My so-so review of the Dolphin

CRB#33

<font color=red>Completing His Good Work!<br><font
I just returned today from a five night stay at the Dolphin, 4 of which I was able to obtain a teachers rate.

First I must say that last year I stayed at the Swan and had a complimentary water view upgrade (don't know how, except the desk knew we had just spent five awful hours stuck on a runway in Philly). That room was lovely, large, clean and the vanity area was very nice.

I had a standard room the past five nights at the Dolphin. I don't know what the differences between the standard and the water view are, but I was very unimpressed with the Dolphin. The location was wonderful, the pool great. Tubbies is very good for fast food. The standard room however was not in any way worth the $319. I paid for the first night. It is a definite bargain at the teachers rate--especially for the location.

If I had to pay rack rate, I would stay at a Disney themed resort. Even if I had to pay a bit more than $319. Even if it is a bit smaller.

Maybe it will be better after the renovations, but everything was old and dingy. The bed had a dip in the middle. The carpet in the hallway was not vacuumed all week. The same pile of dropped food was there all week.

I just was glad we weren't in it that much and I didn't pay top dollar for it.

For top dollar, I'd give up the location.

IMHO.

I'm sorry your stay at the Dolphin was less than stellar. Don't give up on the Dolphin though! Try it again after the renovations and ask for a complimentary upgrade to a balcony room (east wing) You may just be pleasantly surprised!

I am sorry your stay was less than perfect. I have always prefered the Swan over the Dolphin...I think it is just the mere size difference makes it nicer at the Swan. Did you voice your concerns there? They are usually very good about that.

I'm sorry your stay was lousy. We just got back from the Dolphin in March 2003. We had a wonderful time. Of course paying regular rate at Dolphin is craziness - I won't pay $300 a night for a room in New YORK - let alone Disney. AAA rates are sometimes available and Entertainment rates are lower than that...and people should be informed that the rates change from time to time...like the AAA rate was one thing when I called early in our planning and then totally different later....oh, and those AAA packages are a rip. AAA rate for room ONLY is alot cheaper. Anyway, we had a balcony room on the 8th floor and it was AWESOME. It was perfectly quiet. We had an AWESOME view....the Epcot ball straight ahead, Illuminations view every night at 9....oh, and since I followed advice from here I signed up for Starwood status and that Starwood Am Express card and got upgraded to Gold status and so we got upgraded to club level - but we wanted to keep our balcony room with its amazing view and so we got club level privs....which was also GREAT. Free food and plenty of it in the mornings and a lovely spread of cheese/crackers/hordevours/fruit/drinks/cheap booze in the evenings.

I will say that housekeeping walked in on my butt naked one morning which really annoyed me.....and they weren't very good at picking up the room service dishes - but other than that, I had a wonderful wonderful time.

Like you said, the pool is great - loved that slide - and I especially enjoyed laying in those hammocks on the beach....we checked out the pools at several other hotels and liked Dolphin. We felt over run at the other pools and I personally don't find that relaxing. I don't want to have to fight over my lounge chair at the pool and don't want to be tripping over screaming little monsters. I like to be able to find some peace and quiet - AND people if I want that....kind of finicky broad I am....

Again, the location is AWESOME...and do take the boat to the parks. They are regular and convenient and you will get all the walking you need AT the parks. Why walk to them? I never waited more than 10 minutes - and that was for a boat FROM a park BACK to Dolphin - never more than 5 FROM the Dolphin to anywhere.

I have done a good deal of travelling and I would Definitely stay at the dolphin if I went back to Disney....I do not recall being anywhere on vacation where I felt relaxed so quickly. Now perhaps the balcony and the wonderful view had alot to do with that....I'm guessing yes. Room 8029. Room 8029. beg for it...its an :Pinkbounc room!

I will say one thing: some foreplay does seem to happen out on those decks....so you may want to keep an eye out for such action if you have small kiddies....one couple did kind of "shock and awe" us....

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter