Need Help with a Toodles Costume

aprylann28

Mouseketeer
Hi, I hope Im posting this in the right forum. If not, please feel free to move.

My three year old son wants to be Toodles for Halloween. This is the first year that he has really understood what Halloween is and has been able to tell me what he wants to be, so I want to let him be whatever he wants. However, I am not a very crafty person at all, and I cannot find a Toodles costume anywhere. I have tried costume shops, Ebay, Etsy, Pinterest, Party City, Amazon, and any place else I could think of that might have a Toodles costume, but no luck. I have asked him three times if he would rather be something else, but he always tells me I be Toodles.

I know there are some very crafty and talented people on these boards, so I was hoping maybe someone here might have some ideas about how to make a Toodles costume. I have had three ideas so far, but I am worried that they will all end up looking stupid:

1. I bought a long sleeve white shirt. I was going to paint the arms red, the back yellow, and the front a pale blue. Then I was going to paint the various colored dots on the front. I bought some Mickey Mouse ears on a headband from Party City and was going to try to paint them red and yellow. However, I am now worried that it will end up looking like he is just wearing a very stupid shirt instead of a costume.

2. My second idea was to cut cardboard circles out of a big box and paint them to look like Toodles. Then attach them together with some ribbon to make something almost like a sandwich board that he could just wear over his clothes. But now I am worried that this will just look cheap and stupid.

3. My third idea was similar to the second, but I was going to use round white pillow forms from JoAnn Fabrics to make the costume look a little fuller and not as cheap. But I am still worried that this will look just as stupid as the other two ideas.

Maybe I am just being too worried. I just want him to look cute and have happy memories of the first costume he was able to pick out on his own.

I do not know how to sew, so anything involving sewing is out. Does anyone have any ideas on how to make a decent looking Toodles costume, or do you think one of my ideas above would be okay?

Thank you all in advance for your help. I really appreciate it.

Hey!! If I were you I would do the cardboard route. For my sons first Halloween he was a race car driver and I made a car to go around his stroller made out of cardboard boxes. The paint is what will make it look good. I got so many compliments - most people so impressed with my creativity. I think that'd be the easiest, cheapest and look the best. Good luck and post pictures! My guy is Mickey this year but have a feeling Toodles might be next!!

After seeing some pictures online of a round angry birds costume that someone made out of cardboard, I decided to take TDmoney's advice and go with the cardboard. My local craft store also had colored poster board on sale for 99¢, so I bought that so I wouldn't have to paint it.

Overall, I think the costume turned out pretty good. But I now also know that my worry was for nothing. My little man absolutely loved this costume and was so excited to wear it. As soon as I saw how happy he was, I knew it didn't matter what anyone else thought. For the record, though, everyone who saw it while we were trick or treating thought it was absolutely adorable. He loves it so much that he is still wearing it around the house two days later.

Here he is:

Toodles5_zps85d3d5bf.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

We also had a witch and a Jedi knight in the family:

group_zps85daab92.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Anyway, thank you, TDmoney, for encouraging me to go with the cardboard. I think it really was the best option.

After seeing some pictures online of a round angry birds costume that someone made out of cardboard, I decided to take TDmoney's advice and go with the cardboard. My local craft store also had colored poster board on sale for 99¢, so I bought that so I wouldn't have to paint it. Overall, I think the costume turned out pretty good. But I now also know that my worry was for nothing. My little man absolutely loved this costume and was so excited to wear it. As soon as I saw how happy he was, I knew it didn't matter what anyone else thought. For the record, though, everyone who saw it while we were trick or treating thought it was absolutely adorable. He loves it so much that he is still wearing it around the house two days later. Here he is: [/URL][/IMG] We also had a witch and a Jedi knight in the family: [/URL][/IMG] Anyway, thank you, TDmoney, for encouraging me to go with the cardboard. I think it really was the best option.

Can't see the picture, but so glad it worked out. Such a sense of accomplishment making their costumes and them loving it!! Way to go!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter