Need help planning our first DVC trip at Thanksgiving

Memorymakerfor4

DIS Veteran
We just closed on our contract and are really thinking we'd like to go Thanksgiving 2019. I realize we can't book until December, but it's never to early to plan right?

I would like to stay 7 nights, possibly 8. Due to school age kiddos, we'd like to minimize the time they're out of school so we will be there the entire week, crowds and all. My question is whether to load a few extra days on the front end or after wait until after Turkey day. We'd like to miss the Star Wars crowd extra craziness, but without knowing opening day I wonder if that would be cutting it too close. BUT I've also heard the Christmas parties are so much better after Thanksgiving. Is this true? What am I not thinking of?

Also, what do you consider to be things that are a must do at that time? I was hoping to take one day and do a resort tour to see the different decorations.

Thanks! I've been stalking dis for most of the year, since we started planning our July trip. Now it's helpful on a completely different level with DVC.

I have never been at Thanksgiving, but I have been there the weekend right after(1st week of De) & I HIGHLY RECOMMEND doing the resort tour for decorations. Don't miss the Grand Floridian. If the weather is nice, take the boat between MK, Fort Wilderness, WL & BLT. (I think that is the loop) I have heard that the decorations at Fort Wilderness are cool too; kids might like that. Christmas party is worth the money.. Great with less lines, & slightly different fireworks & "Dance party" if your kids are into that. Enjoy! Debbie

We just bought DVC too! We have a July ‘19 trip booked but also plan to go during Thanksgiving ‘19 as well!

I’ve only ever been to WDW in August so I’m looking forward to reading what others have to say. :goodvibes

We love Disney at Thanksgiving. The crowds are much lower the weekend before than the weekend after. If you are going to add days, definitely do it the week before.

If I remember correctly, there are no Christmas parties during Thanksgiving week. Candlelight Processional begins after Thanksgiving.

We just bought DVC too! We have a July ‘19 trip booked but also plan to go during Thanksgiving ‘19 as well!

I’ve only ever been to WDW in August so I’m looking forward to reading what others have to say. :goodvibes

Where did you buy? We're at CC. We've always loved that resort and stayed there this past July because I wanted to check out the villas.

Ah - just answered my own question. I spotted your tag at the bottom of your post.

Last edited:

Where did you buy? We're at CC. We've always loved that resort and stayed there this past July because I wanted to check out the villas.

Ah - just answered my own question. I spotted your tag at the bottom of your post.

I forgot I had the tag.. I can’t see them when using the mobile version. :D

We actually have never been to WL. The only times we went to WDW we’ve stayed at the Poly. But I’m looking forward to staying in the mail building and DS has been wanting to eat at Whispering Canyon Cafe! This time it’ll make it so much more convenient to go there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!