mrs" should only be used if they are married (or even divorced) and want to be referred to by their married last name.

Way, way, way back in the barely color television age, there was an afternoon show called Romper Room. The hostess was always called - by herself and others - Miss ____.

OT, but thanks for the memory. :cutie:
I watched Romper Room in the 60’s. In New York, we had Miss Louise.

At least in CA, you should never assume that a wife has taken her husband's last name. Therefore, younger women should be "Miss" (say < 21), older women should be "Ms". "Mrs" should only be used if they are married (or even divorced) and want to be referred to by their married last name.
I am 56 this year and when anyone calls me ms I will reply my name is MISS not MS

I live in NY and would say that most people defer to Miss or Ms unless its known for fact the woman is married. I'm married, but even at WDW, I've had them call me Ms. before. Or ma'am. Even if I weren't married, its no skin off my nose if they call me "Mrs" - there's nothing offensive about a missus!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter