My Child Gets Sick Every Time We Visit Disney....

Thank you for the information. She’s had blood tests for allergens but unsure if tested for sulfur. I’ll look into that.
I would recommend seeing an allergist and having an actual skin prick test done for environmental allergens. The blood test doesn't reveal as much information as a skin prick test. My daughter is allergic to mold and struggled with asthma until we got a handle on the mold allergy. When we first started treatment she was on two nasal antihistamines, singulair, and a couple inhalers when her asthma would flair up. Five years later, she no longer suffers the asthmatic reactions to mold. Find a really good allergist and hang in there. It gets better :)

You could always ask Disney to do a deep cleaning of your room due to the health issue.
Also, does he drink the water from the fountains or faucets? If so, you might want to try doing just bottled water to see if that helps.

I'm wondering if there's something environmental about Florida itself that's triggering it (I'm assuming you don't live in Florida or somewhere environmentally similar)

The humidity, something in the air, something in the water.
Actually, we live in GA. North of Atlanta. But she can go a year or more without an episode. But every visit to Disney, she has an episode.

I would recommend seeing an allergist and having an actual skin prick test done for environmental allergens. The blood test doesn't reveal as much information as a skin prick test. My daughter is allergic to mold and struggled with asthma until we got a handle on the mold allergy. When we first started treatment she was on two nasal antihistamines, singulair, and a couple inhalers when her asthma would flair up. Five years later, she no longer suffers the asthmatic reactions to mold. Find a really good allergist and hang in there. It gets better :)
Did not know that. I will ask her asthma doctor about this. Thank you. I’m glad your daughter is better.

You could always ask Disney to do a deep cleaning of your room due to the health issue.
Also, does he drink the water from the fountains or faucets? If so, you might want to try doing just bottled water to see if that helps.
Did not know I could request that. No, she only drinks bottled water.

I'm guessing in your home you only use natural cleaners? Bathroom cleaners, detergent, soaps, etc? Maybe the cleaners and artificial scents, in combination with the mold of the environment and the exposure to unfamiliar viruses, overloads her immune system? Could you bring your own sheets?
I am super sensitive and we do a thorough wipe of every single surface when we get to our hotel. We use Seventh Generation wipes, which we also use at home. We bring our own oatmeal soap and detergent ( Biokleen). We also up the probiotics and vitamins for some time before our trip. I'm happy to see Disney move away from carpets in units.
My son has also had issues and I understand the concern. I hope you are able to get some answers.

Last edited:

Try adding in flonase and singular along with the zyrtec and asthma meds. Zyrtec alone does not control the allergies for my two when things get really bad, and controlling the allergies helps control the asthma. I like the idea of bringing a hepa air purifier to run in the room as well. And, make sure to shower after the day is done before bed, to minimize getting any pollen or other outdoor allergens into the bedding.

Never been able to find what triggers this. We’ve even been to Stanford in California. All comes up negative. Her asthma doctor has suggested mold. She said she’s lived in Florida & it’s everywhere & can be bad. But who knows? We can be home for a year or more & not go to Disney in that time and even start thinking she may grow out of this. But no, we go to Disney & it’s back.

No, different times of year. Another interesting note is that when we lived in California & frequently went to DL, she didn’t get sick.

I don't have asthma but I do have allergies. Traveling tends to trigger my allergies but not always. A lot of it is because of being used to where I live. I think my body just has a tough time.

Even CA..we just got back from CA, went to DLR 3 days total and had a day before and a day after, and guess what? I'm sick. There's no allergies back home really because it's still winter. In a few weeks yes it will be allergies. Now when I was in CA I did notice the pollen count was in the medium to high range give or take. It rained for us but rain does not always drown out my allergies--sometimes it makes it worse. I really didn't feel bad until the day after we got home and that was last Tuesday.

Honestly I don't know necessarily Disney itself but it could be her body has a tough time with things in FL. Do you travel to other places other than FL?

If you live in a place for a while your body can get used to it and then bam traveling elsewhere makes your body go haywire.

When my son was a young teen he became ill every spring: reactive airways. He would need nebulizer treatments, assorted inhalers, and steroids, all due to allergies. (He grew out of it.) Your child probably has a similar situation, with different allergens in Florida.

I don't have asthma but I do have allergies. Traveling tends to trigger my allergies but not always. A lot of it is because of being used to where I live. I think my body just has a tough time.

Even CA..we just got back from CA, went to DLR 3 days total and had a day before and a day after, and guess what? I'm sick. There's no allergies back home really because it's still winter. In a few weeks yes it will be allergies. Now when I was in CA I did notice the pollen count was in the medium to high range give or take. It rained for us but rain does not always drown out my allergies--sometimes it makes it worse. I really didn't feel bad until the day after we got home and that was last Tuesday.

Honestly I don't know necessarily Disney itself but it could be her body has a tough time with things in FL. Do you travel to other places other than FL?

If you live in a place for a while your body can get used to it and then bam traveling elsewhere makes your body go haywire.
Yes. We travel to other places. We went on Disney cruise & she got very ill. It was one of the worst episodes.

This is speaking towards just me but flying or driving wasn't the activator if you will to my body going haywire, it was the environment of the destination.
I remember the 2 trips one grandson flew to Disney and he ended up at ER both times. doctor felt it was plane related both times. other trips we drove and never a problem

I remember the 2 trips one grandson flew to Disney and he ended up at ER both times. doctor felt it was plane related both times. other trips we drove and never a problem
Oh I'm sure for some the plane presents an issue with the filtration of the air and whatnot. When I was a small kid plane trips were torture and I do mean that. I have sensitive ears and the pressure was so immense for me and I couldn't get my ears to pop and it was loud, etc But that didn't make me sick it just made me extremely uncomfortable and a screaming kid (for which I feel terrible for all those who had to deal with that lol).

As I grew older that stopped. Now I still have sensitive ears (I wear noise reduction headphones for fireworks for example and some rides I have to use my hand to cover one of my ears to help reduce the noise) but that still doesn't make me sick.

I will say my motion sickness has gotten worse as I've gotten older--take offs and a bit of the landing still get my motion sickness going but once we've reached cruising altitude (whatever that may be for the route) I'm good to go with no issues.

I'm just saying for me personally the plane ride doesn't trigger issues for my body to hate me for allergies, the destination once I'm in it my body hates me. It sorta sounded like that was more the case with the OP though that's just my thoughts.

My 1 year old got Hand Foot Mouth Disease. It was the worst case our pediatrician had seen (and he has been doing his job for 40 years). Good times.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!