My NEW Fold and Go Wheelchair is the best investment that I have ever made. Great at Disney and eve

I bought the super bright orange one because I’m obsessed with Halloween. 🎃 Does anyone remember how long it took to receive yours after you ordered? I’m hoping to test it out/practice before our end of the month trip.

I bought the super bright orange one because I’m obsessed with Halloween. 🎃 Does anyone remember how long it took to receive yours after you ordered? I’m hoping to test it out/practice before our end of the month trip.

Congratulations! That orange color is beautiful! I got stuck trying to decide between the turquoise and the purple, and purple won! My hubby wanted the pearl color, but I wanted something colorful!

Congratulations!

Mine took a little longer to get comfortable driving than I expected but it’s already made its inaugural visit to WDW and we did just fine. There are some circumstances where it seems more difficult to maneuver than an ecv and some where it’s easier. You‘ll do great.

I'm delighted with how comfortable the seat is; I was worried most about that. I'm taking my time, and learning inside right now, since it's cold; we have a weird floor plan in our house where we have a central hallway that goes around the inside of the house, so I am making like a NASCAR driver, and making loops turning left (or right) during my practice sessions! We backed the cars out of the garage so that I could practice in a bigger area also, but I can tell it's going to take a bit longer than I anticipated to feel really comfortable, like I did with Angus.

@SueM in MN and the others here who have always said that learning to drive a power chair is very different than an ECV are *so* right! I can't imagine trying to learn to do this on the fly at WDW! I'm so glad I listened to their wise council, and have plenty of time to settle in with it before I try to travel someplace like WDW!

I'm delighted with how comfortable the seat is; I was worried most about that. I'm taking my time, and learning inside right now, since it's cold; we have a weird floor plan in our house where we have a central hallway that goes around the inside of the house, so I am making like a NASCAR driver, and making loops turning left (or right) during my practice sessions! We backed the cars out of the garage so that I could practice in a bigger area also, but I can tell it's going to take a bit longer than I anticipated to feel really comfortable, like I did with Angus.

@SueM in MN and the others here who have always said that learning to drive a power chair is very different than an ECV are *so* right! I can't imagine trying to learn to do this on the fly at WDW! I'm so glad I listened to their wise council, and have plenty of time to settle in with it before I try to travel someplace like WDW!

I kinda like driving my chair around more than a scooter. For one thing, you won’t have a “Nose” to worry about when turning, and for that reason, the turning radius is much smaller and easier to maneuver.

I once ”attempted” to drive a FRONT-WHEEL powerchair in Disney ONCE. It was my first experience with a powerchair and it was horrible. So bad that I had to go back to a scooter.

When it was time for me to get my first powerchair, the first thing I knew that no matter what, I wasn’t going to get a front-wheel chair, because of my bad experience. So it was down to either a midwheel or rear wheel chair (which the Fold and Go is). Well, I couldn’t find any rear wheel chairs that I liked, (this was before I found out that Fold and Go even existed), so I got a midwheel, and the learning curve to that wasn’t as bad as I thought it would be.

Well, a few months passed, and my mom got a new car. Unfortunately, no matter where I looked, I couldn’t find a lift/hoist that would fit in the new car that would work for my old powerchair.

Now I had to make a choice, either go to a manual chair, which would cost $3,000 for the one I wanted (I couldn’t use a run of the mill manual that you could get from Walmart because those have UNREMOVABLE arms that would impede my self-pushing ability, and also I wanted to choose the color and options for my chair so it wouldn’t be a “Grandma Special”). Or look for a powerchair that somehow could fold up and be put in the back of the car with ease.

Luckily, while scrolling through Facebook, my mom saw an ad for Fold and Go, we checked it out, chose my dream color (purple), and I got mine that same week.

Now I can’t wait til September when I get to take it on its first plane ride to Florida. (Hoping it doesn’t get broken by the airport crew between here and there).

Last edited:
I did most of my practicing in the house and was very nervous to head out on the trip but both the airports and parks were easier than I’d imagined. After doing all that practicing in close quarters the public walkways seemed spacious by comparison. A couple of things though:

—- I had a near disaster when exiting the American Adventure show. An ecv was blocking right by the door inside the theater. I thought, oh, I’ll just go around it which meant trying to go acrossed that sloped floor. Bad idea! I lost control and the chair swerved directly downhill towards people walking up it. I still find slopes and curb cuts very difficult.

—- I can’t back up the chair nearly as easily as an ecv. Fortunately so far, I’ve always had a companion along to put it in free-wheel for on and off elevators, and to get it properly parked on buses.

I did most of my practicing in the house and was very nervous to head out on the trip but both the airports and parks were easier than I’d imagined. After doing all that practicing in close quarters the public walkways seemed spacious by comparison. A couple of things though:

—- I had a near disaster when exiting the American Adventure show. An ecv was blocking right by the door inside the theater. I thought, oh, I’ll just go around it which meant trying to go acrossed that sloped floor. Bad idea! I lost control and the chair swerved directly downhill towards people walking up it. I still find slopes and curb cuts very difficult.

—- I can’t back up the chair nearly as easily as an ecv. Fortunately so far, I’ve always had a companion along to put it in free-wheel for on and off elevators, and to get it properly parked on buses.

I'm so glad you didn't go careening down the slope at American Adventure!

Oddly enough, backing up is super easy for me; left turns are pretty solid now, but right turns? LOL I struggle more on right turns than anything!

I kinda like driving my chair around more than a scooter. For one thing, you won’t have a “Nose” to worry about when turning, and for that reason, the turning radius is much smaller and easier to maneuver.

I once ”attempted” to drive a FRONT-WHEEL powerchair in Disney ONCE. It was my first experience with a powerchair and it was horrible. So bad that I had to go back to a scooter.

When it was time for me to get my first powerchair, the first thing I knew that no matter wha, I wasn’t going to get a front-wheel chair, because of my bad experience. So it was down to either a midwheel or rear wheel chair (which the Fold and Go is). Well, I couldn’t find any rear wheel chairs that I liked, (this was before I found out that Fold and Go even existed), so I got a midwheel, and the learning curve to that wasn’t as bad as I thought it would be.

Well, a few months passed, and my mom got a new car. Unfortunately, no matter where I looked, I couldn’t find a lift/hoist that would fit in the new car that would work for my old powerchair.

Now I had to make a choice, either go to a manual chair, which would cost $3,000 for the one I wanted (I couldn’t use a run of the mill manual that you could get from Walmart because those have UNREMOVABLE arms that would impede my self-pushing ability, and also I wanted to choose the color and options for my chair so it wouldn’t be a “Grandma Special”). Or look for a powerchair that somehow could fold up and be put in the back of the car with ease.

Luckily, while scrolling through Facebook, my mom saw an ad for Fold and Go, we checked it out, chose my dream color (purple), and I got mine that same week.

Now I can’t wait til September when I get to take it on its first plane ride to Florida. (Hoping it doesn’t get broken by the airport crew between here and there).

Yay! Another Purple person! LOL

First thing, I grabbed some 1" Velcro One-Wrap, and made a loop long enough to hold the chair closed (when closed from the footrest to the handlebar at the top of the backrest) for travel. I may yet make another longer loop to go around the chair to help hold the arms in place when folded; that seems most likely to be a point of contention.

Given the overall design of the chair, I think we'll be OK when traveling by air, because the frame of the chair is so sturdy, and that's what exposed the most.

I think the main thing I will have to remember is to unlock the wheels before handing it off to the gate crew; that way they aren't dragging it with the wheels locked, and potentially damaging the motors.

I got the airplane cover for my chair when we go fly to Florida this year. I’m taking every precaution that I can think of so that when we get there, the airline doesn’t hand me back a $3,000 damaged device and ruin my vacation.

I got the airplane cover for my chair when we go fly to Florida this year. I’m taking every precaution that I can think of so that when we get there, the airline doesn’t hand me back a $3,000 damaged device and ruin my vacation.

Amen.

Woo, my Magshock arrived Thursday! I am so glad for the advice on this thread. I did a test drive this morning since everyone said it takes awhile to get used to the controls and you are 100% right. I love it but it's definitely going to take me a bit to get used to: handling slopes, getting it in and out of the trunk, the way the chair tends to veer a bit when the road is the slightest bit uneven, and how there's a very brief pause before it comes to a full stop. I plan to keep practicing several times before hitting the parks.

One question: Do you take the joystick off when packing it in the trunk/traveling or leave it on?

This weekend, the hubs set up an obstacle course in our garage, because I need to learn how to maneuver in tight spaces - I may have to travel someplace fairly soon where we know it isn't "friendly" and I will face some specific challenges (like needing to back up perfectly straight, make super razor sharp turns due to space constraints, etc.) and so he created a "training ground" for me! I have spent *hours* out there so far, and it is helping. I still really stink at parallel parking (trying to emulate a Disney bus setup for practice parking inside the bus) but practice makes better!

The only thing I haven't been able to try yet is slopes, but that's on the agenda. And trying to load it by myself into the car. Which is kind of scary, because at the moment, I'm not sure I can get it safely into the car. We may employ a small step stool, so that I can lift it to the stool, then a second maneuver should allow me to slide it up and into the car. Not sure, fingers crossed. What I really want doesn't exist for getting it in and out of my vehicle!

One step at a time, no pun intended!

Another Q for you guys about traveling w/ the F&G. I see the travel cover they have custom made for it. Seems a little futzy to put it on, but it also allows the baggage crew the ability to roll it instead of having to carry it all the way. BUT, it does look like it could be a pain to put on on the gangway and it is about $100 more than a standard cover you could find on Amazon. What are thoughts? Does one of the regular covers you can get that will enclose the whole thing get the job done, or is the custom-ness of the F&G case make it worth that extra $100?

DEFINITELY need to get something to hold itbshut when folded up. Was thinking about a luggage strap, but MamaBunny's idea of a velcro strap would be good too.

PS PURPLE rules! ;)

Another Q for you guys about traveling w/ the F&G. I see the travel cover they have custom made for it. Seems a little futzy to put it on, but it also allows the baggage crew the ability to roll it instead of having to carry it all the way. BUT, it does look like it could be a pain to put on on the gangway and it is about $100 more than a standard cover you could find on Amazon. What are thoughts? Does one of the regular covers you can get that will enclose the whole thing get the job done, or is the custom-ness of the F&G case make it worth that extra $100?

DEFINITELY need to get something to hold itbshut when folded up. Was thinking about a luggage strap, but MamaBunny's idea of a velcro strap would be good too.

PS PURPLE rules! ;)

I'm probably going to get the F&G custom cover because it will work the best - however, like our friend @RaySharpton had posted previously, I fear I will have some difficulty getting the cover (especially the flap that has to tuck under the chair and come up) on, especially if I travel solo. I have watched the video a couple of times, and now that my condition is changed, I need to figure out a way to pull that flap through without getting down on the floor or on one knee.

And I shamelessly admit I am a one-woman crusade for Velcro One Wrap! 🤣

Also YES PURPLE RULES! 💜💜💜 🙂

I'm probably going to get the F&G custom cover because it will work the best - however, like our friend @RaySharpton had posted previously, I fear I will have some difficulty getting the cover (especially the flap that has to tuck under the chair and come up) on, especially if I travel solo. I have watched the video a couple of times, and now that my condition is changed, I need to figure out a way to pull that flap through without getting down on the floor or on one knee.

And I shamelessly admit I am a one-woman crusade for Velcro One Wrap! 🤣

Also YES PURPLE RULES! 💜💜💜 🙂

My plan of attack is that when it comes time to put the cover on and tuck the flap, I’m planning on taking off the joystick, seat cushion (and, if needed, the batteries) and putting that stuff in my carry-on. Then, I’ll find a seat, sit down and reach for the flap while i’m sitting.

We found the travel bag to be somewhat of a struggle to put on. It fits very snug on a MagShock. My travel companion isn’t wimpy either and she had to work at it, although we’re wondering if it will stretch a bit to give it that custom feel (like birkenstocks! 😄) We’re sure glad we practiced ahead of time at home. Do the ones on Amazon enclose the wheels? If so, oh man, personally I wouldn’t do that to the baggage guys when gate-checking. Besides being heavy, it’s still somewhat awkward to carry even with the bag handles. IMO having the ability to roll it is better for all.

Also, Fold & Go has an item in their accessories section - a Velcro strap attached to a handle so you can strap the chair shut and have a handle to pull it. $23.95. Is that new? I don’t remember seeing it before. Somebody who’s handy could probably rig that up for less but I’m not in that category. Here are some pictures:

A6E88D3D-04C3-483C-982E-C307D1E4C996.jpeg5BD3ED2F-B0EB-4E93-889A-EE63ADF25011.jpeg

We found the travel bag to be somewhat of a struggle to put on. It fits very snug on a MagShock. My travel companion isn’t wimpy either and she had to work at it, although we’re wondering if it will stretch a bit to give it that custom feel (like birkenstocks! 😄) We’re sure glad we practiced ahead of time at home. Do the ones on Amazon enclose the wheels? If so, oh man, personally I wouldn’t do that to the baggage guys when gate-checking. Besides being heavy, it’s still somewhat awkward to carry even with the bag handles. IMO having the ability to roll it is better for all.

Also, Fold & Go has an item in their accessories section - a Velcro strap attached to a handle so you can strap the chair shut and have a handle to pull it. $23.95. Is that new? I don’t remember seeing it before. Somebody who’s handy could probably rig that up for less but I’m not in that category. Here are some pictures:

View attachment 473048View attachment 473049

Yeah, that is new. So new that I didn’t know about it and I’m visiting their site every so often.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter