Need help in recreating Floridian landscapes in NE Pennsylvania

kittythepoohbear

Mouseketeer
Hello all! I am a gardening newbie that recently inhereted my late FMILs garden when I moved to PA. There are a few overgrown shrubs and a sturdy little rose bush but not much else so I have a lot of freedom when it comes to landscaping and planting. A big dream of mine is to create a small Floridian/Disney garden in a back corner of the yard that can also extend into the enclosed deck with potted plants. Here's the rub - we are in Zone 5 and have very cold winters and unpredictable springs. I know that a lot of the plants and flowers I think of when I think Florida (hibiscus, gardenia, plumbago)would not survive out here. :(
I would appreciate any advice on plants and flowers that fit the theme that would tolerate a zone 5 climate. Searches on various gardening sites online have just left me confused. :headache: Also, how easy would it be to grow Birds of Paradise, orchids, and such in a potted garden on the enclosed deck? It is completely enclosed with windows so it retains heat pretty well although it is far from a greehnouse. Any info and advice would be a tremendous help. I figure if anyone out there would know how to accomllish this, it would be a fellow DISer! TIA!

Hello all! I am a gardening newbie that recently inhereted my late FMILs garden when I moved to PA. There are a few overgrown shrubs and a sturdy little rose bush but not much else so I have a lot of freedom when it comes to landscaping and planting. A big dream of mine is to create a small Floridian/Disney garden in a back corner of the yard that can also extend into the enclosed deck with potted plants. Here's the rub - we are in Zone 5 and have very cold winters and unpredictable springs. I know that a lot of the plants and flowers I think of when I think Florida (hibiscus, gardenia, plumbago)would not survive out here. :(
I would appreciate any advice on plants and flowers that fit the theme that would tolerate a zone 5 climate. Searches on various gardening sites online have just left me confused. :headache: Also, how easy would it be to grow Birds of Paradise, orchids, and such in a potted garden on the enclosed deck? It is completely enclosed with windows so it retains heat pretty well although it is far from a greehnouse. Any info and advice would be a tremendous help. I figure if anyone out there would know how to accomllish this, it would be a fellow DISer! TIA!

Hi, we too are trying to bring Disney in our gardening and inside the house somehow, but really am not too sure where to start. Anyway...I live in Nanticoke, PA. :)

I'm in zone 7, so you are much colder than I am, but are we talking about a lush tropical looking garden?

I would go to the nursery and look for plants that look tropical, but are suited to your zone. Here cannas and day lillies, for example, look very tropical and are not. And then If you have room in the house to overwinter some actual tropicals in pots, then fit them into the garden. They can be placed where the pots don't show. Maybe palm, bananas, mandevilla, even rubber tree plants look tropical.

Plus add in some elephant ears and caladiums (bulbs can be taken in in the fall)

Perhaps a fountain in a barrel or large pot that can be stored away in the fall.

Hi! And Welcome to cold climate gardening!
First of all try to figure out what yr yard's microclimates are. I am in a zone 4, but in the sheltered side of our house facing south it is a definate Zone 5 almost 6! Wonderful, because it is the long side of the house!
Also, there are a few very good magazines & catalogues that emphasis colder climates. a few of my faves:

This is for Northeast gardeners (that's the way the adverts & events are slanted), and you'll get plenty of ideas for varieties. there may be an edition or be on the lookout for a mag particular to yr area.
Call yr local university extension master gardener, they'll know!
http://www.ppplants.com/resources/photos_of_the_week/index.php?date=2006-12-31
some ground covers, as well as trees, shrubs & fruits:
http://www.millernurseries.com/catalog1.php
these folks are so reliable & their catalogue has tons of info:
http://www.whiteflowerfarm.com/
one of my fave catalogues for bulbs & some perennials:
http://www.dutchgardens.com/on/dema...ardens-Site/default/Default-Start?SC=XKET8019

Local garden clubs are great sources of info. 4H clubs usually have a newsletter that will contain phone numbers &/or articles on area gardeners or such. Keep an eye out for plant swaps or sales in yr town or farmer's markets: great for buying, even better for information! :thumbsup2

There are some types of hibiscus that do well here in the North!
I am thinking, too of liatris for hardiness & color; cannas, yes, you may need to pull them up & overwinter in a dry basement; hostas!; clematis; trumpet vine (be sure that it is not the invasive kind); begonias--all types! I especially like the jumbo sized Flamingo or wave begonias (also must overwinter inside); daylilies!!! hardy & colorful!; iris--ditto!...
You might like some of the grasses, too
Boxwood or Korean boxwood, if you'd like to do those small hedges to outline beds
Perhaps it's not yr idea of Florida, but hydrangas are lovely, fast blooming--try Endless Summer--and hardy. Nice to bring inside, great for drying~
Of course, the annuals list is endless--so many types of cockscomb, statice,
bedding begonias & impatience, dahlias (try the dinner plate size, too!); marigolds, geraniums etc etc
Hang up those wonderful lush baskets of fushia! Yum--lovely!

Good Luck! :flower3:

Jean

Thanks so much for all the info! I already love daylillies and have quite a few in my front yard. I honestly didn't think of them for the Floridian garden but now that I think of all the beautiful bright colors I can get I know they will definitely work! Same for hostas which I have dying to try as my local nursery has some beautiful varieties.

Rockyroad, I love the idea of a rubber tree plant and the bananas. I am sure I can overwinter the more delicate plants in the enclosed deck or even in the basement. The idea of a fountain was also nice. Had not thought of that!

Jean, thanks for all the links! I am going to explore them now and order some catalogs. I am very, very new to the world of gardening and did not even know about the possibilities of microclimates in my yard. I will figure it out as the area has some interesting sun/shade patterns due to nearby trees and the deck. Thanks for the ideas of the annuals - almost all of my experience so far has been with perennials. I can see myself spending a lot money in the near future!

tcp0421 - Howdy neighbor! Perhaps we can start our Disney gardens at the same time and then swap ideas!

Kat

jonestavern

I envy you all the fuscias.

The first time I saw fuscia I was amazed.

I tried to grow them for several years. They always sell them here in beautiful hanging baskets in the spring now.

I thought I was doing something wrong as every time the fuscia would look great for a while and then decline.

Then I finally discovered that when the temp at night gets up to 80 for a bit, the fuscia is a goner. Now I look at them in the nursery, say how pretty, and get something that will do well...uhh... or maybe just better...in the Memphis heat and humidity.

How about doing some creative shaping of boxwood shrubs into Mickey Ears?
I live in PA too, and my favorite tree in the yard right now is my corkscrew willow. It makes me so happy to see it waving in the wind...all curly-qued and happy! You need to make sure the ground is wet enough to support a willow though...and don't plant it too close to the house. I just love it. Mine is more like a bush, with 3 or 4 main trunks and 4 or 5 larger branches coming from the main trunks. I can't wait until my kids can swing from the branches of that tree and make forts underneath it.

You may also like to try a grass called "fiber-optic" grass. It reminds me of being at Fantasmic and seeing all the kids with their $20 dollar fiberoptic toys waving in the air!!!! It's a cool looking perennial grass.

Also, think about a rambling rose bush in mickey mouse red. I forget the technical name for it, but it is kind of a climbing rose..and absolutely gorgeous all summer long.

If you have a fence you need something to climb onto, then a honeysuckle may be nice. They smell yummy and my kids love to pick them and suck the sweet nectar out. Beware though...the honeysuckle will take over the fence!

Yellow marigolds mixed with red geraniums and white impatiens in black pots look very Mickey-ish too!

Ooohhh, the fun and promise of a brand new garden space!
Have fun making it your piece of Disney in PA!

Some great suggestions so far (Cannas, Caladiums, etc.) Here are some plants that have worked for me (central Indiana - zone 5) They are all great at giving a more tropical feel in the landscape.

Perenials and grasses:
:thumbsup2 Hardy Hibiscus or Swamp Rose-mallow Hibiscus moscheutos (if you don't read any farther at least read this - find this one and try it - 4-7" flowers - always a huge hit - no maintenance)
Ostrich fern Matteuccia struthiopteris (a BIG fern in the right conditions)
Yellow Groove Bamboo Phyllostachys aureosulcata (10-15 ft tall, great screen, but boy does it spread once established :scared1: )
Broadleaf Bamboo Sasa palmata (another spreading bamboo - short)
Dwarf Fern-leaf Bamboo Pleoblastus pygmaeus (ditto)
Giant Chinese Silver Grass Miscanthus giganteus (a personal favorite 10-12 feet)
Giant Reed Arundo donax (another huge grass - very tropical looking - fun)

Tropicals:
Small banana plants Musa (3-5 ft) are great - stick with the smaller varieties or you'll end up with a plant come fall that won't fit into the house.

Trees/shrubs:
Golden Raintree Koelreuteria paniculata (flowers in summer, interesting leaves and flowers, great fall color too)
Kentucky Coffee Tree Gymnocladus dioicus (another interesting tree, double compound leaves, can be messy)
Northern Catalpa Catalpa speciosa (big broad tropical type leaves, curved seed pods)

These are all plants that I have had success with here in zone 5. They tend toward a more "wild" tropical feel. I love the variety of Disney landscapes too. Good luck.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter