Nassau Excursion - Accesibility question

dislvr75

Mouseketeer
We are considering the "Discover Atlantis" excursion for our family. According to every guidebook this excursion requires a lot of walking. My son weighs about 40 pounds and travels distances, pushed in a Convaid Cruiser. Does anyone know if we could successfuly navigate this excursion pushing him the Cruiser? I know there's a boat ride followed by lots of walking, in some cases uphill? We've got the manpower to push him, I'm worried about stairs and terrain. Also is there lots of sand to walk through?

Thanks in advance to anyone that responds.

They do have elevators at Atlantis for strollers/chairs. The excursion itself is inside the Atlantis resort, so unless you wanted to stroll around the beach area afterwards, you should be fine to see the aquarium and indoor attractions. Kathy

DCl fun, thanks for your response! Another question though.

The first part of the excursion is a water taxi ride to Paradise Island, then when you arrive it sounds like there's quite a hike to the Atlantis resort. That's the part I'm most worried about. What was the walk like, distance and type of terrain?

Thanks!

dislvr75 said:
DCl fun, thanks for your response! Another question though.

The first part of the excursion is a water taxi ride to Paradise Island, then when you arrive it sounds like there's quite a hike to the Atlantis resort. That's the part I'm most worried about. What was the walk like, distance and type of terrain?

Thanks!
I took a water taxi to Atlantis as an excursion through Holland America last November. The distance from the water taxi pier is through residential and commercial areas and is considerable...over a mile, at least. I rode my scooter and had few problems with curb cuts and there was no sand. The water taxi, though, refused (I'm not kidding!) to take me back to the port from Paradise Island where Atlantis is located. One nice thing about taking the ship-sponsored excursion is that you are accompanied by a guide who has a key to all the elevators and lifts...Disney has eliminated the water taxi from its Atlantis transportation scheme because of the distance. HAL has probably dropped the water taxi because I got abandoned.

Both DCL guidebooks I bought and the info I copied from the DCL website (a few months ago) all state that the excursion begins with a water taxi to Paradise Island. Thank you SO MUCH for bringing it to my attention that they have in fact changed that! You have saved me much unnecessary angst!

Thanks again!

There is also a company that has a lift van that can bring you right to the entrance of Atlantis. I can't imagine getting stranded over there- it was harrowing enough just to have to be in the middle of the street on the way back to the ship from the shopping area ( few curb cuts). Kathy

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter