Must-see attractions in Florida

mrudman

DIS Veteran
My 17 year old daughter and I had her band trip cancelled to Disney over Spring Break, so I've decided to treat her to a week at the beach in Florida.

We're going to be staying at Clearwater Beach, Sanibel Island, Marco Island, and north of Miami Beach.

Are there any absolute must-see attractions or things to do/places to go in these areas that I should take her to (or within reasonable driving distance of these? I'll have a car)
I have reserved tickets to take her to the Clearwater Marine Aquarium.

The only times we've been to Florida are to go to WDW, so I'm not real familiar with what's popular in the rest of the state.

Thanks for any advice!

Last edited:
My 17 year old daughter and I had her band trip cancelled to Disney over Spring Break, so I've decided to treat her to a week at the beach in Florida.

We're going to be staying at Clearwater Beach, Sanibel Island, Marco Island, and north of Miami Beach.

Are there any absolute must-see attractions or things to do/places to go in these areas that I should take her to (or within reasonable driving distance of these? I'll have a car)

The only times we've been to Florida are to go to WDW, so I'm not real familiar with what's popular in the rest of the state.

Thanks for any advice!

Since you’re going to the Clearwater aquarium, I assume you have an interest in wildlife and nature. In Sanibel Island the Darling Wildlife Refuge is really nice, with driving, biking and walking paths and a visitor center. In Marco, the Ten Thousand Islands refuge has opportunities for wildlife viewing, snorkeling, and shelling. You can kayak on your own, but I would probably recommend a boat tour.

if you’re driving, then I would certainly recommend visiting the Everglades on your way from Naples to Miami.

Thanks for any advice!

@mrudman
KEY QUESTION: WHEN are you coming to Florida?

Particularly in South Florida, we have two seasons -- WET and dry. WET runs from now until maybe mid-October. We get about 60 inches of rain per year and 75-80% of it falls during this period. The reason I mention that is not the effect on outdoor activities, but the effect on wildlife. Wet/dry is like night/day for wildlife and natural surroundings.

Second question: specifically where (which town) are you staying "north of Miami Beach." That covers a LOT of territory, and would influence suggestions for things to do in SE Florida.

Third question -- where are you flying home from? MIA or FLL?

The other thing I note is that you are trying to stop a lot of places in 7 days. Your current schedule has several huge time-sucks that are going to limit your vacation:
  • Flying in and getting to Clearwater Beach -- one full day
  • Drive from Clearwater Beach to Sanibel -- 3 hour drive, and I'm going to recommend a side-trip for lunch in Sarasota, so you'll lose the better part of one day on this drive.
  • Sanibel to Marco Island -- 1.5 hour drive, but you'll spend 1/2 day loading the car, driving, checking in the new place, etc.
  • Marco Island - Miami Beach - 2+ hours, but that's to South Beach. Where you are going, plan on 3 hours...so another 1/2 day or more.
  • Fly home - one full day
Those add up to much of 5 of your 7 days. I would do some serious trimming in the places you are planning on visiting.

Last edited:
Since you’re going to the Clearwater aquarium, I assume you have an interest in wildlife and nature. In Sanibel Island the Darling Wildlife Refuge is really nice, with driving, biking and walking paths and a visitor center. In Marco, the Ten Thousand Islands refuge has opportunities for wildlife viewing, snorkeling, and shelling. You can kayak on your own, but I would probably recommend a boat tour.

if you’re driving, then I would certainly recommend visiting the Everglades on your way from Naples to Miami.

Thank you very much! and yes, we are definitely nature lovers... I'll definitely look in to that refuge.

@mrudman
KEY QUESTION: WHEN are you coming to Florida?

Particularly in South Florida, we have two seasons -- WET and dry. WET runs from now until maybe mid-October. We get about 60 inches of rain per year and 75-80% of it falls during this period. The reason I mention that is not the effect on outdoor activities, but the effect on wildlife. Wet/dry is like night/day for wildlife and natural surroundings.

Second question: specifically where (which town) are you staying "north of Miami Beach." That covers a LOT of territory, and would influence suggestions for things to do in SE Florida.

Third question -- where are you flying home from? MIA or FLL?

The other thing I note is that you are trying to stop a lot of places in 7 days. Your current schedule has several huge time-sucks that are going to limit your vacation:
  • Flying in and getting to Clearwater Beach -- one full day
  • Drive from Clearwater Beach to Sanibel -- 3 hour drive, and I'm going to recommend a side-trip for lunch in Sarasota, so you'll lose the better part of one day on this drive.
  • Sanibel to Marco Island -- 1.5 hour drive, but you'll spend 1/2 day loading the car, driving, checking in the new place, etc.
  • Marco Island - Miami Beach - 2+ hours, but that's to South Beach. Where you are going, plan on 3 hours...so another 1/2 day or more.
  • Fly home - one full day
Those add up to much of 5 of your 7 days. I would do some serious trimming in the places you are planning on visiting.

Thank you for your reply! Definitely gives me some guidelines on times, although what you mentioned is very close to what I had planned.

We're going to be there in about 2 weeks, so definitely wet season, lol!

Also, I understand it's definitely a lot of places to see in about a week, and if it were just me, I'd cut out a couple but my daughter really wants to see all these places so I'm doing my best in letting this be the vacation she has missed out on.

We're actually staying 8 days total, but the first and last day know are going to be very limited in what we'll be doing those days.

This is a ballpark itinerary that I've planned:

Day 1: Flight arrives around 2:30, plan is to grab rental car, drive to Clearwater (stopping along the way for quick dinner), and just relaxing on beach that night.
Day 2: Clearwater Aquarium (limited to 90 minute time slot), beach time, and whatever else we can see
Day 3: Drive from Clearwater to Sanibel, settle in to hotel, and spend time on beach
Day 4: Sight-see Sanibel area, more beach time and looking for shells, etc
Day 5: Leave early to drive to Marco Island, probably get there before lunch. Check in to hotel and Sight-see area
Day 6: Continue touring Marco Island, leave around late afternoon, drive to Sunny Isles, settle in to hotel (plan on arriving about 8pm)
Day 7: Explore Miami beach, possibly sight-see Miami, anything else we see, etc.
Day 8: Wake up early, be on road by 8, drive to FLL, return car, and flight leaves about 10:45.

It's a possibility things may change and the nice thing about it is that all the hotels have a 24-hour policy on cancelling so if I need to skip a stop, I'll be
able to.

Also, with 2 of us, I figure checking in/out of the hotels is going to be fast because we'll just be living out of our suitcases and able to leave quickly.
The drive time will be the biggest time-sucker, but I believe I've built that in to our schedule pretty well.

Thanks again for all the thoughts!

I'm at a disadvantage on some of this because I haven't been either to Marco Island or Clearwater Beach in years. My impression is that they are very similar, so maybe you'll have a little overkill on the Gulf Coast tourist beach vibe.

One dining suggestion I would offer is any Columbia Restaurant, anywhere you find them. For your trip, there is one on Clearwater Beach, and another on St. Armand's Circle in Sarasota (the side trip for lunch I was going to recommend). Columbia is an old-school Spanish/Cuban restaurant based in Tampa, and their food has always been exceptional...especially their seafood. The other thing you want from Columbia is their legendary "1905 Salad." Best salad ever, and I often get just that for a light lunch.

I believe @Deb & Bill lives in or near Marco, so maybe she can provide better info about that area.

Sanibel and Captiva are nice...but pretty sleepy. Shell hunting is a big deal there, as is the Ding Darling National Wildlife Refuge (managed by the US Fish & Wildlife Service, not the park service). Ding Darling is currently partially closed -- outdoor spaces are open, visitor center and all tours are closed.

We've been to Sanibel/Captiva twice in the last 3 years, and I am "Sanibel'd out." We actually stay at South Seas Resort on Captiva...boring (to me).

If you drive from Marco to Miami on US 41, rather than I-75, I would recommend two stops -- neither of which are available from I-75.

The first would be the Shark Valley entrance to Everglades National Park. ALL South Florida NPS sites are currently closed (they love them some "administrative leave!"), but it's possible they will reopen by the time you visit. Shark Valley has a great naturalist-guided 2-hour tram tour that gives you an immersive 15 mile ride into the real Everglades to a 60 ft observation tower with views across the expanse of the Everglades. This is WET season, and within a couple of weeks the water levels will have risen significantly, so you'll see less wildlife than you'll see in Dec-Jan. But you'll still see some alligators, herons, egrets, ibis, hawks, etc. You will probably not see seasonal birds like some of the herons/egrets, spoonbills, etc. You may see endangered wood storks because there is a big wood stork rookery further east from Shark Valley.

The other stop I'd recommend would be for an airboat tour. I recommend Everglades Safari Park because their tour area is more scenic than other rides, and they have the best safety record. That's where we used to take VIPs when I worked at Everglades if we couldn't take them on our own boats for some reason. Everglades Safari Park is also closed by the NPS (they are regulated park concessioners and their tour area is actually inside the park). If they are still closed, my second choice would be the Miccosukee Indian airboat rides at the Miccosukee Cultural Center immediately west of Shark Valley.

In Miami, if you stay in Sunny Isles Beach you will be in the heart of a highly-developed tourist spot. If you're ON the beach there, you will be on a great beach, with real ocean and real waves. You will be some distance from South Beach (12 miles, but may take an hour to drive) and downtown Miami (+/- 16 miles).

It's a shame you are only going to be in Miami one day. There is so much to see and do here, and we haven't even talked about the Florida Keys yet.

But you're coming at a bad time when many things will still be closed or heavily regulated, so make the best of it and come back and see us when you have more time.

I have one other suggestion. Skip Miami. You're not going to have time to do anything here, and you'll enjoy the rest of your trip more if it's not so rushed. You can do Miami, South Beach, the Everglades, and the Keys on another trip when everything is open and operating normally.

Instead, spend an extra day or two at one of your Gulf Coast stops, and then drive directly from Marco Island to FLL. When you get to the Ft. Lauderdale area, I-75 takes you directly to I-595, which takes you directly to the FLL airport.

The drive takes a little less than 2 hours normally, but might take a little longer with morning traffic.

The other option on that schedule would be to drive to FLL the afternoon/evening before your flight and stay near the airport (not on a beach).

On your way to Marco Island, I would stop by 5th Avenue in Naples. I am not sure what is open/closed, but it has/had great shopping and eateries.

Where are you planning on staying on Marco Island? We have three very nice hotels on the beach, maybe four timeshares on the beach and one timeshare and a few lesser, smaller hotels that are not on the beach. Lots of condos on the beach. My favorite hotel is Marco Beach Ocean Resort. JW Marriott is nice but expensive. Hilton is nice, but has had a lot of problems in the past (most of those should be over with now). We are finally getting rain on Marco after a long drought. It's wonderful.

Marco isn't much for nightlife and the streets pretty much roll up around 9PM. Restaurants are still at 50% inside and social distancing outside (but it is getting hotter every day). We have one movie theater, but it may be closed indefinitely. Our beach is about 1.5 miles long and very wide. I've never seen it very busy. There are chair and umbrella rentals are various locations along the beach (mostly by the timeshares and hotels).

Sight seeing isn't a big thing on Marco. It's a small island (approx. 14K permanent residents, 45K residents during the high season- Thanksgiving through Easter). But we do have nice shells on the beach. And you could take a boat tour to some of the areas around the island. I guess you could visit the Skunk Ape Museum on Tamiami headed towards Miami.

If she is into botanical gardens, the Marie Selby Garden in Sarasota is really nice as is the Naples Botanical Garden in Naples. If you go to Shark Valley, you can buy tickets for the tram ride online. Do that if you want to take the tram. It is less nerve wracking than walking among the gators on the path. We moved to Marco from Louisiana and the only gators we saw were the ones they trapped and moved somewhere else. Not friendly gators.

Other question is where are you coming from? Visitors from NY, NJ, CT and LA still have to self quarantine for 14 days upon arrival to Florida.

Last edited:
I have one other suggestion. Skip Miami. You're not going to have time to do anything here, and you'll enjoy the rest of your trip more if it's not so rushed. You can do Miami, South Beach, the Everglades, and the Keys on another trip when everything is open and operating normally.

Instead, spend an extra day or two at one of your Gulf Coast stops, and then drive directly from Marco Island to FLL. When you get to the Ft. Lauderdale area, I-75 takes you directly to I-595, which takes you directly to the FLL airport.

The drive takes a little less than 2 hours normally, but might take a little longer with morning traffic.

The other option on that schedule would be to drive to FLL the afternoon/evening before your flight and stay near the airport (not on a beach).

Thank you again! I'm actually thinking I might take your advice and skip Miami totally... the more I look at the cities on the gulf side, I see a lot of activities I would like to do. Of course, I still won't have time to do them all, but I'd have 1-2 extra days at least. I asked my daughter what her opinion on that would be and she replied, "as long as I'm at the beach I don't care" Lol.

Where are you planning on staying on Marco Island? We have three very nice hotels on the beach, maybe four timeshares on the beach and one timeshare and a few lesser, smaller hotels that are not on the beach. Lots of condos on the beach. My favorite hotel is Marco Beach Ocean Resort. JW Marriott is nice but expensive. Hilton is nice, but has had a lot of problems in the past (most of those should be over with now). We are finally getting rain on Marco after a long drought. It's wonderful.

Marco isn't much for nightlife and the streets pretty much roll up around 9PM. Restaurants are still at 50% inside and social distancing outside (but it is getting hotter every day). We have one movie theater, but it may be closed indefinitely. Our beach is about 1.5 miles long and very wide. I've never seen it very busy. There are chair and umbrella rentals are various locations along the beach (mostly by the timeshares and hotels).

Sight seeing isn't a big thing on Marco. It's a small island (approx. 14K permanent residents, 45K residents during the high season- Thanksgiving through Easter). But we do have nice shells on the beach. And you could take a boat tour to some of the areas around the island. I guess you could visit the Skunk Ape Museum on Tamiami headed towards Miami.

If she is into botanical gardens, the Marie Selby Garden in Sarasota is really nice as is the Naples Botanical Garden in Naples. If you go to Shark Valley, you can buy tickets for the tram ride online. Do that if you want to take the tram. It is less nerve wracking than walking among the gators on the path. We moved to Marco from Louisiana and the only gators we saw were the ones they trapped and moved somewhere else. Not friendly gators.

Other question is where are you coming from? Visitors from NY, NJ, CT and LA still have to self quarantine for 14 days upon arrival to Florida.

At this time, I have reservations for JW Marriott. It's definitely more than I wanted to spend, so I might continue looking and change that one. I'll look in to the Marco Beach Ocean resort, thanks!

That's OK if there's absolutely no nightlife at all... we're more in to seeing nature and just chilling. Might want to try a few nice restaurants during the week, but honestly if my stomach is full, I really don't care what I eat, lol.. might even just go to the grocery store and get some picnic type foods.

Thank you for the suggestions about the boat tours and botanical gardens, I'll have to look in to those.

We're coming from OH so at least we don't have to quarantine.. that's the first thing I checked to make sure.

Thanks for your reply!!

Thank you again! I'm actually thinking I might take your advice and skip Miami totally... the more I look at the cities on the gulf side, I see a lot of activities I would like to do. Of course, I still won't have time to do them all, but I'd have 1-2 extra days at least. I asked my daughter what her opinion on that would be and she replied, "as long as I'm at the beach I don't care" Lol.
Just don't push your luck on the drive to FLL. Allow plenty of time, or go the afternoon before your flight.

I recommend you spend some time in downtown St. Pete. I've yet to meet a college-age kid who doesn't love it. (My DS recently graduated from USF; he lives in the area.). Great affordable restaurants, galleries, quirky street life, just a really fun young adult vibe.

If you like art, there are 3 museums that you should try: The Chihuly Collection and the Dali Museum in downtown St. Pete, and the Ringling in Sarasota, which will be more or less on your route.

If you want nature, one of the best excursions is to take the day boat from Honeymoon Island State Park (near Clearwater) over to Caladesi Island.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter