Need help in deciding when to get to the terminal

vgaskin

Mouseketeer
We are going on the W. Magic 11/22. We are flying down to Orlando on the 20th and staying at the Beach Club, we are also going back to the Beach Club after the cruise. My mom will have a vehicle. The last cruise we were on was the land/sea package so Disney took us and we didn't have to check in at the port, just walk right on. And since many did that, there wasn't much of a line.

So what time do we want to get to the port? I am really not interested in getting there at 10 or 11 and waiting for 2 hours. We probably won't need spa reservations, dinner changes, and maybe not even Palo, mom might but is not set on it and doesn't care what night. I was thinking we would get there between 12:30-1:30 but is the line to check in going to be super huge. Can we wait closer to 1:30 and avoid the big line? We don't absolutely want to be the 1st on the boat but don't want to get there too late and don't want to wait hours in line, is there such a time?????

Thanks

Go around 1:00 and there are virtually NO lines! We don't do the big sitting in the terminal thing any more either and now arrive later...we check in within in minutes and walk right on the ship, no waiting in a boarding line. And I still have had plenty of time to get Palo and spa reservations too. :)

Great! My plan was to leave around noon from the Beach Club but was starting to worry that the lines might be big. We are on the 7 night cruise.

Embarkation can technically start as late as 1, but out of 33 cruises, I've only seen that happen once. Usually it's between 12:15 and 12:30, and the vast majority of people arrive at the port early. As Michelle said, by 1 you should be able to walk right on. The only reason you might have to wait is in the event of some unforeseen delay, but that is very unlikely.
Of course, hubby and I always get there around 11 and the wait time seems to fly buy. I think it's because as soon as you're on vacation, you enter the "***" zone ("Mickey Vacation Time" Zone), where time goes by two to three times faster than normal.
Barb
Visit the Platinum Castaway Club at: www.castawayclub.com

I am planning on getting to the terminal around 10:30...I know it's a long wait. But the kids will have fun checking out the terminal, and I want to meet Dis'ers, if possible. Oh heck! Just put me there now and save the hassle!!!

When we did the land/sea we arrived after 1:00. It was nice to walk on. Last year, we stayed at CB and arrived around 11:30. The lines to check in were very short. Of course I got behind the group who didn't have their paperwork filled out, so I switched lines! I always seem to pick the wrong lines! Anyway, we were in line about 11:50 or so. Even though it looks long it goes pretty fast. We started near the ship replica.

I liked arriving earlier because I didn't feel rushed. Unfortunately, next year I have found that in searching for hotels with and without shuttle service that the shuttles are not picking up very early. I even called Art's shuttle who does a lot of this. I called to schedule my own pick up and he told me that I wouldn't be picked up until around 12.

Oh well, the good news is that we're on the 7-night this time and I'm not worried about time. We did the 3-night the last 2 times where there is definitely not enough time. Also, I'm only doing the rainforest, so I don't need to worry about spa times. And if we get lucky enough, I would like to schedule a Palo brunch.

Have fun!

If there is ANYTHING you need to stand in line for once on the ship: Spa, Palo, Kids in the clubs, excursion sign ups, etc. IMHO it is much better to spend time in line off of the ship than on the ship. If you are in line in the terminal for about 1 hour and you save even 30 minutes on the ship, its a good trade. If you are registering kids in the labs, you will save that hour easily. The hour upfront can save several hours waiting while on the ship. Like Barb said, *** (Mickey Vacation Time) goes into high speed once on the ship and the whole thing is over before you know it. *** is very precious, waiting before being able to board is not a big deal.

We have cruised 4 times, and have arrived at different times. This year was the best. I got into the terminal at 12:00 and the ok was just given to board. I walked right up to the counter and took care of the paper work. When DH returned from dropping off the car he just had to show his id and we could board. We boarded at 12:30 and walked right on the ship, initial surge had already entered. When we were boarding I looked and there were lines at the counters, so this will be our plan for next year.

1st cruise - 10:30 too early, nice to see the terminal but that takes all of 20 minutes and I really don't like lines

2nd cruise - 12:30 ok but there were lines at the counters.

3rd cruise - 1:15 too late, wasn't hungry for dinner after all those shrimp - but the lines were ok.

This is just my experience, but I think this year was just perfect!

I believe they serve lunch in Parrot Cay until 2 or 2:30, and in Topsiders (Beach Blanket) until 3:30. Because of the boat drill, all services are suspended at 3:30.

My kids don't spend much time in the clubs but we do register them just in case. On the wonder, you couldn't register then until late afternoon, has this changed or is it different on the Magic? Thanks

Sounds like we will shoot for betwen 12:30-1pm

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter