Need help from anyone who has flown/connected thru ATL

zulaya

DIS Veteran
I got in on the Delta sale but have connecting flights thru Atlanta. I have never been through this airport before and their website is not very informative in terms of moving from one terminal to the next.

Looking at the flights today, it looks like I most likely will be jumping terminals for my flights. I thought I read on the airport website that there is an underground train that does a loop to the terminals. is this correct?

Is the signage good? I have an 1 hour between flights so I am hoping that this is enough.

Anyone connected on Delta flights through here? How do I find out what gate my connecting flight is at once I land? Or if I can find this out ahead of time, how do I do it and how far in advance can I find out?

Atlanta is not too bad. There is a train/subway that connects the various concourses. It's very easy to use. There are a lot of signs so you shouldn't have a problem if you have to go from one concourse to another.
1 hour should be enough time.
The day before you leave, hop on Delta's website, put in your flight number under the "Arrival/Departure Information", hit go and then click details. It'll give you tentative gate numbers. These may change of course, but it'll give you some idea. Delta should annouce various connecting flights and their gate umber as you arrive to your gate in Atlanta. If they don't then just look for a tv screen that'll have the info you need. Have a great trip!

I agree, Atlanta is pretty simple. An hour should give you plenty of time.

I always ask for the information on what gate/terminal I will be leaving from when I check in on the first leg. You can also check you flights when you arrive in Atlanta on the tv screens.

Atlanta Airport is about 7 long (huge) hallways (terminals) parallel to each other with a tunnel going underneath all of them perpendicular.

If you are on Delta, you will probably be at terminal A or B and will leave from terminal A or B. When you get off your plane, find out where your next gate is, then walk towards the center of your "terminal". Take the escalator downstairs to the tunnel. You can then either walk or take the train to your desired terminal. Then take the escalator back upstairs and then proceed to your gate. There are about 35 gates per terminal and the tunnel is in the middle, so you have to check the signs to see which direction to go.

How sure are you all that Delta will be in Terminal A or B? I was checking their website and it appears that they have flights going in to all terminals at ATL. Just wondering.

All of the ATL - MCO flights I have taken have been from A or B, and the flights from my hometown HSV have always landed in A or B.

Just curious where HSV is as I am not familiar with that airport acronym.

I guess I'll have to check and see where the flights from MSP have been docking at ATL so I have some idea of where I will be going.

For the underground train/walkway - do you mostly take the train or would you walk it if you only have to go over 1 terminal? Just wondering how long the walk is - if it's faster to take the train or a better deal to walk it?

Huntsville, AL

The trains run pretty quick, and there are moving sidewalks in the walkway. I usually take the train.

Being an Atlanta native, and always flying in and out of Atlanta, one thing I can say is, we (true) Atlantans pride ourselves in being friendly and helpful, especially in our airport, since we know it's huge.

Your best bet is to ask right when you get off your plane for connections, and they will direct you down the escalator, which leads right to the train. Trains only go North and South, and they are marked beautifully. They run every 30 seconds or so. Good luck, and ask a friendly face if you get confused!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter