Need ideas for 5 hour LAX layover on way to Aulani

jekjones1558

Always happy at Disney
Our flight times were changed and I can't change them without giving up first class seats, so we arrive at LAX at 11:19 AM and don't leave until 4:25 PM. Who has had a layover at LAX and has ideas? I am a nervous traveler and worry about leaving the airport and getting stuck in traffic or backed up in a long line to go through security again. But our day is going to be REALLY long (like 15 hours total air and layover) and I want to make it as fun as possible. We could walk around the airport and hang out in the Delta lounge, but is there any other relatively safe choice way to make the time pass quickly? Do we dare go to, say Manhattan beach?

Our flight times were changed and I can't change them without giving up first class seats, so we arrive at LAX at 11:19 AM and don't leave until 4:25 PM. Who has had a layover at LAX and has ideas? I am a nervous traveler and worry about leaving the airport and getting stuck in traffic or backed up in a long line to go through security again. But our day is going to be REALLY long (like 15 hours total air and layover) and I want to make it as fun as possible. We could walk around the airport and hang out in the Delta lounge, but is there any other relatively safe choice way to make the time pass quickly? Do we dare go to, say Manhattan beach?

I flew in and out of LAX last month on Delta, it's very crowded. There are a few airport stores, nothing great. I think there are 8 terminals, Delta's is not that big. Be sure to allow enough time. It was about 45 min to Disneyland after we got the rental car, middle of the day.

I personally wouldn't leave airport for five hour layover. 8+ hours yes, less no. Security and rental car or taxi too much of a hassle

In your shoes I wouldn't leave LAX. Its taken me over an hour to get through security at LAX on multiple occasions. Going someplace, coming back, and having to go through security again would be a nightmare.

Use the lounge, have a nice relaxing lunch ... LAX has some of the better food options of the airport I've been to.

One thing I keep saying that I'd do if I ever had the time is to go to the iconic restaurant at the airport - it looks like it's called The Encounter.

http://www.encounterlax.com/encounter_genesis.html

It will be going outside of security but you'd remain at the airport. And it seems to have a Disney connection that I hadn't expected.

"Q: Who designed the Encounter?
A: The interior of the restaurant was designed by Ed Sotto and Ellen Guevara for Walt Disney Imagineering (WDI). WDI designer Michael Valentino created the interior of the building and exterior lighting program. (WDI is the master planning, creative development, design, engineering, production management, and research and development subsidiary of the Walt Disney Company.)"

I would not leave the airport during that length of layover.

One thing I keep saying that I'd do if I ever had the time is to go to the iconic restaurant at the airport - it looks like it's called The Encounter.

http://www.encounterlax.com/encounter_genesis.html

It will be going outside of security but you'd remain at the airport. And it seems to have a Disney connection that I hadn't expected.

"Q: Who designed the Encounter?
A: The interior of the restaurant was designed by Ed Sotto and Ellen Guevara for Walt Disney Imagineering (WDI). WDI designer Michael Valentino created the interior of the building and exterior lighting program. (WDI is the master planning, creative development, design, engineering, production management, and research and development subsidiary of the Walt Disney Company.)"

I would not leave the airport during that length of layover.
We've had 4-5 hours at LAX a number of times. IF you have to change terminals and get dinner, that and the lead time to a flight will take up much of that time. I would not leave and not plan activities. Just try to plan a meal. I forget the name but there's a Diner in one of the Delta areas (I think it was in the terminal they generally use for HI) that was quite good, it's similar to Johnny Rockets in terms of food. It was quite good.

Thanks for the advice, everyone. DISers seem to know just about everything when it comes to travel!

The restaurants and shops are after security, so I don't think you would be able to go to a different terminal to look around or eat. Delta is in terminal 5 and they have a tunnel to terminal 6 within security but the other terminals you would have to exit security.

The restaurants and shops are after security, so I don't think you would be able to go to a different terminal to look around or eat. Delta is in terminal 5 and they have a tunnel to terminal 6 within security but the other terminals you would have to exit security.

I know that we would have to go through security but hopefully we will have enough time.

I know that we would have to go through security but hopefully we will have enough time.

What I meant was if you wanted to go shop or dine in terminal 1 for example, you would not be able to get through security there with a Delta boarding pass because Delta is in 5 and 6. So if you wanted to kill time in the airport, you would be limited to 5 and 6.

If you leave the secure area, you'll have to go back thru security to catch your next flight. LAX is very busy/large and it's not quick to get a rental car or even catch a cab. Just be glad that you have plenty of time to chill between flights. Use the time to stretch your legs, get a drink and refresh yourself.

What I meant was if you wanted to go shop or dine in terminal 1 for example, you would not be able to get through security there with a Delta boarding pass because Delta is in 5 and 6. So if you wanted to kill time in the airport, you would be limited to 5 and 6.

Okay, now I understand. But Encounter restaurant is not in a terminal building so we should be okay with going there, right?

If you leave the secure area, you'll have to go back thru security to catch your next flight. LAX is very busy/large and it's not quick to get a rental car or even catch a cab. Just be glad that you have plenty of time to chill between flights. Use the time to stretch your legs, get a drink and refresh yourself.

And we may not end up having 5 hours to kill because we are flying out of Minneapolis in January. Last year both our March and our April departures to WDW were during huge snow storms and almost didn't leave at all.

Okay, now I understand. But Encounter restaurant is not in a terminal building so we should be okay with going there, right?

That's correct. Just an exit out of the terminal and across to the restaurant so no security check point to get into the restaurant area. And then back into the terminal and thru security at that point. Be certain to allow for more time to get thru security than required at MSP. LAX can be quick at times and then totally bottleneck at others.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter