Need FP Advice! My son is 43 1/2 inches

MinMou

DIS Veteran
Back in August at his annual physical, the nurse measured him at 43", so I figured that by our January trip, he would be over 44". I've been working on which Fast Passes to pick, and we are at 60 days out next week.

Two nights ago, we went to a local park, and their yardstick for the carousel showed that my son wasn't much over 42". YIKES!!!! This morning, I put our son against the wall, and our Stanley metal tape measure shows that he is 43 and a half inches.

So what do I do? Do I plan on him growing a half inch in 64 days - and that the park's rulers match mine?

If I do get FP's for Space Mountain, Mission Space and Expedition Everest, and if any or all of them say he is too short, how do they handle the Fast Passes? Do they allow substitutions?

I'm already stressed out picking FPs and trying to figure what time to get them for. This is not a surprise I needed! I am telling myself that this is supposed to be a VACATION(!!), so stop worrying, but it's not happening yet.
giphy.gif

When you measured him at home did he has his shoes on? Put running shoes on not flip flops or sandels. The runners might bump you up a little bit.

Teach him to stand up straight in his shoes, and that he wants to hit his head (gently) on the bar, rather than duck under it. You can practice at home.

Also, make your FPs for the morning when he will be tallest.

When you measured him at home did he has his shoes on? Put running shoes on not flip flops or sandels. The runners might bump you up a little bit.

Yes he was in the shoes he wears to school, and that's what he will be wearing at WDW.

Teach him to stand up straight in his shoes, and that he wants to hit his head (gently) on the bar, rather than duck under it. You can practice at home.

Also, make your FPs for the morning when he will be tallest.
I was going to make the FP's for the morning, so we would have a chance to get more for the afternoon. I will work on the rest of your advice too! But what do I do if we have a castmember who is very strict with the rules?

We're in the same boat. My daughter is almost 44 in & our trip is in Jan. I went ahead & made FP+s for everyone at the 44in rides. If she is not tall enough then we will get a rider swap and one of us will go ride something else with her or get a snack and switch off.

I would say go ahead and make FP+ for the rides you want (especially if they are for rides where FPs go quickly), assuming he would also be okay with those rides (thrill rides). You can re-measure him before the 30-day mark and see and decide if you want to switch out to other rides at that time.

Also, at my kids' pediatrician's office, they tell the kids to have their heels against the wall to make sure they are at their tallest. So maybe also practicing with him making sure his body is straight up and down instead of his body at an angle will help?

They're supposed to be very strict with the rules.
I have no problem with that. I am not trying to skirt the rules.
I was asking what happens when you show up with a FastPass and you don't meet the height requirements.

We have had really good luck with Skechers shoes. My DD is in the same boat as last year she was maybe 1/4" under 38" in regular nike shoes and the Skechers we found got her right to 38". A lot of them have just a tad bit higher sole on the bottom and a little more padding inside the shoe. Enough to get 1/4"-1/2" more maybe. They are not high heels or anything that would be dangerous, but just a little bump to help get to the line. Way better than when I have seen people say to have kids wear two pairs of socks or some other thing. Just look online or at Amazon for some.

PS I am opening myself up to some crazy flames to come my way now because of how the heights are their for child's safety and I am risking DD's life by having her wear shoes that give her 1/4" more height than others.

97562_NVLM.jpg

https://www.skechers.com/en-us/style/97562/mega-flex-mega-blade-lite/nvlm

You don't ride.
Aren't you helpful!!! You certainly embody the holiday spirit!
I am trying to find out if my Fastpass will be forfeited, or if I will get to trade it in for something else. I didn't realize that I would face such animosity from people just for trying to get facts.

I had a plan for fastpasses, and now 4 days beforehand, while trying to get ready for Thanksgiving, I have to decide whether to make a new plan. I want to do the right thing for my family and want to know what to expect. I don't have any Mouse-ka-Tools to help me, and your retort is not appreciated.

We have had really good luck with Skechers shoes. My DD is in the same boat as last year she was maybe 1/4" under 38" in regular nike shoes and the Skechers we found got her right to 38". A lot of them have just a tad bit higher sole on the bottom and a little more padding inside the shoe. Enough to get 1/4"-1/2" more maybe. They are not high heels or anything that would be dangerous, but just a little bump to help get to the line. Way better than when I have seen people say to have kids wear two pairs of socks or some other thing. Just look online or at Amazon for some.

PS I am opening myself up to some crazy flames to come my way now because of how the heights are their for child's safety and I am risking DD's life by having her wear shoes that give her 1/4" more height than others.
Unfortunately, my son has a wide foot, so that model won't work, but I will see what Stride Rite has.

Aren't you helpful!!! You certainly embody the holiday spirit!
I am trying to find out if my Fastpass will be forfeited, or if I will get to trade it in for something else. I didn't realize that I would face such animosity from people just for trying to get facts.

I had a plan for fastpasses, and now 4 days beforehand, while trying to get ready for Thanksgiving, I have to decide whether to make a new plan. I want to do the right thing for my family and want to know what to expect. I don't have any Mouse-ka-Tools to help me, and your retort is not appreciated.

Well, I'm sorry, but I don't know what else you want me to say. You and your husband would be able to ride, but your son wouldn't. Since the return window is an hour, one of you could ride while the other waits with your son, then trade off, but they're not going to let you trade it for something else.

Back in August at his annual physical, the nurse measured him at 43", so I figured that by our January trip, he would be over 44". I've been working on which Fast Passes to pick, and we are at 60 days out next week.

Two nights ago, we went to a local park, and their yardstick for the carousel showed that my son wasn't much over 42". YIKES!!!! This morning, I put our son against the wall, and our Stanley metal tape measure shows that he is 43 and a half inches.

So what do I do? Do I plan on him growing a half inch in 64 days - and that the park's rulers match mine?

If I do get FP's for Space Mountain, Mission Space and Expedition Everest, and if any or all of them say he is too short, how do they handle the Fast Passes? Do they allow substitutions?

I'm already stressed out picking FPs and trying to figure what time to get them for. This is not a surprise I needed! I am telling myself that this is supposed to be a VACATION(!!), so stop worrying, but it's not happening yet.
giphy.gif

I would go ahead and make the FP+ for all of you and see what the situation is about a week prior. You can always change your FP+. For Space Mountain, if you all have FP+ and your DS isn't tall enough, you can get a rider switch pass and while one adult is riding Space Mountain, the other could take DS on Peoplemover (or another Tomorrowland ride with a short line) and then switch riders. For Mission Space, he can go on the green side instead of orange. For EE, if he isn't tall enough, I would switch all of your FP+ to something else at that point and simply have the adults use the single rider line - one can ride while the other either goes to the gift shop with DS, get some ice cream, walk around, etc.

Well, I'm sorry, but I don't know what else you want me to say. You and your husband would be able to ride, but your son wouldn't. Since the return window is an hour, one of you could ride while the other waits with your son, then trade off, but they're not going to let you trade it for something else.

Yes, of course you can trade it for something else. If he isn't tall enough to ride and none of you want to ride at that point, simply go on the MDE app and change it to something that is available at that point. I would NOT tap any MB's for FP+ prior to measuring DS AT the ride. There's certainly no guarantee a hard-to-get ride will be available, but yes, you always have the option of modifying your FP+! If you DO want to ride with the FP+ you've scheduled for you and your spouse, even if DS isn't tall enough, ask for a rider switch so you aren't stressing the one hour FP+ time.

I have no problem with that. I am not trying to skirt the rules.
I was asking what happens when you show up with a FastPass and you don't meet the height requirements.
make sure you have him practice with a bar to have him hit. had a grandson who was tall enough but he wouldn't bump the bar just went under so he wasn't allowed to ride. took a nice CM who worked with him get him to bump his head cause he was used to standing tall against the wall with the ruler put over him. also remember if he is not tall enough he will not be allowed to wait with you in line.

Even if your son were 44 inches tall, it doesn't mean he should ride. Not all kids are ready for the mature thrill rides just because they are tall enough. This past year we went with my adult daughter and SiL and our two grandkids, 9 and 11. They took them on space mountain and the 9 year old was really mad at her parents and didn't trust them after that. It made her anxious for all the rides thereafter. (The 11 year old love it and went on twice.) Remember space mountain is a single seater seat configuration. Just saying...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter