NBA Experience opens at Disney Springs August 12th

Status
Not open for further replies.

rteetz

DIS Veteran
http://blogmickey.com/2019/03/breaking-nba-experience-to-open-august-12th-at-disney-springs/

nba-experience-concept-art-03252019-1.jpg

Here’s a list of the activities you’ll be able to experience:

• Experience one of the biggest milestones for a basketball player at the NBA Draft with a photo moment that re-creates the atmosphere of the draft stage.
  • Track and improve their jump shots and passing skills in a replicated NBA Combine challenge, complete with a scouting report that highlights their stats at the end of the session.
  • Step onto the court and hear the roar of the crowd as they maneuver through a series of timed shots to aim for a high score.
  • Execute the perfect slam dunk just like NBA superstars, captured by cameras surrounding adjustable baskets.
  • Test their ball-handling skills with an interactive trainer who will challenge them with a variety of dribbling routines.
  • Use an oversized slingshot to launch basketballs at hoops of varying heights, making as many shots as possible before the clock runs out in this thrilling timed challenge.
  • Immerse themselves in the rich legacy and history of NBA and WNBA championship-winning teams.
  • Access a team locker room that showcases up-to-date statistics and visuals of top NBA and WNBA players.
  • Test their knowledge of the NBA and WNBA – past and present – during a trivia game with up to 25 participants competing against one another to be champion.
  • Enjoy two 180-degree cinematic presentations that showcase the in-arena experience moments before the start of the game, as well as special stories from the players’ perspectives.
  • Take a seat at an interactive multi-screen module to watch replay clips from NBA games, using the tools at their stations to make the right calls.
  • Play interactive basketball games, from the fan-favorite Pop-A-Shot to modern video games
Alley-Oop! NBA Experience Will Open August 12 at Disney Springs

Last edited:
I doubt I'll ever step foot in the building. That said, I'm THRILLED that it's opening because the West Side needs foot traffic while Cirque du Soleil is getting it's makeover.

I think this will flop a lot more than Disney Quest ever did
I agree. Sounds like the same games I could play at my local 6 flags, just without the surrounding video screens. I just can't imagine a family paying (just guessing) $50pp to take jump shots and practice dribbling. Especially when there is so much else to do.

Now, if they include it as one of the "plus" options, yeah, people may stop in to check it out on their non-park days, or after a water park day. But, this won't make Disney any money (unless the NBA Exp gives them the incentive to add the "plus").

This is, ultimately, why DQ failed. Locals stopped paying to come, and vacationers using their WP+more option there didn't add revenue.

I really miss DQ. Too bad they didn't keep it updated. Even as recently as 2011, that place could get packed.

I think price point depends will determine it’s success. It sounds like a lot of stuff I can do at the New England Patriots hall of fame, which is priced at 12 dollars pp. I highly doubt it’d be remotely that low, but something like 50 (which seems to high imo) is far too much for what they’re offering. It’ll be interesting to see

I agree. Sounds like the same games I could play at my local 6 flags, just without the surrounding video screens. I just can't imagine a family paying (just guessing) $50pp to take jump shots and practice dribbling. Especially when there is so much else to do.

Now, if they include it as one of the "plus" options, yeah, people may stop in to check it out on their non-park days, or after a water park day. But, this won't make Disney any money (unless the NBA Exp gives them the incentive to add the "plus").

This is, ultimately, why DQ failed. Locals stopped paying to come, and vacationers using their WP+more option there didn't add revenue.

I really miss DQ. Too bad they didn't keep it updated. Even as recently as 2011, that place could get packed.
To each their own. I think this will do fine.

I think a lot will depend on whether or not locals find it worth it for repeat visits. Just like with DQ, when the locals stopped visiting, is when it failed.
Locals aren't the draw with Disney Springs anymore. The whole remodel was to make it more appealing for visitors. I would guess many locals aren't using this as their main shopping area.

I think this is going to do very well. Basketball is second only to soccer in terms of international sport fandom. Additionally, basketball has the most star power of any sport in the US. The advertisements with James Harden, Chris Paul, LeBron James, Dwayne Wade, etc. far outnumber any other sport's current athletes. With Disney and ESPN doubling down on their NBA coverage and the inevitable decline of the NFL, the NBA experience makes all the sense in the world.

Couple that with the ability to hop on over to Trophy Room and grab some limited Jordans or retro Air Maxs and you have an NBA playing/shopping experience like no other. Teenage me would've been pumped and adult me is still excited.

My boys (including the big one I'm married to) loves basketball. So this will be on our hit list for our next visit and they are all really looking forward to it. Sounds a lot like the Basketball Hall of Fame, only more glitzy because the NBA is directly involved. However, while the NBA is very popular around the country, I can't imagine that the intersection of the Venn Diagram between the NBA fans and the Disney-going audience is going to be that big. And I'm sure it's not going to be a cheap entrance fee so even at $50, that's $250 for my family of five. :crazy2: Not great. So, at best, a one-and-done for this basketball-loving family? How much repeatability is there at that price?

The number of people per hour appears to be severely limited, when only one may use the activity station at one time. Dribbling station as well would appear limited in throughput. Pure conjecture therefore suggests any visitors be prepared for waiting.

I think a lot will depend on whether or not locals find it worth it for repeat visits. Just like with DQ, when the locals stopped visiting, is when it failed.

Locals aren't the draw with Disney Springs anymore. The whole remodel was to make it more appealing for visitors. I would guess many locals aren't using this as their main shopping area.

And I really am curious how drawing non locals will work. As someone who likes the nba and would be someone interested in going to a place like this, I don’t think I would do it simply because my time in Disney is finite. Especially with all the new offerings coming to the parks, it’s hard to justify paying for an add on experience like this, when there’s so much more stuff to do with the park ticket I’ve already paid for.

I’m assuming both parties have done their market research on this, but I find it interesting all the same to ponder

And I really am curious how drawing non locals will work. As someone who likes the nba and would be someone interested in going to a place like this, I don’t think I would do it simply because my time in Disney is finite. Especially with all the new offerings coming to the parks, it’s hard to justify paying for an add on experience like this, when there’s so much more stuff to do with the park ticket I’ve already paid for.

I’m assuming both parties have done their market research on this, but I find it interesting all the same to ponder

I think like most time spent at WDW it depends on your vacation style.

We go for a full 2 weeks and always plan to spend 2 days at Disney Springs. I'm a much bigger fan of the other sports (Hockey, Baseball, and Football), but a sports fan none the less. This place looks amazing. We will definitely check it out. Probably eat there, watch a hockey game in the sports bar, and check out the displays/activities.

If we were a family who is only going for 5 days and didn't plan any DS time that would be different. I see this more as something to do for people already planning on being at DS for more than a couple hours. Unless you are a big NBA fan you probably would go to DS specifically to see this.

I think if you are a sports fan it would be hard to walk by this place without going inside to see what it's all about. Whether you choose to spend any money there will depend on how cool it actually is and how the cost plays out.

This is 100% a play on the NBA. Personally, I could care less. I love my soccer, my football, rugby, golf... but I'd walk by this place every time because it just doesn't interest me. Especially since there are a million more interesting shops and restaurants, to me, in Disney Springs. I could find all kinds of places to waste time while my wife shops, and not one of them is this place.

But I do get that anyone with even a small shred of interest in the NBA would be hard pressed to just pass it up. I'm not sure this is really a workable concept in the long term, repeat visitors and the sheer size make it a very expensive proposition, but maybe that's just me underestimating how many people care about the NBA?

This is 100% a play on the NBA. Personally, I could care less. I love my soccer, my football, rugby, golf... but I'd walk by this place every time because it just doesn't interest me. Especially since there are a million more interesting shops and restaurants, to me, in Disney Springs. I could find all kinds of places to waste time while my wife shops, and not one of them is this place.

But I do get that anyone with even a small shred of interest in the NBA would be hard pressed to just pass it up. I'm not sure this is really a workable concept in the long term, repeat visitors and the sheer size make it a very expensive proposition, but maybe that's just me underestimating how many people care about the NBA?
I used to really hate the NBA but have grown to become more fond of it with our up and coming team in the Milwaukee Bucks. I still much prefer college basketball.

I do think that repeatability could be a problem but I’d definitely check it out once. I’m more excited for the sports bar type venue in City Works and am glad they went with a concept that was inclusive to all sports rather than just the NBA.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts