Need a quality couch

Choose your fabric carefully if the couch is going to get a lot of use. If there's a pattern, it should go all the way through and be thick and sturdy. Stay away from thin fabrics - save them for window treatments and throw pillows.

Otherwise, buy a good wood frame with eight-way hand-tied springs.

A good couch lasts forever. Our couch was custom made 18 years ago for well under $2,000. Every five or six years, we send it out to be reupholstered and for $500-$600, we get an essentially new one. He reties the springs and does any repairs needed inside before he puts on the new fabric. Every other time, we get new cushions.

Before we found the custom place, which unfortunately has closed, we had planed to be Southwood.

We bought our last sofa on clearance at Macy's five years ago and it still looks great. Our previous set was from Rooms To Go and was completely worn out by the five year mark. Try department stores and shop clearance first. Then, hopefully, you won't be as bummed if you have to replace sooner than expected. I'm positive our sofa with recliners at each end was under $1000. With the matching chair and a couple recliners, we spent less than $2500.

Choose your fabric carefully if the couch is going to get a lot of use. If there's a pattern, it should go all the way through and be thick and sturdy. Stay away from thin fabrics - save them for window treatments and throw pillows.

Otherwise, buy a good wood frame with eight-way hand-tied springs.

A good couch lasts forever. Our couch was custom made 18 years ago for well under $2,000. Every five or six years, we send it out to be reupholstered and for $500-$600, we get an essentially new one. He reties the springs and does any repairs needed inside before he puts on the new fabric. Every other time, we get new cushions.

Before we found the custom place, which unfortunately has closed, we had planed to be Southwood.

You've found a great deal on reupholstery. All the quotes we found for doing ours were nearly the same price as buying new, decent quality furniture. If the person does a full job, it's very labor intensive.

I know I have a good deal on the reupholstery. I do have to plan ahead as he stays booked up. I've been using the same guy for about 25 years -- I guess it's possible that new customers pay more.

I also have managed to get fabric for a fraction of its regular cost at a church bazaar that's claim-to-fame was a huge fabric donation. (Incredible event -- you had people who live in million dollar homes and decorators buying $3 a yard fabric). I bought two partial bolts 10+ years ago, so I had my fabric for two times already in the closet. That source is no longer available as the textile industry has largely died in North Carolina, so I may have a problem next time around.

We are going to try reupholstering a chair ourselves over the weekend. I looked at all the fabric stores and the nice fabric was all over $30/yard and I couldn't find the right colors. I only needed three yards, so still, the cost isn't too bad, but didn't find anything perfect.

I happened to be in an Ocean State Job lot, and they had three yard lengths of upholstery fabric for $6 each. They happened to have exactly the perfect fabric. I was a sport and bought an extra three yards to make matching throw pillows. Hope it comes out well or I've squandered $12!

Already been through Rooms to Go, Pottery Barn and Arhaus.

Do they even make quality furniture anymore? $4000 bought me sagging cushions, "the print" wore off the material of a $6000 couch, I am tired of this.

Any suggestions for quality brands I should be looking for?

Maybe it would be better to buy something less expensive and just plan on replacing it every few years?? If I buy an Ikea sofa for $500 and it lasts 2 years before I have to replace it, it's a much better value than buying a $4000 sofa that lasts 5 years. And honestly the styles (and my taste) change over time, I certainly wouldn't want the same style sofa now that I had 25 years ago when I bought my first one.

We have a Flexsteel, got it direct from NC. I think it it was around $2500. It's a sectional, 8 years old and looks good as new. Not sagging at all. It's our only sofa, so it gets a LOT of use with the 5 of us!

We have a Thomasville couch. It has lasted over 10 years and survived a dog that is almost 10 and a child that is almost 7. It is a light color too, which makes it even more remarkable that it has survived. It has also survived us unzipping the upholstery from the pillows and putting it through the washing machine after the kid had a huge drink spill- basically it was try that or just go ahead and get a new couch so we figured it was worth a shot, and to our surprise the stains washed out and the fabric made it through the wash fine. It is getting to the point now where we really need to replace it as the fabric is showing wear and the cushions are wearing down, but it is so comfy that no one is quite ready to give it up. We have the identical couch (different upholstry) in our formal living room that is 2 years old, and it looks brand new-- it doesn't get near as much use or abuse as the older one though. I think they both were somewhere between $2000 and $3,000.

Do they even make quality furniture anymore? $4000 bought me sagging cushions, "the print" wore off the material of a $6000 couch, I am tired of this.

We have an Ethan Allen one we like and it is now about 8 years old. It's had a hard life so far and still is in good shape--not sagging, cushions have held up, fabric looks nice. It was much less than the prices you've noted, though I don't remember exactly. We had about $5000 to buy all new living room furniture and the sofa was just one piece.

It boggles my mind when someone has nothing better to do than make snarky remarks. Why post if you have nothing constructive to say?

Most people who are budget-minded have done thorough research and get the best value for the dollar. I have gained valuable information from this board over the years. And I have learned that cost does not determine quality..twice.

To those that responded with HELPFUL information- Thank you!

You're welcome.

I highly recommend Smith Brothers of Berne. It is handmade in Indiana and they are extremely well made. We have a sectional from them that is beautiful and still looks like the day it was delivered. I don't remember the exact cost, but it was around $6000ish. Well worth the price. We get compliments of the looks and comfort all the time.

We have a Flexsteel, got it direct from NC. I think it it was around $2500. It's a sectional, 8 years old and looks good as new. Not sagging at all. It's our only sofa, so it gets a LOT of use with the 5 of us!

how did you get it direct? I am thinking for our next couches I'm going back to this brand....everything else is just a mess within months....
Also, why would anyone HERE on the budget board blink at 4k for a couch? plenty of people here would spend that much on a vacation (or 2),and a couch is an investment that you use daily,for years! (if it's good quality) :confused3
my next couch is something I am currently saving for,as I will be spending quite a bit to get decent quality.;)

I have a Mitchell Gold + Bob Willams leather ottoman, which is beautifully made and looks great. Their furniture is made in the USA. I will definitely consider them when we need some new furniture, which is going to be soon.

how did you get it direct? I am thinking for our next couches I'm going back to this brand....everything else is just a mess within months....
Also, why would anyone HERE on the budget board blink at 4k for a couch? plenty of people here would spend that much on a vacation (or 2),and a couch is an investment that you use daily,for years! (if it's good quality) :confused3
my next couch is something I am currently saving for,as I will be spending quite a bit to get decent quality.;)

It was awhile ago, but I bought it through Furniture Land South http://www.furniturelandsouth.com/ Not 100% sure if they still ship state-wide (I hope so, I would gladly use them again!)

I tested out sofas and looked at fabrics locally, then ordered it from them. Even with the shipping, it cost about $600 less than if I were to buy it retail in a store near me.

My sectional is a chenille-type fabric and it really does look brand new. My parents had a Flexsteel in their family room that held it's shape for over 20 years. They only got rid of it because they were tired of the print, LOL

i bought a couch - sectional at Macy's two years ago - close to 4000 i think and its like new!

I have bought two leather sofas at Rooms To Go about 4 years ago. It's still in perfect condition, and this is with 3 teens, 3 cats and 3 dogs!

Hi:
I loved my Lane. I don't remember it being expensive years ago. It held up to three kids and two dogs. I only got rid of it because my style changed. I decided on a cheaply made, $1000 sectional from Bob's and have had regrets ever since. I HATE IT. It's such a piece of garbage. Never again.

Good luck with your purchase.

We have a Lane and love it. Also, it's made in the USA so it keeps more of us working.

We've had a Lane leather reclining couch and loveseat for 10 years. It has been through 3 military moves. It has held up very well. The leather is just starting to show some wear and I hope in the next year this will be moved to the gameroom and we will get a new set for the living room. I will definitely consider Lane again

My sister bought Smith Brothers of Berne a few years ago and so far it has held up wonderfully. They looked at Flexsteel, but the quality of Smith Brothers was so much better. The furniture is very comfortable and comes with tons of fabric options. When I replace my family room furniture this year, I will be looking at Smith Brothers too. Their website has a dealer locator options so you can enter your zip code to see who in your area sells it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!