NBA at Walt Disney World

Because why use the small courts when you can play 4 games a day in the main arena. Even with there being no fans, it’ll give these players more of a big game feel than playing on makeshift courts

Thats assuming they go with the 24 team playoff, which doesnt seem likely. I’m not saying they wont use all the courts, I’m just guessing this is what they’d prefer to do

Good point.

Personally I'd pay good money to see them play the finals on an outdoor court at one of the resorts with a chain net. No uniforms, just shirts v skins.

Bleacher Report (@BleacherReport) Tweeted:
NBA sent GMs proposal for feedback on "World Cup style" group stage to replace 1st round of playoffs, per @KevinOConnorNBA

🔹Top 20 teams put in 5 tiers, drawn into groups
🔹Teams play twice vs. each team in group
🔹Top two teams in each group advance to 7-game series rounds https://t.co/kBzZBWIbkT

This is probably the best option, and would be the quickest

Sorry, I should have been more clear. My "why" was only about the playing the games on the one big arena.

From a TV standpoint you don't want overlapping games if you can avoid it. Schedules are more about TV then about what is convient for fans. Just modern sports. That is why SEC football has that horrible noon kickoff time for some game which is not fan friendly. That is what TV wants.

It isn't about getting games done as quickly as possible. it is about TV revenue. Even with normal playoffs they could play multiple games at the same time especially when at different venues. They don't. and won't here for the playoffs (a regular season finish is different).

From a TV standpoint you don't want overlapping games if you can avoid it. Schedules are more about TV then about what is convient for fans. Just modern sports. That is why SEC football has that horrible noon kickoff time for some game which is not fan friendly. That is what TV wants.

It isn't about getting games done as quickly as possible. it is about TV revenue. Even with normal playoffs they could play multiple games at the same time especially when at different venues. They don't. and won't here for the playoffs (a regular season finish is different).

Oh I know, and so for the playoffs I guess there is no reason not to use a single court. I was just thinking more about the early rounds where they could start another game before one finished if it went long on another channel and switch to it when it's over. The NCAA tournaments have tipoffs delayed for hours sometimes because of games going long. It would speed things up a tiny bit. I think the bigger issue though is just not spreading them out over so many days.

Oh I know, and so for the playoffs I guess there is no reason not to use a single court. I was just thinking more about the early rounds where they could start another game before one finished if it went long on another channel and switch to it when it's over. The NCAA tournaments have tipoffs delayed for hours sometimes because of games going long. It would speed things up a tiny bit. I think the bigger issue though is just not spreading them out over so many days.

Players still need rest days though. Playing NBA playoff games back to back days just isn't the best thing. As was discussed though sometimes there are 2 day gaps due to 1 day being for travel and those can be reduced but that's about it. Even NCAA tourney gives 1 day gaps between games. That need to stay for health reasons.

So outside of dropping travel days most of the rest of the schedule needs to stay as it is. Though using 2 courts and alternating isn't the worst idea since you can reduce gap between games when one team has to finish, clear out of locker room, and let next team in. I know at places like the SEC tourney that can be about an hour gap between games. So alternating courts and once game 1 finishes on court A have game 2 ready to go on court B then game 3 back on court A isn't a bad idea. I know SEC baseball tourney has had issues in the past where rain on one day can screw up the whole schedule for the week. Obviously basketball doesn't have a rain issue but overtime and things like that could cause an impact.

So thinking about it I think 2 alternating courts is probably best way to handle it. Only one game at a time but can quickly start next game after the first one if it runs long.

Players still need rest days though. Playing NBA playoff games back to back days just isn't the best thing. As was discussed though sometimes there are 2 day gaps due to 1 day being for travel and those can be reduced but that's about it. Even NCAA tourney gives 1 day gaps between games. That need to stay for health reasons.

So outside of dropping travel days most of the rest of the schedule needs to stay as it is. Though using 2 courts and alternating isn't the worst idea since you can reduce gap between games when one team has to finish, clear out of locker room, and let next team in. I know at places like the SEC tourney that can be about an hour gap between games. So alternating courts and once game 1 finishes on court A have game 2 ready to go on court B then game 3 back on court A isn't a bad idea. I know SEC baseball tourney has had issues in the past where rain on one day can screw up the whole schedule for the week. Obviously basketball doesn't have a rain issue but overtime and things like that could cause an impact.

So thinking about it I think 2 alternating courts is probably best way to handle it. Only one game at a time but can quickly start next game after the first one if it runs long.

You also have to think that a good cleaning of the court and lockeroom will be needed between uses as well. It would make more sense to use two courts for thr first round. The thing I'm curious about of all games are at wdw and not split with vegas is what they do with the late game you still wamt for the west coast tv. Are they really going to want to start playing at 9pm est? Totally different than when you are traveling between time zones. And yes I think they lose viewers if they do a 6 and 8 est game vs a 7 and 9 not counting the overlap that'll be there with only 2 hours for games. Makes it much harder to do 2 games a night m-f if all are est.

I dont think the NBA is going to follow the NHL with having a 24 team playoff but if they did, theyd have 16 teams battling in a 5 game series. They would probably alternate

Day One - 4 games
Day Two - 4 games (the other 8 teams)
Day Three - 8 games (Every team)
Day Four - 4 games (if necessary)
Day Five - 4 games (if necessary)
Day Six - 8 games (if necessary)
Day Seven - 8 games (if necessary)

At most the first round would be 7-8 days. At best, Five days.

Before anyone says they could do 8 games each day, these players will have had 4 months off. They’ll need days off. Not as many as if they were traveling, but they’ll need rest days up until the final 2 games, if they need to be played.

The next 4 rounds would be where it would take 2 months because they probably would stick to 4 or less games a day and use the full arena rather than the smaller courts.
Adam Silver has said already they want to game the full playoffs which would be 7 games in the first round. I suppose anything is possible still at this point but that is the one thing he seemed to not want to budge on.

Adam Silver has said already they want to game the full playoffs which would be 7 games in the first round. I suppose anything is possible still at this point but that is the one thing he seemed to not want to budge on.

In this (the NHL) scenario it would only be the first round being 5 games, which would be a field of 24 teams. Once its narrowed down to the typical 16 teams, then it would move to 7 games. This is all based on if they would choose to go the NHL route, which there is no evidence that they’re even going to propose it as an idea. Was just laying out how I would think it would go with the WWoS

In this (the NHL) scenario it would only be the first round being 5 games, which would be a field of 24 teams. Once its narrowed down to the typical 16 teams, then it would move to 7 games. This is all based on if they would choose to go the NHL route, which there is no evidence that they’re even going to propose it as an idea. Was just laying out how I would think it would go with the WWoS

I don't think they will. NHL is doing that since they are not finishing out the season. I think TV contracts basically require NBA to finish their season or owe a lot of money to the regional TV networks and if you finish the season no need to do a "everybody gets in the playoff" format like the NHL

I don't think they will. NHL is doing that since they are not finishing out the season. I think TV contracts basically require NBA to finish their season or owe a lot of money to the regional TV networks and if you finish the season no need to do a "everybody gets in the playoff" format like the NHL

They’re saying now that the owners might just pay out the remainder of the regional deals to go right to the playoffs. That could be a lie, but it seems like the leaked proposals have no regular season planned. I think thats foolish as these players have had a full offseason worth of time off and those regular season games would act as a preseason/warmup. We’ll know the plans either tomorrow (if they leak early) or friday.

I’m just happy the Rangers get a playoff birth (in the NHL). They were on a run that would have possibly had them making the playoffs, so it would have sucked to see them end the regular season and have these teams in the playoff hunt get sent, or stay home.

All I know is if the NBA goes with the 24 team playoffs, the Knicks would make it as the 12 seed in the East lol

They’re saying now that the owners might just pay out the remainder of the regional deals to go right to the playoffs. That could be a lie, but it seems like the leaked proposals have no regular season planned. I think thats foolish as these players have had a full offseason worth of time off and those regular season games would act as a preseason/warmup. We’ll know the plans either tomorrow (if they leak early) or friday.

I'd be surprised if they decided to pay the cost of resuming only to pay out the TV deal and move to playoffers. However, I know at least one player has said he wouldn't play if hiis team didn't have a legitimate shot at the playoffs so there may be other players on teams with little playoff chances who are opposed to going into quarantine to play "meaningless games".

Looks like there won't be a decision Friday

Adrian Wojnarowski

@wojespn

While NBA’s Board of Governors meet with Adam Silver on Friday, there’s no current expectation for a decision on a finalized return-to-play plan to emerge from the session, sources tell ESPN. Talks on incorporating the three most serious plans remain ongoing with NBPA and teams.
11:28 AM · May 27, 2020·Twitter for iPhone

My bad but in my defense I had just woke up.

I'm pretty sure it's what we have been saying: a single site for the games (vs having half of the games in Vegas). WWoS does not have rooms. the rooms are at nearby Disney hotels.

Interesting. Thank you for posting. I didn't want to register to the site to read it. So, mid-July is when they would arrive, start practice. End of July, games would start. Games would end sometime between Labor Day and Nov 1.

1. I certainly hope they are not planning to stay closed throughout this NBA thing (for the record, I don't think they are; they can house everyone at CSR and keep them in the bubble, no need to keep the rest of the resorts and parks closed).

2. They are still discussing how tight the bubble needs to be.

I am wondering why they need to be in a bubble at all, I mean we don’t quarrentine any essential employees, like grocery workers etc. anywhere. A significant number of essential workers are even high risk, not like athletes. Also pretty inconsiderate to the CMs that aren’t in the bubble , they work in an open to the public park, resorts, or Disney Springs. Basically saying we care less about you but we will protect the NBA. Really a bad look all around. smh

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter