Need advice for time to go in July

mickeymom629

DIS Veteran
I just read a past thread that people recommended going after July 4th. I just recently booked our trip June 29 through July 4th, but now I'm wondering if we should go the 6th through 11th.

Any advice? My birthday is the 29th and we like to spend the 4th with my husband's family in Tampa, so that is why we picked those dates, but it's not a big deal to change. We went last spring break and we will NOT do that again because of the crowds and the traffic (we drive from MD). Is it much less crowded the week after the 4th? I would rather go when it is less crowded.

I just read a past thread that people recommended going after July 4th. I just recently booked our trip June 29 through July 4th, but now I'm wondering if we should go the 6th through 11th.

I think going anytime in the summer is be crowd. So I think need to be prepare for crowds even then. Because all southern schools is out of school at the time year. I think July 6 through 11 is a good time to go also because all the 4 crowd will be head home.

I would what fell most comfort with and go with that and stick to it.

July 4, 2003 is on a Friday, so my guess is that either week will be quite busy.

:( No two ways about it, July 4th will be VERY busy:(

Thanks for the replies. We have been right after July 4th actually two years ago and I was looking through my notes and saw that the lines were really long and we didn't get to do as much as the end of August trip (can't do that anymore; oldest son starts football training, high school) and the before xmas trip (all kids in school and we can't go at off times anymore with a clear conscience). :rolleyes: I don't know what we should do.

:( I understand your situation. When our son was still in school,we always went during the off season and he just asked his teachers for some additional work which he was able to take care of partially during our trip and the rest when we got back home. The best times that we found to go were right after labor day before things really got going in the school year,and the week or two before the christmas holiday as the school was giving the kids a little less homework because of the holidays.Don't let your conscience get the best of you, as long as your kids are doing well in school, the time off shouldn"t hurt them. Good luck and happy holidays ;)

In the summer of 01 we went over the 4th. Of course the parks were busy and it was hot and humid but we did enjoy ourselves. The only time a park was absolutely to crowded for us was the MK on the 4th. We spent the day at AK, nearly empty by the way, then went over to MK for dinner and fireworks. I didn't think we would ever get back out of the park after we ate. Wall to wall people. We finally made our way back out and watched the fireworks from outside the park.

This past summer we went in June and it rained constantly. We couldn't get anything accomplished and the crowds seemed bigger then they had been over the 4th the previous summer.

I booked this summer's trip last month and we will be going the last week of June and first week of July. We will spend our last 2 nights at the Contemporary and watch the fireworks from the hotel. Hopefully we will miss most of the rain. The crowds I can deal with, especially with FP's.

Have fun,
Lori

Thanks for the reply and tips. That's a good idea about watching the fireworks outside of the park if it's too crowded. We did eat once in the California Grill and watch fireworks from there. Nice point about Animal Kingdom. I wonder if MK is the most crowded on the 4th, or if they are all wall to wall people. Actually we will be checking out on the 4th, so we will keep our plans and hope for dry weather and less people!:D

We visit WDW the week of July 4th each summer, and we love it! The only really bad day is the 4th itself, and only if you plan on spending it in the MK which gets the most crowded by far.

We spend the 4th in Epcot, and it is crowded, but not that bad. The park is spread out, and there are many attractions to see.

Since the 4th falls on a Friday this year, the week before the 4th could be just as crowded as the week after, it's hard to say. (I know much of the northest doesn't finish school up until the end of June, and many people wait a week or two before vacation. )The best thing is that the parks are usually open much later than during other times of the year to make up for the crowds.

I think you'll be fine going that time of the year. All it really takes is a little more advanced planning on your part. :):D:)

:bounce: :Pinkbounc :bounce: :Pinkbounc :bounce: :Pinkbounc :bounce:

July 4th holiday is nightmare on mainstreet time at WDW. Normal high summer crowds start to wind down last two weeks of August and are at their lowest in September. I would go after the holiday weekend.

I think we will keep our plans for the 29th of June through July 4th. My children are a little older (9, 11, 13 and 15) and this will be their 8th trip there (one of which was the week after July 4th). We do not have to rush to see everything because we were just there in April (which was a nightmare crowd-wise; week of Easter). Like I said, they just really want to do the waterparks and any rides at any of the other parks will be a bonus.

Because we are DVC owners, I may be able to plan the trip in December also, if I play my points right ;)

Mitros--yes, I have felt guilty taking my kids out of school. We did take them out for almost 2 weeks! at the end of October, 1999 to be able to go to the Halloween festivities in the MK. I also took them our in the end of April beginning of May of 1998 (ahh, what a wonderful time of year in Florida!) We will be taking them out for three days at the end of Jan. for our first cruise. I have spoken to all the teachers and most seem to think family vacations are worthwhile, so hopefully it won't be too hard for my kids when they return (especially my 10th grader).

I guess the bottom line is that any time in WDW is wonderful and if you don't expect to do too much in the crowded seasons, you can relax and enjoy. Of course advanced dining reservations are something I try not to neglect!

mickeymom-we will be in WDW from 6/29-7/6-my birthday is on the 28th:) we've always gone to WDW for April vacation, so we are used to crowds. Since we're staying at the CR we'll probably watch the fireworks from there. Someday I'd like to be able to go to WDW during slower times of the year, but for now I'm just happy we're able to go at all:cool:

After last spring break (we could hardly walk down the streets at MGM!), I guess you must be used to dealing with the crowds and planning accordingly. The heat is going to be the major difference for you in July, and dealing with the afternoon thunderstorms!

I live for 90 degree temps:D can't wait to retire and move out of New England!!!!!

I am NOT a winter person myself! I am always cold. My husband loves the change of seasons here in Maryland, so I don't think he'll ever retire to Florida. He has his dad and sisters (with families) there, so we make time to see them when we go to WDW. (We used to go to see them and make time to go to WDW:) )

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter