Need tips for feet/legs

mkymouse4ever

DIS Veteran
I work all day on my feet and walking, but go to disney & its "cramping" lower legs / foot arch problems! We even do the treadmill build ups trying to prepare, and its the same thing. Have all kinds of teva's etc.. and even wear heel spur thing from podiatrist. Just can't seem to be comfortable and ache free all nite. Always feel like we did a marathon each day.

What do you recommend while on vacation, for all day walking and being able to do it the next day too?

Thanks, MKY:)

I don't know if this will work for your problem, but I have a bad knee and can prevent most of the pain by taking Advil regularly right from the start, before the pain starts. If your pain is caused by inflamation, it should work for you. It has to be the medicine that's in Advil or Motrin (I can't spell that long word ;)), not Tylenol.

This saved me!!!! If you have a hot tub at your resort, soak in that for 1/2 hr. each night before bed...if not, do what I did at the all star resorts...took a really hot bath and soaked for a good 20-30 min....even brought my own bubble bath! Never had a cramped foot or leg the whole trip! This felt awesome!!! And we were there for a week! I also drank a lot of water to minimize cramps. Heat for muscle cramping is the key!

kjs

To avoid cramps, I eat bananas. They are high in potassium, which I am told can help prevent muscle cramps.

You might ask your doctor before you go if he/she can recommend anything. Like the previous posters mentioned, taking ibuprofen will help because of its anti-inflammatory properties and low potassium is really linked to cramps. If you go during hot months or are prone to sweating, you can be sweating out that potassium faster than you are replacing it. Bananas are great for this -- lots of athletes do this, but your doctor may even recommend supplements.

The other thing that really helps is -- bring a spare pare of shoes and socks (that are already broken in). Change halfway through the day. Maybe you need something with a higher arch than Teva's all day? Swap out with something else halfway? I prefer Saucony and Skechers. Even if they are the same kind of shoes, they will be slightly worn in different places. Keeps pressure points in different areas. Made all the difference for me and my DH. We also keep face wipes to use to wipe down feet and calves when we change. Refreshing.

When you do stop during the day for food or just to rest, prop your feet up on another chair. You would be suprised how quickly that helps. Plan for sit down rides like Ellen's Universe of Energy, the Great Movie Ride, Tommorowland Transit Authority, etc. Spread them out so you don't exhaust yourself too early in the heat of the day.

The hot tub sounds heavenly! We always shower morning and night at Disney. Really relaxes you after tromping ALL over WorldShowcase. Don't do Epcot on a day you are already tired. If your trip allows, take a day or a half day off from the parks to hang out and swim. Try Epcot the next day. We forget how big it is until my DH sends me back and forth between Voices of Liberty and OffKilter performances all day!

Have fun!

You don't describe the lower leg cramps, but it's possible you're getting shin splints, if the pain is in the front of the lower leg. Even if this is not where you are cramping, there is an excellent exercise you should do every day between now and your trip:

Sit up straight in a chair with your knees bent at a 90 degree angle and your feet flat on the floor. Press your heels to the floor and lift up your toes. You'll feel it in your shins. Do as many of these as you can until it hurts too badly. I recommend doing it three times a day, while sitting at the computer or at work.

It doesn't look like much, and it hurts like heck, but one month of doing these exercises every day will work wonders for your walking stamina, I guarantee it.

On Johnny Carson one night Danny Thomas told how he was almost crippled by Charlie horse type cramps at night,he went from Dr to Dr nothing worked till one Dr. told him at the First pain of the cramp,to lift his toes as far up toward his Knee as he could and hold that postition till the Cramp was gone. If it starts again,then repeat lift his toes as far up toward his Knee as he could and hold that postition till the Cramp was gone. For me this has help to lessen how often I get leg cramps.

I have a disease that causes me to loss potassium so I have used the "lifted toes to knee" often,and it works!! I eat a lot of bananas too,they do replace potassium as does canned tuna fish,one of my favorite foods!

Try it!!

Disnee Dad Says....................Start with shoes that are a month old, by that time they are fully broken in and still yield maximum support. Go with the advil, but start a week before you go. I wish I could quote the study, but I can't. It had something to do with hikers, and advil/ ibuprofen, I hope they are the same. It said starting a week before "the event", gave far BETTER results.

First of all, you should wear orthopedic shoes if those cramps are a regular occurence. Rockport makes great walking shoes. Also Aveda makes a foot lotion that moisturizes and relieves pain. For your legs, I would suggest sportscreme... hey, it works for me!!

That is called plantar fasica.(not sure about the spelling) What is happening is your tendon that runs from your ball of your foot up the back of your leg tightens up from all the standing and walking. To help releeve the pressure on the tendon you need to stretch during the day. This is very easily done without everybody knowing what you are doing. If you are near a curb and sometimes you can use the 'mini' curb that they have to separate the queues, put your toes on the top and your heels stay on the ground. Lean into your toes you will feel that stretch in your calf. Do one foot at a time. If you are going up a ramp this is wonderful, lean to the top or if you are going down, turn around to talk to your party behind you and lean! If you can find a step, stand on the step with your heels hanging over the edge about 2 to 3 inches, try to lower your heels to the ground or the step below. Alot of these can be done in line, standing watching parades, etc. When you stop and sit down, do foot excersises by rotating your foot each way for 20 circles.

I work in a jr/sr high school and walk and stand all day on concret. Just like what happens to people at WDW, the doctor gave me these excersises and it has really helped. The physical therapists at my school also agree with these excersises.

Be sure to buy a good pair of walking or running shoes every 6 months too.

Good Luck

IF your foot is hurting on the bottom...B/T the heel and ball...it could be plantar fasciaitis...I have had this off and on...it is common for people who stand a lot...I am a nurse...so have dealt with it several times. The recommended things are the inserts, but be sure they are firm, not the gel ones which "give" with your foot...you want support, not cushioning. Also, take a frozen can/bottle of water and roll your foot on it for 15 minutes everynight. Have you ever tried Saucany shoes?...the bottom is made from recycled tires...great support...I can tell a big difference when I don't where them...my feet hurt...there are cheaper and more expensive ones...you get what you pay for when it comes to shoes. The NIKE AIR shoes are very bad for you feet...avoid them. When buying shoes and looking at the thick rubber sole...the darker the color (navy, dark gray, black)==more support...the lighter the color (white, light grey)==little support.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter