Need offsite/onsite advice

Cyndirella

GO PANTHERS!!!
This is my first post although I've spent numerous hours reading all of the valuable advice on these boards!I have been to WDW several times but have always stayed offsite. I'm planning a trip for late April and have been really confused about staying offsite or onsite....gotta admit I'm curious about all of the 'magic' that everyone says goes with staying onsite. That said, I also admit I hate the standard 2 bed, hotel room set up for my family. I'm typically a night owl and like to read or watch TV before going to sleep.....this poses a problem because my DD's (ages 5 & 8) will not go to sleep with a light or TV on. I do not want to pay the huge rates for the onsite resorts with separate sleeping/living quarters. I have finally come to the conclusion to stay offsite (possibly HIFS) for the first 3 or 4 nights then switch to onsite for the last 2 or 3 nights. (Guess I can turn in early for a couple of nights...by then I'll probably be needing to anyway!!) I would like any words of advice from anyone who has done this before....is it worth the hassle of moving? Any suggestions for reasonable, clean, close offsite suite hotels other than HIFS? I'm considering the CBR
or a deluxe for the onsite choice.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

First let me say Welcome Cyndirella.

I think what you should do is first decide how much money you want to spend on you hotel portion of your trip then see what you can get for that money.

I did a little investigating for you. The HIFS is $159 for kids suites. I've never stayed there, but I did think about it for my upcoming trip. It's nice that you would have a separate bedroom from the kids. Each with its own TV.

The Doubleetree Suites in Downtown Disney is $139 ($125 with AAA discount). Then you could watch TV in the living room, while they sleep in the bedroom, plus you are on-property, though not a Disney hotel.

You should make a reservation that you can cancel and wait and see what discounts Disney comes out with. If they do what they did last year, you could get two connecting rooms at the CBR for $89 per night each. That's $178 per night for two rooms. That might be the way to go.

Or if you get a deluxe for the whole time, you could go read on the balcony, but no TV then.

Check out Tropical Palms Fun Resort.. Stayed there in September and it's awesome! We had a 2 bedroom cottage for $79 a night.. Also has a sleeping loft and a pull-out full size sofa bed.. Full size kitchen appliances - including microwave. Big deck with patio chairs and picnic table.. Five to ten minute drive to the parks.. Way back off main road and very quiet.. I'd go back in a heartbeat! :)

Thanks for the info & ideas!! I made some calls today and currently have the first 3 nights booked at HIFS ($125/nt). I think it may work better for us than Doubletree since we will get the breakfast included. I also called Disney to inquire about rates for the Poly (best rate $333/nt for garden view) or BC ($318/nt for standard view)....ugh!! I am willing to spend in the $250 - $275 range to meet my accomodations budget. I haven't seen any discount codes for April yet....has anyone else? My travel dates are 4/28 - 5/4.

If you really want to try onsite and are willing to spend that much per night, why not consider 2 rooms at an All Star Resort? That way you still have a suite - sort of.

I believe I read that if it is 2 rooms with minor children Disney will guarantee an adjoining room.

Try these resorts, with these rates:

Wilderness Lodge $229 standard $244 woods view
Animal Kingdom Lodge $239 standard
Contemporary $254 garden standard

Do you have AAA? you could join Disney club (worth it IMHO). You should get 10-15% off with these. But these are the rates that you are willing to pay.

You should book these, and then if discounts come out, you could save a lot of money and use it on other things in the parks.

Good luck.

For your 6 night stay, I think that 2 rooms at the All Stars would be your best best. You would spend about $200 a night and have ample room with 2 TVs and bathrooms. Plus you won't have the hassle of moving in the middle of your trip. And at your kids' ages, I think they would really enjoy the theming of the All Stars. Plus there is the added benefit of Disney transportation, and being able to go back to the room for a midday nap or swim.

That price falls within your budget (if I did my math correctly ;) ) You are planning to pay $125 for the first 3 nights and $250-275 for the last three, which comes out to $1125-$1200 whereas 6 nights with two rooms at the All stars is also $1200.

My .02 is to do the All Stars your entire trip

HIFS should be a good place to start, and if you are sure of your budget for a couple of nights on-site (which I'm sure your children in particular will enjoy), why not check out Dreams Unlimited Travel as they often have some of the best rates for Disney resorts. The Contemporary is a lot of fun for kids, but equally the All Stars has lots to amuse this age range, and at a lot less $$$ !

Last December, my family and I rented a three bedroom home very close to the Main gate. We booked the property through Families First and paid $89/nt.! This included a private pool, full kitchen, large living room, 2 bathrooms and a large master bedroom. The only drawback was no daily maid service unless you paid extra, although linens (bath towels, sheets, blankets) were provided. We really enjoyed it and the kids loved the pool. There are several companies that rent houses in Orlando. Since you're a night owl like me, I thought you might want to consider this option. With the separate bedrooms, you could put your kids to bed and stay up as late as you'd like without disturbing anyone. Hope this helps!

Hi, with 5 & 8 year olds my choice would be a Wilderness Cabin in Fort Wilderness hands down. You get a cabin which is really a park model mobile home. Living room with murphy bed, sofa & chairs. A full eat in kitchen with dishwasher that maids will load & run for you. A large bathroom and a bedroom with a full size bed & bunk beds. There is a TV & VCR in living room and another TV in the bed room. Each unit has a deck & grill outside. The whole campground is great for kids. It has a petting zoo, 2 pools, a Chip & Dale singalong with campfire each night. They also show Disney movies at night in a little drive in type theater. We just love the cabins & the space they offer you. The kitchen is great for breakfast and the confusion of everyone getting ready to go out to breakfast each morning. Another nice thing is if you are driving down each cabin has its own parking space right at your cabin. They also have golf cart rentals (about $40 a day) that you can use for transportation around the campground or just for a fun ride. There are also 2 pools with a laundrymat next to them, they are great for doing a little wash while the kids swim. Both the pools are heated. There is nothing like a relaxing boat ride back to the campground from the Magic Kingdom at night.

Fpr sox mogjts. I wouldn't like the hassle of moving.

Agree with the previous posters that said 2 rooms at allstars or l wilderness cabin. There is so much to do for little kids at wilderness.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter