Need for touringplans plans if we have EP?

ninafeliz

DIS Veteran
I'm working on making some kind of plan for our trip to Universal, we will probably be going Dec 8,9, and 10th but it could end up being the 7th, 9th and 10th. We haven't decided if we will do Volcano Bay once or just the 2 parks (but we will definitely get park to park tickets) - the weather will play a role in that decision as well. We will be at Portofino Bay so we will have the express passes. I'm looking through the unofficial guide because I haven't been to Universal in years and am not familiar with all of the rides. As I read they give tips for when to tour each ride, etc (for example ride Minions immediately after park opening or just before closing, etc). But I'm wondering, do I really need to worry about things like that since we'll have EP? Or do we more need to worry about how to get onto/into the few things that don't have EP, like Hagrid's and Ollivander's (the 2 that I am aware of that come to mind). I was contemplating following one of their touring plans, just for ease and to have a plan, but it seems to me that if we have EP we shouldn't have to worry about anything except the things that don't use it. Or is that not correct? I don't want to accidentally make things worse by using their touring plan when we wouldn't need it, and making waits longer for the things we would have to plan for. Does this make any sense?

Not sure what site you're using but I go here: https://orlandoinformer.com/

If you look at the image there's a tab "Universal Vacation Planning" and directly under that it offers "Free Touring Plans"

Here's a link that I already posted for Crowd Calendar from three sources with links.
https://www.disboards.com/threads/dec-2020.3776833/post-61217435

What's important to understand is just because you have EP or UEP doesn't mean you wont wait in line. We waited 30 minutes just for the Minions! Follow though with your plan or theirs because it does matter. By the time your done you'll be first to eat or go shopping or whatever before the crowds come in. ;)

I'm interested in responses to this also by those with experience. I have read don't really need a touring plan with EP. only a plan for Hagrids.
I want to follow this. Thank you

I'm interested in responses to this also by those with experience. I have read don't really need a touring plan with EP. only a plan for Hagrids.
I want to follow this. Thank you

You do need a plan as lines will get long especially after 10am, even during slow periods. If your goal to to ride several rides with EP get in early, use the regular queue then later use your EP. Remember with EP you only get to use it ONCE on specific rides. The Unlimited Express Pass allows someone to get on the same ride several times and throughout the day.

Not sure what site you're using but I go here: https://orlandoinformer.com/

If you look at the image there's a tab "Universal Vacation Planning" and directly under that it offers "Free Touring Plans"
View attachment 448887

Here's a link that I already posted for Crowd Calendar from three sources with links.
https://www.disboards.com/threads/dec-2020.3776833/post-61217435

What's important to understand is just because you have EP or UEP doesn't mean you wont wait in line. We waited 30 minutes just for the Minions! Follow though with your plan or theirs because it does matter. By the time your done you'll be first to eat or go shopping or whatever before the crowds come in. ;)

I was talking about touringplans.com. it's confusing because their name is also the generic name for actually having a plan when you tour haha!

So even with EP and 2-3 days we need to have a good touring plan? I guess I was under the impression that with EP we would likely wait in the 15 min or less frame for all of the rides, but that's why I'm asking here - and it sounds like that isn't actually true then? They have 2 park 2 day plans that I could follow, or they allow you to make your own. But basically we want to see as much as we can, ride pretty much all of the rides, and probably get wands. Plus I want to be able to really see the HP lands, I have only been to the first one once and have never been to the newer one.

ETA we will have the unlimited EP because we're staying at Portofino Bay. I wasn't planning on any standbye queues, except maybe MIB and FJ because I read those have important things to see or not miss - but if the lines are too long we'll do the express line regardless.

I was talking about touringplans.com. it's confusing because their name is also the generic name for actually having a plan when you tour haha!

So even with EP and 2-3 days we need to have a good touring plan? I guess I was under the impression that with EP we would likely wait in the 15 min or less frame for all of the rides, but that's why I'm asking here - and it sounds like that isn't actually true then? They have 2 park 2 day plans that I could follow, or they allow you to make your own. But basically we want to see as much as we can, ride pretty much all of the rides, and probably get wands. Plus I want to be able to really see the HP lands, I have only been to the first one once and have never been to the newer one.

ETA we will have the unlimited EP because we're staying at Portofino Bay. I wasn't planning on any standbye queues, except maybe MIB and FJ because I read those have important things to see or not miss - but if the lines are too long we'll do the express line regardless.
So, does the express pass take you past the pre-ride shows? That's a bummer to miss those as you said FJ is especially cool.

I would compare Touring Plans to OrlandoInformer and pick the best one that makes sense to you. After 10am you will wait for the more popular rides. We stayed at Royal Pacific and had UEP and I was shocked we waited that long for the Minions! We also have a 20 minute wait at the Simpsons both rides were after 10am too.

So, does the express pass take you past the pre-ride shows? That's a bummer to miss those as you said FJ is especially cool.
I don't honestly remember, I have ridden both of those rides but it was like 6 yrs ago. I read, I think either somewhere on these threads or in the unofficial guide, a list of rides where missing the standbye queue was detrimental, and those are the ones that stuck with me. I think that I read the SB line in MIB sets up what you are doing on the ride, since you are shooting IIRC, and the line for FJ is just cool going through the castle. I seem to remember in FJ seeing screens with the HP actors on them, I son't remember if they set up the ride or if it was just fun to see, and I also don't know if you skip all of that or not with the EP line. I'm just starting to plan the trip - lots to learn lol!

If you go early in the morning using the one hour Early Park Entrance you should be able to use the regular line and see all the details. When using EP / UEP you miss them. Having a plan, getting to the park early is important. It give the time you need to see everything.

I would compare Touring Plans to OrlandoInformer and pick the best one that makes sense to you. After 10am you will wait for the more popular rides. We stayed at Royal Pacific and had UEP and I was shocked we waited that long for the Minions! We also have a 20 minute wait at the Simpsons both rides were after 10am too.
Yep, I wasn't figuring on 30 min waits with EP, but it's better to know ahead of time and maybe be pleasantly surprised than be shocked when we get there I guess! Last time we went there weren't lines for really anything except FJ, which was pretty new, and the time before that was so long ago the parks were nearly empty on weekdays and we saw everything we wanted to see in 2 parks with no EP and not a long day. Pre-HP.

Also, we still don't know what the weather will be like, if it's cold we will skip any ride that might soak us and Volcano Bay will also be taken off the table. We're flying out on Tuesday, Nov 27th - Tuesday, Dec 3rd and staying at Royal Pacific. If we decide it's too cold out for Volcano Bay, we'll most likely check out Disney Springs Christmas Tree Trail.

Also, if you haven't booked Sweets and Sounds Dessert Party or any dining reservations you may want to get going on that too. If you're an AP those tickets are limited. To purchase them call: 407-224-7840. Make sure you tell them you are an AP holder a few times for it to sink in. ;) We bought ours and for 3 Adults, with tax our total $127.77.
We'll pick them up at the Kiosk.

Yep, I wasn't figuring on 30 min waits with EP, but it's better to know ahead of time and maybe be pleasantly surprised than be shocked when we get there I guess! Last time we went there weren't lines for really anything except FJ, which was pretty new, and the time before that was so long ago the parks were nearly empty on weekdays and we saw everything we wanted to see in 2 parks with no EP and not a long day. Pre-HP.

We’ve never waited 30 minutes for anything in the parks. Once we waited longer than usual because of a ride break down.

EP is usually guaranteed or designed to have waits of 20 minutes or less for every ride. Obviously during holidays this could be longer.

We saw the Minions regular line at 120 minutes and we were still on in less than 20 minutes with EP. That’s more the norm. As I said, holidays may be an exception.

We went on the Hulk 3 times in 15 minutes when the regular line was 75 minutes.

You’ll be fine with EP.

Touring plans are unnecessary. Get acquainted with the park maps and make a rough plan of what you want to do and work from there.......

It really is that easy.

Also, we still don't know what the weather will be like, if it's cold we will skip any ride that might soak us and Volcano Bay will also be taken off the table. We're flying out on Tuesday, Nov 27th - Tuesday, Dec 3rd and staying at Royal Pacific. If we decide it's too cold out for Volcano Bay, we'll most likely check out Disney Springs Christmas Tree Trail.

Also, if you haven't booked Sweets and Sounds Dessert Party or any dining reservations you may want to get going on that too. If you're an AP those tickets are limited. To purchase them call: 407-224-7840. Make sure you tell them you are an AP holder a few times for it to sink in. ;) We bought ours and for 3 Adults, with tax our total $127.77.
We'll pick them up at the Kiosk.
We don't have APs. I was toying with buying 2 park seasonal APs, then realized that one of our days (either the 7th or 8th, whichever we decide to go on) is blacked out for US, and didn't want to mess with not being able to hop those days if we wanted to. We are also playing Volcano bay by ear, another reason we didn't do seasonal passes. To add VB added lot, but to just get 3 day 3 park hoppers was about the same as 2 park seasonal passes.

I haven't hear about the dessert party, I thought about the Marvel character meal but when I saw which characters are there passed since my kids only know and like 1 (kind of 2) of the 6.

We’ve never waited 30 minutes for anything in the parks. Once we waited longer than usual because of a ride break down.

EP is usually guaranteed or designed to have waits of 20 minutes or less for every ride. Obviously during holidays this could be longer.

We saw the Minions regular line at 120 minutes and we were still on in less than 20 minutes with EP. That’s more the norm. As I said, holidays may be an exception.

We went on the Hulk 3 times in 15 minutes when the regular line was 75 minutes.

You’ll be fine with EP.

Touring plans are unnecessary. Get acquainted with the park maps and make a rough plan of what you want to do and work from there.......

It really is that easy.
I'm going to hope this is the case! I'm debating what to do about Hagrid's and Ollivanders since they don't have EP.

I never got to ride Escape From Gringotts, it broke down three times while we were in line waiting for it. The last time was in the evening and we waited 10-15 mins. then we were told it was down for the night. :(

I can also confirm if you plan on buying a wand or other HP merchandise the USO stores offers discounts that you cannot get at Wizarding World of Harry Potter. ::yes::

Don't pay for a touring plan. Anytime someone has posted what their proposed plan was as generated by TP, it was totally illogical. Universal just doesn't need that degree of planning. :)

I can also confirm if you plan on buying a wand or other HP merchandise the USO stores offers discounts that you cannot get at Wizarding World of Harry Potter. ::yes::
What are the USO stores? I thought you bought the wands in Ollivanders, in either park? I was assuming we wouldn't get any discounts since we don't have any APs, let along the ones that give discounts. Are there other discounts I should be aware of?

Don't pay for a touring plan. Anytime someone has posted what their proposed plan was as generated by TP, it was totally illogical. Universal just doesn't need that degree of planning. :)

How interesting, personally I've never used them but I do like comparing their Crowd Calendars with other sites.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts