Need for touringplans plans if we have EP?

Don't pay for a touring plan. Anytime someone has posted what their proposed plan was as generated by TP, it was totally illogical. Universal just doesn't need that degree of planning. :)
Thanks! I'm already a TP member, but I don't typically use their actual touring plans at Disney and had been wondering if I should use the 2 day 2 park plan at Universal or just kind of make my own loose one. By that, I mean mainly plan when we would try for Hagrids, which i still don't have a handle on but am following that thread, and figure out when to fit in the Ollivander's show. But I also thought you didn't have to se the show to get a wand for the kids, so I was wondering if I should even worry about that. If TPs plans don't take into account having UEP, it seems like they could actually be a hindrance rather than a help (for example, crossing the park when it wouldn't matter since we have UEP, etc).

It's an odd feeling to not have to plan, I kind of like it but also don't want to miss out because i didn't plan something :-).

What are the USO stores? I thought you bought the wands in Ollivanders, in either park? I was assuming we wouldn't get any discounts since we don't have any APs, let along the ones that give discounts. Are there other discounts I should be aware of?

These are the store usually at each park entrance. They carry a variety of products including HP. Wands, robes, t's etc. AP holders get discounts there.

These are the store usually at each park entrance. They carry a variety of products including HP. Wands, robes, t's etc. AP holders get discounts there.
Ok, thanks. is there a benefit to buying wants in Ollivanders? I thought you went through some kind of show or something, along the lines of Savi's but not as elaborate, where the want picks you or some such premise, like in the movie. Do you not?

Thanks! I'm already a TP member, but I don't typically use their actual touring plans at Disney and had been wondering if I should use the 2 day 2 park plan at Universal or just kind of make my own loose one. By that, I mean mainly plan when we would try for Hagrids, which i still don't have a handle on but am following that thread, and figure out when to fit in the Ollivander's show. But I also thought you didn't have to se the show to get a wand for the kids, so I was wondering if I should even worry about that. If TPs plans don't take into account having UEP, it seems like they could actually be a hindrance rather than a help (for example, crossing the park when it wouldn't matter since we have UEP, etc).

It's an odd feeling to not have to plan, I kind of like it but also don't want to miss out because i didn't plan something :-).

I think most who have been there many times don't feel the need to make a plan but I for one am still new to Universal so for us having a plan to prevent back tracking in my book is very important. To each their own :flower3:

We are staying at HRH Dec 4th-18th so have the UEP and everything I've read and watched (a LOT!!!) suggests planning the absolute minimum.

However, if a ride wait time is 20 mins I will not be worried, come on people this is a world famous theme park at Christmas, anyone expecting walk ons on all the rides is being a bit naive. An EP/UEP gives you a huge advantage not a free walk on pass.

Ok, thanks. is there a benefit to buying wants in Ollivanders? I thought you went through some kind of show or something, along the lines of Savi's but not as elaborate, where the want picks you or some such premise, like in the movie. Do you not?

Yes, they do have a show and if your picked it's a great experience but only one person gets picked per show. I still wouldn't miss going into Ollivanders for help in choosing a wand but don't feel pressured into buying it there knowing you can get it at a discount.

I'm going to hope this is the case! I'm debating what to do about Hagrid's and Ollivanders since they don't have EP.

Hagrids is just a wait and see. You can read a million people’s opinion, but yours could just be a lucky experience or......not. But good luck with that, it’s a fabulous ride......

As for Ollivanders, if you go early enough or late enough you’ll be fine. We’ve been there that time of year last two years, yes, some days are busier than others and there can be lines.....

But for normal rides and shows you have EP so no need to worry.

Yes, they do have a show and if your picked it's a great experience but only one person gets picked per show. I still wouldn't miss going into Ollivanders for help in choosing a wand but don't feel pressured into buying it there knowing you can get it at a discount.
I don't know if I care about seeing the show, since I doubt my boys would get picked and I hate to see them disappointed. They won't be in robes, etc, since they aren't huge HP fans, and also statistically it won't be likely. We're watching the movies to prepare for the trip, and my older son is reading the books but is only on Chamber of Secrets, so really I'm the bigger HP fan! I remember waiting for the later books to be released, and when Borders had midnight releases, and I went to see JK Rawling do a book reading at Radio City between books 6 and 7, when people were kind of hoping Dumbledore wasn't really dead. She shut down that theory early and bummed out the audience lol. I also remember Border's doing a survey of if you thought Snape was actually truly bad or not, and I was very happy when I found out the answer and how they dealt with it when book 7 came out. But I digress... maybe we'll buy wands if they are interested, but won't worry about the show unless the wait is really short.

We are huge HP fans but are steering clear of the expensive merch - as much as we'd love to have robes, wands etc just being in these areas and on the rides will be thrilling enough for us.

We are huge HP fans but are steering clear of the expensive merch - as much as we'd love to have robes, wands etc just being in these areas and on the rides will be thrilling enough for us.
I don't think we'll be tempted (much) by robes, etc but I won't be surprised if we end up with wands. based on our history, me in particular, that's the kind of things we get the kids. Honestly, I guess I kind of want one but will get it through them lol.

Merchandise
  • Universal Orlando Preferred annual pass holders receive 10% off all Universal-owned merchandise stores and carts throughout the resort. Premier annual pass holders receive 20% off.
  • American Express members save 10% off merchandise with a $75 minimum purchase when using their AmEx card at Universal-owned shops (excluding inside the Wizarding World). You must use your smartphone to show the American Express offer in the Universal Orlando Mobile App at the time of purchase to receive the discount.
LINK

AAA is also 10% off at Universal Stores. Again, no discounts are offered in Wizarding World parks.

I don't think we'll be tempted (much) by robes, etc but I won't be surprised if we end up with wands. based on our history, me in particular, that's the kind of things we get the kids. Honestly, I guess I kind of want one but will get it through them lol.
I did consider getting cheap wands from Amazon, just to point around in the park. but yeah, I'll probably be the same once I'm there - and we don't even have kids, just us 50+ year olds being big kids again.

I did consider getting cheap wands from Amazon, just to point around in the park. but yeah, I'll probably be the same once I'm there - and we don't even have kids, just us 50+ year olds being big kids again.

Well shoot, if your're not interested in interactive wands might as well make one, cheaper than buying...
Note, this gal is a bit zany but more can be found via google

So many DIY
https://www.google.com/search?q=DIY...7MTlAhUI-6wKHU7rCngQ_AUIFCgD&biw=1114&bih=915

OP - keep it simple...unlike the direction of this thread. Lol. Have a general idea of what the parks offer. With your unlimited express, that’s all you really need. And I personally wouldn’t skip Ollivanders, it’s short but cute and worth doing once. Diagon Alley location moves people through a bit faster than Hogsmeade.

Last edited:
If you go early in the morning using the one hour Early Park Entrance you should be able to use the regular line and see all the details. When using EP / UEP you miss them. Having a plan, getting to the park early is important. It give the time you need to see everything.

I never take the regular line unless forced to do so (when express isn’t open yet). Even when the regular line is short, why would I wait 15 minutes instead of 5? You miss very little at FJ and nothing at Gringotts. And that’s coming from a huge HP fan.

I also don’t find early entry or a touring plan necessary with unlimited express. But I also avoid the holidays like the plague.

Last edited:
Go to Ollivanders!!! Do the show!! There is ZERO rhyme or reason to who gets chosen- being dressed up etc. just doesn’t matter. And, it’s still just magical and fun. I wouldn’t want to skip buying interactive wands from Ollivanders. Best souvenir we bought. We’ve actually lent them out a few times to friends heading to Universal too.
I’d do Harris’s first. Ollivanders in Diagon Alley moves pretty well.

OP - keep it simple...unlike the direction of this thread. Lol. Have a general idea of what the parks offer. With your unlimited express, that’s all you really need. And I personally wouldn’t skip Ollivanders, it’s short but cute and worth doing once. Diagon Alley location moves people through a bit faster than Hogsmeade.

Woof! I'm not recommending a minute by minute itinerary, chill buddy!

I never take the regular line unless forced to do so (when express isn’t open yet). Even when the regular line is short, why would I wait 15 minutes instead of 5? You miss very little at FJ and nothing at Gringotts. And that’s coming from a huge HP fan.

I also don’t find early entry or a touring plan necessary with unlimited express. But I also avoid the holidays like the plague.

That's great advice for someone who's been there and done that but OP stated "I haven't been to Universal in years and am not familiar with all of the rides."

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter