My Chistmas Wish-A small town white Christmas

Check out Snow Mountain Ranch in Colorado. It's between Winter Park and Granby, and is a YMCA facility. You can rent a house/lodge there that will sleep lots and have access to both Winter Park, Granby, and Tabernash (the Tabernash Tavern has awesome "exotic" food!) all of which have that "small town Christmas" vibe going on, and in the mountains you're guaranteed to have snow.

There also some GREAT snowmobiling up at the Contintental divide.

I’m throwing out Park City, Utah. I know you said no interest in skiing and snowboarding, but we have snowmobiling, ice skating, x-country skiing, snow bikes, a gorgeous town, World Cup bobsled around Christmas(I think that’s about the time the bobsleighs open to ride alongs), horse drawn sleighs, and killer buffets in deer valley. We already have snow on the ground, too.

I’m throwing out Park City, Utah. I know you said no interest in skiing and snowboarding, but we have snowmobiling, ice skating, x-country skiing, snow bikes, a gorgeous town, World Cup bobsled around Christmas(I think that’s about the time the bobsleighs open to ride alongs), horse drawn sleighs, and killer buffets in deer valley. We already have snow on the ground, too.
That does sound like a place with lots to do and snow!

Just because they exist doesn't mean they will be *open* in the days surrounding the holidays. Lots of small towns shut down so people can be with their families.
This is kind of what I was worried about for the OP. If they arrive on, say December 22 or later, it's very likely all the community activities will be over as locals make the final press for the "Big Day". Stores would probably be open but she seemed to want more than that. I know here in our big city, there are tons and tons of opportunities for festive activities and events - starting mid-November and wrapping up well before Christmas.

Last edited:

Just because they exist doesn't mean they will be *open* in the days surrounding the holidays. Lots of small towns shut down so people can be with their families.
OP probably knows this from time spent in Europe during Christmas. Buy your bread in advance and listen to the church bells on the day:).

This is kind of what I was worried about for the OP. If they arrive on, say December 22 or later, it's very likely all the community activities will be over and people make the final press for the "Big Day". Stores would probably be open but she seemed to want more than that. I know here in our big city, there are tons and tons of opportunities for festive activities and events - starting mid-November and wrapping up well before Christmas.
Living in a different US urban area always something open on the Day since not all our residents celebrate (if they do) Christmas using the same calendar. I was surprised during a holiday visit to WDW to find holiday decor being removed immediately after the 25th at either Epcot or AK since many residents of the different continents don't follow the Roman Catholic calendar which even most American Protestant sects do whether they realise it or not. It's a Julian thing, LOL.

Living in a different US urban area always something open on the Day since not all our residents celebrate (if they do) Christmas using the same calendar. I was surprised during a holiday visit to WDW to find holiday decor being removed immediately after the 25th at either Epcot or AK since many residents of the different continents don't follow the Roman Catholic calendar which even most American Protestant sects do whether they realise it or not. It's a Julian thing, LOL.
Most everything in a small town is closed on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day, and a lot are still closed on Dec 26th.

Most everything in a small town is closed on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day, and a lot are still closed on Dec 26th.
Agreeing about the Day and just adding the info to an earlier post. Didn't know about the 24th and 26th in the US though. I try to be close to home or places overseas that are a form of home for the Christmas holidays w/ WDW being the new addition.

Agreeing about the Day and just adding the info to an earlier post. Didn't know about the 24th and 26th in the US though. I try to be close to home or places overseas that are a form of home for the Christmas holidays w/ WDW being the new addition.
In my small town, some of the Mom and Pop places are closed Dec 24th and reopen Jan 2nd (depending on how the holidays fall that year). So it is something for the OP to consider when choosing a destination.

That does sound like a place with lots to do and snow!

Here is an example of the activities from Christmas 2018. So much to do leading up to and after December 25! I'd find a nice house in the area and go spend it there.

Annual Festivities & Events
Traditions big and small are one of the great things about the holidays. Here are some of our favorite Park City celebrations that you can count on year after year.

Snowfest
If you plan on Park City Mountain being your playground during the holiday season, you can count on celebrating Snowfest (Dec. 22, 2018 through Jan. 6, 2019). The annual resort festivities typically last a little over two weeks and include a variety of daily après concerts and family-friendly activities, from free s’mores to building gingerbread houses and ice sculpting at both Park City Mountain base and Canyons Village. Of course, the major annual festivities of this multi-day après extravaganza take place on Christmas Eve when the resort hosts its Torchlight Parade as well as the New Year’s Eve Celebration and fireworks show (more below). ...........

You can check out the full line-up of this year’s Snowfest events here.

https://www.parkcitymag.com/articles/2018/12/14/everything-you-need-to-know-holiday-season-park-city

Something that would have a main street with lots of little shops, bakery, diner, maybe a country inn.
If you plan on Park City Mountain being your playground during the holiday season, you can count on celebrating Snowfest (Dec. 22, 2018 through Jan. 6, 2019). The annual resort festivities typically last a little over two weeks and include a variety of daily après concerts and family-friendly activities, from free s’mores to building gingerbread houses and ice sculpting at both Park City Mountain base and Canyons Village. Of course, the major annual festivities of this multi-day après extravaganza take place on Christmas Eve when the resort hosts its Torchlight Parade as well as the New Year’s Eve Celebration and fireworks show (more below).

OP, I was also thinking Park City, UT when you said your description. I've been there for the Sundance Festival. And it is lovely. It was very snowy and we were able to get around via the local city buses. (Probably many Ubers now.) Since this town's finances depend on their winter tourist events, It's doubtful they will be closed when you need them to be open.

OP, I was also thinking Park City, UT when you said your description. I've been there for the Sundance Festival. And it is lovely. It was very snowy and we were able to get around via the local city buses. (Probably many Ubers now.) Since this town's finances depend on their winter tourist events, It's doubtful they will be closed when you need them to be open.
We are not. And we are a short drive from a major airport. I assure you I do not work for the chamber of commerce.

Pretty much any small town that is reliant on tourists won't be closed down for Christmas. If it's truly just a small town, then yes, you'll run into closures. Just something to keep in mind.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter