My budget trip doesnt feel like a budget trip...

I think it's partly because to me while it's fun, it's not the same as Disney and not as immersive. The waits and the days seem longer even if spending less time there. I'm not an HP fan, so while the areas are nice it doesn't do anything for me. Sitting and people watching or just soaking up the atmosphere just isn't the same. We did two days at Universal on our trip Nov 16 and used uber to get there from Pop. We were there when they opened and one of the days had lunch at Toothsome but both days we were ready and done and ended up having dinner at Disney Springs. We didn't want to cut any of our Disney days short to have dinner at DS. We'd only planned on going on our arrival day. Even City Walk doesn't hold much appeal to me. I'm looking forward to my Nov trip this year with no Universal days.

Same. We had APs a few years ago due to wanting to see one of the Mardi Gras concerts. We got 2 or 3 single or 2 day trips out of those, but used our Disney APs more often. This year we went to the OI meetup (cost a bit under a park to park ticket, and included food) and got our fix for awhile. We agreed that it's not as immersive (outside HP), and just meh. But worth a few hours with no crowds every few years. lol

We did 10 nights in April and decided to add a 4 night /5 park day trip in December. Because it is the second trip this year and we are cruising in March this one needs to be a budget trip. We are 2adults and 2 teens. Our breakdown:

Airport hotel the night before our flight: $136
Airport parking: $50
Flights free on points, but added EBCI both directions for $120 total
4 nights in a kid's suite at Aventura Hotel $688
Park tickets free because we bought seasonal passes in April
Food including breakfast with the Grinch (all other breakfasts in the room from items packed in luggage), quick service lunches and dinners (we have 4 quick service meal plan cards we did not use last trip, 2 with Coke Freestyle Cups) $560

Total $1554.00

There really is nowhere to cut budget wise!
Eh..there are places to cut..but not ones it looks like you want to.

Airport parking and ubers to from airport and parks estimate etc
$200
Is this airport parking at your home airport? Are you in the cheapest or cheaper option available?

We don't park in Economy parking at our home airport but we do park at The Parking Spot which is reasonably priced (with a quick shuttle to the airport) and you can even save a few $ per day with uncovered parking.

If the route you're going is ubers that's probably the more economical way of getting to your hotel and to the parks but because your hotel is within walking distance you may consider trying that 1 time to see if it's doable. That would help some (though I don't know how much uber is costing you).

1 massage 1 facial for me and dh at Mandara spa via prepaid groupons plus gratuity to be paid after services. This is my little splurge for me.
$280
I can totally get doing a splurge here and there but this is a splurge that can cut nearly $300 off your costs...that's something.

Evc reserved at Uni parks for 4 days. It's $50 a day but I am adding tax
$230
I understand the other person's point of vew on wheelchair but having had to wheel my dad around WDW back in like 1999...heck to the no..it was not fun for me at least (he had a boot on his foot).

That being said is the ECV able to be reserved on a day to day basis? Maybe start with a wheelchair to save some costs but keep the ECV open as an option should the wheelchair not work out.

Souveniers. 2 of the kids need a wand which we will buy. We will prob go above budget on this, as they are kids and we want to splurge on them but this is the minimum be will spend
$200
Since you have a feeling you'll go above this you may consider if you're ok with spending more than you already have listed out or if you may look into swapping things out so that you can spend a bit more on souvenirs but come out around the same as before rather than more.

Airfare for 6 plus luggage fees, rounded up
$1500
On the luggage fees I don't know how many luggage you're bringing per person but maybe look at condensing down, look into carryon (not giant bag though lol) and personal items. Even 1 luggage fee (if it's $50 for example) can help.

Honestly for my husband and I we've been packing the last few trips in 1 large checked bag (under 50lbs) and then using personal items (underneath plane seats) and depending on the trip we may each have a small carry on or maybe only one of us has a carry on. We also go for longer time (7,8,9,10 days). We also fly SWA nearly all the time so we aren't even having to worry about checked bags fees and with Delta we have an AMEX so we get 1 checked bag fee each person waived.

I mean, you're at about $171 per person per night including everything. It's just that you've got six people! So I'd say you've done a good job considering the size of your group. As others have said, you could trim back on food, souvenirs, airport parking, luggage fees, Ubers, and such. The breakfast at the hotel sticks out to me - could you guys split the free breakfast and supplement with groceries you purchase

But yes, I hear you. For fun recently I looked back and added up the cost of DH and I's vacations over the past 2 years. We always buy the absolute cheapest flights and rental cars I can find, stay in a cheap hotel or AirBnB, only one or two souvenirs per trip, buy groceries and eat breakfast in the rooms, find free/cheap attractions to go visit - and it still came to way more money than I thought it would! But then I remember all the good memories we've made and feel better about it. I just can't plan any more trips for a little while...

I find Universal pricier than Disney. Way less value for dollar too.

Agree. We have never been to Universal but I helped my cousin plan his trip. I kept thinking how everything seemed higher than WDW. I find Disney expensive but honestly, I find all vacations to be expensive. Everything just always adds up way more than you ever think it will.

I think it's partly because to me while it's fun, it's not the same as Disney and not as immersive. The waits and the days seem longer even if spending less time there. I'm not an HP fan, so while the areas are nice it doesn't do anything for me. Sitting and people watching or just soaking up the atmosphere just isn't the same. We did two days at Universal on our trip Nov 16 and used uber to get there from Pop. We were there when they opened and one of the days had lunch at Toothsome but both days we were ready and done and ended up having dinner at Disney Springs. We didn't want to cut any of our Disney days short to have dinner at DS. We'd only planned on going on our arrival day. Even City Walk doesn't hold much appeal to me. I'm looking forward to my Nov trip this year with no Universal days.

This is us also. Not into HP at all. I think you really need to at least be somewhat into HP to find Uni worth it.

Agree. We have never been to Universal but I helped my cousin plan his trip. I kept thinking how everything seemed higher than WDW. I find Disney expensive but honestly, I find all vacations to be expensive. Everything just always adds up way more than you ever think it will.
I disagree. I looked at package costs for universal for the same week I'm going to Disney and it was 600 cheaper!

I always go to universal for less than I do Disney. I know a lot of people say the opposite though, so who knows

When I add it all up! This was supposed to be a budget 5 night trip to Universal Orlando. We are going next month (aug 2018) I have been planning since September of 2017. It is not a package. I have purchased or reserved parts of this trip seperately and paid for or put deposits down as time has marched forward so it didnt really seem like that much as I have gone along....until I recently started adding it all up! Ugh. We are still going, and it is mostly all paid off, but the total number is alot. It just seems high especially considering the free stuff we got. Or is it? What do you all think about my so called budget trip? This trip is for 3 adult and 3 kids age 10, 10, 7.

Tickets:
(5) 5day day 3 park to park tix
I got one free...long story.
I bought these over Black Friday 2017 and used a reward credit card and total cost is my cost minus reward earned.
$1450

Uni 5 day photo package, bought on Black Friday
$69

Airfare for 6 plus luggage fees, rounded up
$1500

Souveniers. 2 of the kids need a wand which we will buy. We will prob go above budget on this, as they are kids and we want to splurge on them but this is the minimum be will spend
$200

Airport parking and ubers to from airport and parks estimate etc
$200

Evc reserved at Uni parks for 4 days. It's $50 a day but I am adding tax
$230

1 massage 1 facial for me and dh at Mandara spa via prepaid groupons plus gratuity to be paid after services. This is my little splurge for me.
$280

2 rooms for 5 nights at Doubletree at Universal Entrance using Hilton points
$0

6 breakfasts per day 5 mornings at Doubletree. 4 are free due to status. We will pay for 2 kids plus gratuity i am guessing $35 per day? We will definately eat there every morning due to the convienance factor which is priceless
$175.

Remaining food for 6 days for us, estimating $170 a day. This may be way to high and actual number may be lower, I just dont know!
$1020

2 nights at rpr for express passes, free using AA miles
$0

Holy Moly, I am over 5k here!

That amount does not feel very bugety. But seriously we arent staying onsite and we dont have any pricey meals planned, just counter service. And it's only 5 nights as apposed to a typical 7 night wdw trip. Yikes! To put in perspective, my 8 night Pop w 6 day hopper plus and qs dining for 4 disney adults was only $3500 plus air and spending money.

We will upgrade to ap's if it is free or just a few dollars when we are there after using tickets one day. But like I said, hotels, air, theme park tickets and massage are prepaid, plus I have $500 in Uni gc and prepaid our airport parking so we only need about $1300 more once we are really there, which we have. But I never added it up before and over 5k is a big number for me!

There really is nowhere to cut budget wise! I hope we can show our gkids an amazing time and make great memories. We have already taken them to Wdw and they requested Uni.
I can never tell dh what this ended up costing. I think he tjinks this is a 2k trip lol. He has no idea! He just wants them happy and so do I.
First, I want to say that your trip sounds like it is shaping up to be a really great vacation. You have done a great job of bargain hunting and you are getting a lot for what you are spending.

Are there places that you could have cut in order to make it a more "budget-friendly" trip? Of course! The 5-day photo package? A great deal, but not necessary. Paying to park your car at the airport? Maybe a shuttle or a ride supplied by a friend would be cheaper. Massage and facial? They sound like heaven! But again, not really "budget" if your goal is to get the bottom line down to as little as possible.

But I'm not one to talk. I like the little pluses that make a trip that much more enjoyable and if you got them at a steep discount, then more power to you! As long as you are comfortable with the final amount, then just go for it and don't look back!

I find Universal pricier than Disney. Way less value for dollar too.
Oh, gosh. I’m totally the opposite. I found a lot of value at UO and find little anymore at WDW. Comparably priced Food is much better IMO. Value resorts (comparing Pop to Cabana Bay) are much nicer for about the same price. We lucked out and got 14 day 3 park tickets for $800 for three of us (loved Volcano Bay) which helped but our budget trip last August was fantastic. I would go back to UO in a heartbeat.

Totally agree with you, the ones in the park or not like any $5 wand. They are actually pretty cool and kids will love interacting with them in the wizarding world !!

Having an interactive wand definitely is great. But to save, you can share one wand. If everyone does every spell right in a row you'll be at each stop forever! Instead, rotate who does which spell and everyone watches. Then a different day/time give a chance to someone new in the group to try it out. It is definitely a shareable souvenir/experience.

If you really want it to be a budget trip there are still things you can save on.

The breakfast is way too expensive for what you’ll get. You could order at garden grocer or buy something outside the hotel that is always cheaper.

Eat dinner outside of the parks, also cheaper.

Get some sandwich fixings as well and that will help the budget. We brought 2 PBJ lunches every day and decided which kid disliked the menu at each meal. One kid didn't like anything at the Harry Potter restaurants so he had PBJ at those meals (he was happier and it saved $8). The other kid doesn't like pizza, burgers, etc., so at those meals she got the PBJ. Again saving another $8 and having a happier kid in the end.

Unlike Disney, you can more easily eat outside the parks at City Walk. It's not wildy cheaper, but it can shave a few dollars and provide a welcome change of pace. Moe's Southwest has burritos we were craving, and a Panda Express as well.

Sounds like some of your breakfasts are free. Rotate through the trip for who has to eat breakfast in the room. Make it a benefit... The people who eat in the room get to sleep in or get more time to get ready in the morning. I always send the family down to have hotel breakfast while I finish getting myself ready.

My sentiments exactly. The value is not there when the immersion is not there. While HP does nothing for me, I can appreciate that it is quality theming. The rest of UO though? Not at all. Yet they charge Disney prices. Maybe I’ve gotten very good at vacationing at Disney, but my dollar goes further there.

My sentiments exactly. The value is not there when the immersion is not there. While HP does nothing for me, I can appreciate that it is quality theming. The rest of UO though? Not at all. Yet they charge Disney prices. Maybe I’ve gotten very good at vacationing at Disney, but my dollar goes further there.

Right? The rest of Universal doesn't feel much different from my local Six Flags. Some of it is because the IP just isn't as familiar to my family. Another part is because there's no diversity in experiences. Don't like simulators? Out of luck! At Disney, so many family rides and other experiences that even those who don't do coasters can have things to do. My husband spent SO much time at Universal just waiting for us to come back from a simulator.

Now, Harry Potter. That was fantastic! Just wish we had cut Universal shorter.

For 6 people I think it is very reasonable. I spend more than that for a family 5 without extras like EVCs, photo packages, massages and breakfasts. I think it is hard to do budget when you have that many people and have to fly but I think you came as close as you can.

This is us also. Not into HP at all. I think you really need to at least be somewhat into HP to find Uni worth it.
All about perspectives. USO would still be a place I would go to without HP. HP however can be appreciated just by attention to detail and themeing alone.

People go to Universal and only go to HP (and did this before there were 2 'lands') and people go to Universal without stepping foot in HP.

I'd say it's more individual desires over anything.

We pay money for my ticket even though I don't go on the same number of rides my husband goes on (no loops or huge drops for me and simulation gets to me after a while). I def still enjoy Universal and have since I was a kid.

All about perspectives. USO would still be a place I would go to without HP. HP however can be appreciated just by attention to detail and themeing alone.

People go to Universal and only go to HP (and did this before there were 2 'lands') and people go to Universal without stepping foot in HP.

I'd say it's more individual desires over anything.

We pay money for my ticket even though I don't go on the same number of rides my husband goes on (no loops or huge drops for me and simulation gets to me after a while). I def still enjoy Universal and have since I was a kid.

Thanks for sharing your perspective. That is interesting! I have really only heard Uni raved about by HP fans and always gotten the feeling that HP was the big deal there. Good to know a non-HP fan could appreciate it too :)

Thanks for sharing your perspective. That is interesting! I have really only heard Uni raved about by HP fans and always gotten the feeling that HP was the big deal there. Good to know a non-HP fan could appreciate it too :)
No problem.

It's a big deal there for sure and I love HP don't get me wrong (the rides are great and the immersion just out of this world) but HP has only been around since 2010. Universal Studios opened in 1990 with Islands of Adventure opening in 1999. Diagon Alley (the 2nd addition to HP located in the Studios part) has only been open since 2014.

I think HP adds to Universal absolutely but you don't have to be into HP to go to Universal and you don't have to be into HP to walk into the 'lands' either :D

It's like people who weren't into Avatar still really enjoying Pandora.

It's a big deal there for sure and I love HP don't get me wrong (the rides are great and the immersion just out of this world) but HP has only been around since 2010. Universal Studios opened in 1990 with Islands of Adventure opening in 1999. Diagon Alley (the 2nd addition to HP located in the Studios part) has only been open since 2014.

I think HP adds to Universal absolutely but you don't have to be into HP to go to Universal and you don't have to be into HP to walk into the 'lands' either :D

It's like people who weren't into Avatar still really enjoying Pandora.

I agree that you don't need to be an HP fan to enjoy the themeing of the area, and while I haven't been to Pandora yet (Nov!) I don't think the two compare. From what I've read it doesn't matter if you've see the movies yet going on the HP rides, even the train, while good, the characters are still there and it's helpful to understand the story. I don't, my friend explains, I zone out because I don't care. She knows this, I do the same with Star Wars. I ride Star Tours with her and it's ok but I don't care if I ever go on again. I actually preferred the ST at Disneyland Paris because it was French and so I didn't have to try and understand what was going on. I saw Darth Vader or the other guy, Kylo Ren? and said ok that's who we're fighting this ride. And then off we'd go and I could enjoy the journey. Which I try and do with HP but I don't know a thing about quiditch or whatever you do in that one ride and then it's screens and simulation but you move and it's just not my thing. I didn't even go on the ride in the newer area, she did that by herself because I didn't want to wait in line. Their quick service is pretty good too.

I agree that you don't need to be an HP fan to enjoy the themeing of the area, and while I haven't been to Pandora yet (Nov!) I don't think the two compare. From what I've read it doesn't matter if you've see the movies yet going on the HP rides, even the train, while good, the characters are still there and it's helpful to understand the story. I don't, my friend explains, I zone out because I don't care. She knows this, I do the same with Star Wars. I ride Star Tours with her and it's ok but I don't care if I ever go on again. I actually preferred the ST at Disneyland Paris because it was French and so I didn't have to try and understand what was going on. I saw Darth Vader or the other guy, Kylo Ren? and said ok that's who we're fighting this ride. And then off we'd go and I could enjoy the journey. Which I try and do with HP but I don't know a thing about quiditch or whatever you do in that one ride and then it's screens and simulation but you move and it's just not my thing. I didn't even go on the ride in the newer area, she did that by herself because I didn't want to wait in line. Their quick service is pretty good too.
I can understand your viewpoint though it sounds like you're just not in it if you don't know or don't care about it. Also sounds like the type of rides aren't your thing. At the very least you were at Universal even not caring about HP and even ventured into it and you were at DHS even not caring about Star Wars. That was really my overall reaching point. If you wouldn't have paid the money for Universal or for WDW because of HP or Star Wars presence respectively I can understand that viewpoint too. It's all what an individual desires.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter