Need ideas for bushes.

Papa Deuce

<font color="red">BBQ loving, fantasy football pla
I'm looking for bushes / shrubs that won't get any higher than 3' high or so. They will be going in front of my deck to cover the area under the floor. The deck is brown and I live in zone 5.

I'd like something that looks good all year long but it doesn't have to have flowers all year long,

And the space is about 40 feet long. I can mix it up with flowers and bushes.

Ideas.

I have a Viburnum(sp). It has pretty little flowers in the spring smells wonderful. Plus no pruning Yeh!

HERSEY said:
I have a Viburnum(sp). It has pretty little flowers in the spring smells wonderful. Plus no pruning Yeh!

I know that name but I cant place it. I'll check the net.

I have Azalea in front of mine they stay fairly small with a little pruning.

Very few of the flowering shrubs stay small, most grow tall. Evergreens (like boxwood, false cypress, birdsnest spruce) stay rather small with light prunning.

There are also some low growing rhododendron and laurels if your looking for something to flower.

Overall most shrubs get rather tall and need regular prunning to keep them small. Lots of the flowering shrubs when pruned will not flower.

Another flowering shrub is spiraea it can be kept small with regular prunning and still flower.

Hey Papa Deuce, just purchased some new bushes. The one I love I got from Waterloo Gardens. Very green, space 3-4' height 2-3'. I live in Media and bought for the same reason, to cover whats in back of it. Good luck

I'm new to this, but what about Indian Hawthorn? We've got that around our deck and the variety we have only grows to about 3 feet.

I like Miss Kim lilacs. I had some 2 houses ago and hope I can get some for here. I also like Pee Gee hydrangeas. You cut them down to the ground at the beginning of winter here, so if you're looking for winter interest too they aren't a good choice. But they are great when they bloom!

bananiem said:
I like Miss Kim lilacs. I had some 2 houses ago and hope I can get some for here. I also like Pee Gee hydrangeas. You cut them down to the ground at the beginning of winter here, so if you're looking for winter interest too they aren't a good choice. But they are great when they bloom!
what are pee gee hydrangeas? I have a hydrangea tree and I love it.

I like Virburnum and Spirea. There's lots of different Spirea's out there to choose from.

I'll second spireas. I've had some at two houses. There are also some smaller varieties of hollies - Hellera (sp?) maybe -- is a smaller one.

LBAK said:
I like Virburnum and Spirea. There's lots of different Spirea's out there to choose from.

Agree on Spirea. Have a variety called 'Shirobana' and it is pretty compact. Easy to trim to keep a round shape. Flowers different shades of pink in June and may flower again later in summer. Looses its leaves in the fall.

Also try Dwarf Fothergilla. A little more upright than spirea, but has nice small bottlebrush flowers in May. After it blooms, the leaves start forming. Leaves turn orange in the fall. Both are easy to maintain.

THanks... I'll look them up on the net. I forgot about hydrangeas.

If you have afternoon shade in your planting area, a hydrangea would be a nice choice, especially a dwarf hydrangea, like Pia. I have one, and it's doing great. :)

Check it out! ~Pia~

How about variegated dogwood? It's got leaves that are cream and light green and the sticks are red in winter. I think it likes some shade.

bananiem said:
How about variegated dogwood? It's got leaves that are cream and light green and the sticks are red in winter. I think it likes some shade.

I love those. But I already have them in front of my house.

Snowwark said:
If you have afternoon shade in your planting area, a hydrangea would be a nice choice, especially a dwarf hydrangea, like Pia. I have one, and it's doing great. :)

Check it out! ~Pia~

That might work. Thanks.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter