My Chistmas Wish-A small town white Christmas

DisneyMaleficent50

DIS Veteran
For the last several years, my family has done a Christmas trip to WDW. We are going to do a Christmas cruise. We love this family time together. As Hallmark kicks off their Christmas movie season, it has been brought to my attention that we have never had a White Christmas. Apparently my family would like to ***gasp*** try something different and NOT go spend Christmas with Mickey. Instead they want to stay at a lodge or inn and have a white Christmas. They are looking for basically what we see in all the Hallmark movies. That small town Christmas with a tree lightning, cookie contests, making ornaments, those kind of things. We are NOT skiers or snowboarders and nobody has expressed interest there. They have discussed trying ice skating and snowmobiling(17DD really wants to try this as she loves 4-wheelers). I tried looking for some stuff online but mostly what I find are large ski lodges. Exactly what I am not looking for....Travel party will include grandparents, parents, DD17, DD14, DD10.
And suggestions for towns and lodging would so appreciated! Come on my mouse family, please make my Christmas wish come true!
(PS i am looking for next year not this year.)

Seven Springs in PA. It’s beautiful. It has skiing and all that, but it’s not as large as something you would find in Colorado. I don’t ski or snowboard and I actually hate snow, but I love it there. You can stay onsite or easily rent a beautiful cabin. Where are you from? Have you never had a white Christmas before?

For the last several years, my family has done a Christmas trip to WDW. We are going to do a Christmas cruise. We love this family time together. As Hallmark kicks off their Christmas movie season, it has been brought to my attention that we have never had a White Christmas. Apparently my family would like to ***gasp*** try something different and NOT go spend Christmas with Mickey. Instead they want to stay at a lodge or inn and have a white Christmas. They are looking for basically what we see in all the Hallmark movies. That small town Christmas with a tree lightning, cookie contests, making ornaments, those kind of things. We are NOT skiers or snowboarders and nobody has expressed interest there. They have discussed trying ice skating and snowmobiling(17DD really wants to try this as she loves 4-wheelers). I tried looking for some stuff online but mostly what I find are large ski lodges. Exactly what I am not looking for....Travel party will include grandparents, parents, DD17, DD14, DD10.
And suggestions for towns and lodging would so appreciated! Come on my mouse family, please make my Christmas wish come true!
(PS i am looking for next year not this year.)
Wherever you end up, I'd suggest you rent a house or something similar if you want to put up a tree, make cookies and do Christmas crafts. Your odds of finding those activities offered publicly, all during the short time you're there will be very small; to a point you'll have to create the experience you're hoping for. The problem with dreaming of Christmas like in a Hallmark movie is that those are imaginary. I'm sure you'll be able to find a lovely, seasonal locale but the jolly characters and activities you're hoping for - maybe not so much. Enjoy your cruise this year and Merry Christmas in advance! :santa:

You can't go wrong most anywhere in New England. Or the Mid- Atlantic states. Or Pigeon Forge.
Tons of small towns with snow and porches.
Check Vrbo.com for somewhere easy to get to from where you are. They do short term rentals of houses.

Seven Springs in PA. It’s beautiful. It has skiing and all that, but it’s not as large as something you would find in Colorado. I don’t ski or snowboard and I actually hate snow, but I love it there. You can stay onsite or easily rent a beautiful cabin. Where are you from? Have you never had a white Christmas before?
I have had a white Christmas before but it was in Europe....somehow we have found ourselves in southern states the last 30 years so the children have not. The littlest has never seen snow

Wherever you end up, I'd suggest you rent a house or something similar if you want to put up a tree, make cookies and do Christmas crafts. Your odds of finding those activities offered publicly, all during the short time you're there will be very small; to a point you'll have to create the experience you're hoping for. The problem with dreaming of Christmas like in a Hallmark movie is that those are imaginary. I'm sure you'll be able to find a lovely, seasonal locale but the jolly characters and activities you're hoping for - maybe not so much. Enjoy your cruise this year and Merry Christmas in advance! :santa:
Thank you

You can't go wrong most anywhere in New England. Or the Mid- Atlantic states. Or Pigeon Forge.
Check Vrbo.com for somewhere easy to get to from where you are. They do short term rentals of houses.
That's a good idea. We have never used vrbo but i have heard of them

Anything more specific on a location?

I think we were really wanting to find a lodge or a cabin at a lodge to rent. Wanting that small town feel with some little shops and activities for the family...

I don't know if Gatlinburg or Pigeon Forge will have snow down in town but likely have it on the peak of Smoky Mountains. I cannot say enough about Dreams Lodge with Dollywood Amusement park. It's great family friendly hotel with games and fireplaces and activities for children. There are firepits for free smore making and nightly bedtime stories for those that can still appreciate it. There is a great restaurant on site or very easy driving to town. You can see shows out on the main strip and there big Christmas lights display as well.

Another option I thought of was The Trapp Family Lodge in Stowe, VT. They aren't really a ski lodge as it's about 20 minute drive or so to skiing. Lots family friendly activities and pretty for the holidays. I'm not familiar with it personally but have had friends stay there for a holiday as their children had never had a white Christmas.

I have had a white Christmas before but it was in Europe....somehow we have found ourselves in southern states the last 30 years so the children have not. The littlest has never seen snow

Europe must have been beautiful. I see. I can understand that. I lived in Pittsburgh up until almost 5 months ago. I now live in Florida. My son is 2 and even though he has seen snow, he won’t remember it and probably won’t see it again for a very long time. I’ve heard fantastic things about Maine and the mountains in WV, but I have not personally been. I’ve seen many movies like the ones you are talking about. I hope you find your own Hallmark holiday version. I hope to find my own some day, but more in the romantic cheesy version minus the snow 🙂

Anything more specific on a location?
Gosh I really don't know how far you want to travel but our winter house rental was in Madison, CT which is on the Long Island shore of CT.
Our rental was right on the shore and next to Hammonassett State Park which made for nice nature walks. It's a little town with a well stocked supermarket (Stop and Shop) and a nearby...Pathmark(?), produce shops, fishmongers, and such plus some nice restaurants, a movie house (mostly art films; you have to go one exit up on 95 to find the multiplex with current movies). It's surrounded by other small towns like Clinton, Bransford, Guilford that are 10 to 30 minutes away. The local patch gives you a heads up on what type of fundraisers the police and fire departments Rotary , Elks and similar clubs are doing. They tend to have fish frys, lobster dinners and the like. Around Christmas they have holiday cakes and cookies for sale. One of the nearby towns (Branford?) has an old fashioned bandshell in the middle of the town green where caroling takes place. Lots of antique and thrift shops mostly on US 1. Various nearby attractions such as a boat tour of the Thimble Islands (you'll have to check if it runs during the winter), Florence Griswold Museum
https://florencegriswoldmuseum.org/visit/programs-events/magic-of-christmas/
Mystic Seaport, the Aquarium, and Village are nearby and the seaport in particular looks beautiful during the holidays.

Bishops Orchard is so much fun even though you'll have missed the fruit picking. Great prepared food for those times you don't feel like cooking as well as fresh produce. Their cider doughnuts are amazing.:

https://bishopsorchards.com/farm-market/products/
If you like Italian food on the quick (it's a deli/salumeria not a restaurant) try this place:

https://www.saldamarcosdeli.com/
Need some of the best seafood or fresh fish on the entire eastern seaboard (LOL someone in MD is gonna think I'm talking smack but really we rent a car just to grab stuff during the holidays). Really nice prepared food with the RI clam chowder not to be missed what with you not being in RI. Totally different from Manhattan or New England styles.

http://atlanticseafoodmarket.com/

Here's 2 links from CT Tourism that might help you better decide if you want to go there:

http://www.ctvisit.com/
https://maddendigitalbooks.com/ctvg18/
Another nearby area that could be fun is Essex, CT, in the Connecticut River Valley. Off the shore with it's own look and a bigger town center than any of the shore towns. During the summers we've taken car rides on small roads just for the beauty of the landscape. Probably 45 minutes from the shore.

For us the state is relaxing and up until recently where we spent our most of our 4th of Julys for 10 odd years.

Have fun where ever you decide to go:).

Last edited:
I don't know if Gatlinburg or Pigeon Forge will have snow down in town but likely have it on the peak of Smoky Mountains. I cannot say enough about Dreams Lodge with Dollywood Amusement park. It's great family friendly hotel with games and fireplaces and activities for children. There are firepits for free smore making and nightly bedtime stories for those that can still appreciate it. There is a great restaurant on site or very easy driving to town. You can see shows out on the main strip and there big Christmas lights display as well.

Another option I thought of was The Trapp Family Lodge in Stowe, VT. They aren't really a ski lodge as it's about 20 minute drive or so to skiing. Lots family friendly activities and pretty for the holidays. I'm not familiar with it personally but have had friends stay there for a holiday as their children had never had a white Christmas.
Wow thank you! Those sound like great options!!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter