Need to decide today- help with hotel

Kebby

DIS Veteran
I have many hotels booked as I can’t chose. I need to decide today. Help me!

3 kids, 2 adults. 2.5 days at the park

1. Grand Cali. Most expensive, but also convenient. Would use EMH both mornings

2. Courtyard theme park- next most expensive. Not as convenient but suppose to be nice. Would do parks opposite of EMH

3. Hyatt house/ looks nice and cheaper. Also would do opposite of EMH

5. Residence inn - looks very nice, separate bedrooms is a bonus. Would do opposite of EMH

Help!

Is this your first visit? Ages of kids? What are your dates? Would you be visiting after SWGE opens? If you can afford to stay on site, then I would go with the GCH. For such a short trip, the extra convenience of being on site and the EMH can really help. The other properties are nice, too, but might work better for a longer stay.

All of the hotels you picked are good choices. You need to tell us a little bit more of what your priorities are to help us help you. Are you wanting to be as close as possible? Do you want free breakfast included? Are you on a budget? When is your trip?

I always vote to stay on property. If you can afford the Grand CA, do it. You will love it. Depending on the age of your kids, Disneyland Hotel might be better though.
You'll get more space, basically more for your money at an off property hotel, but it's off property. For me, that's a huge downside.

So, based on what you are willing to spend is what will help you make your choice. Remember, you get nothing (and I mean NOTHING) extra with a Disney room. You get the room. Maybe a couple of Fastpasses depending on the promotion they have going at the time.

If cost is no concern, then go all the way with the Disney GC Resort. Nothing beats walking downstairs and out into the DCA park and the 5 minute walk to the DL entrance.

If cost is a concern, I would suggest either Hyatt House or Residence Inn Anaheim Convention Center. I like the walking distance to the Disneyland Entrance, huge suites and free Breakfast.

I vote GCH, but agree that more details would be useful. I LOVE staying onsite, and think it's worth the splurge.

I had alway been an off-property person in the past, but having done GCH this last trip, if it isn't too much of a financial strain I would vote for it. Besides being very nice, the convenience of it is off the charts. For instance when we were there we were having very chilly nights and because of where we were it was easy for us to just pop in and grab a few blankets before going to World of Color. We have always wanted to do DLH (which we will still do someday) but man the location of GCH makes it really hard to beat, IMO.

we have a Marriott gig so biased - but we've stayed at both courtyard and RI and both are awesome for kids in different ways (we have 4 under 7.)

1. Courtyard - kids loved water park, each room has bunk beds and tons of useful space...we had plenty of space for large stroller, bags, etc. Everyone had a bed instead of shoving 3 kids on a sofa bed. super close walk (closer than DL hotel IMO.)

2. RI - only a couple years old, awesome to have your own room as parents, we tend to bring lots of snacks for our kids so we really like having a full kitchen to store water bottles, fruit, cheese, milk, all that stuff. FREE BREAKFAST. We make our kids eat a lot so we only pay for one meal in the parks. With all the kids, it's still only a 12-14 min walk which we don't mind.

Our rooms are like in the ballpark of $50/night so staying on property will never be worth it for us - your choice probably depends on price differential also. I really like both of these hotels though.

Is this your first visit? Ages of kids? What are your dates? Would you be visiting after SWGE opens? If you can afford to stay on site, then I would go with the GCH. For such a short trip, the extra convenience of being on site and the EMH can really help. The other properties are nice, too, but might work better for a longer stay.

Kids are 13,8 and 6
Dates are April 8-11

Arrive at 11 am the 8th, so half day this day then 2 full days

All of the hotels you picked are good choices. You need to tell us a little bit more of what your priorities are to help us help you. Are you wanting to be as close as possible? Do you want free breakfast included? Are you on a budget? When is your trip?
I would like to be within 10-15 min
We are really spoiled as we are dvc and have never stayed offsite at wdw.( out of points though so grand would be cash)
Free b fast nice, but will only use it once as we have b fast at plaza inn the other day
Sort of budget- we fly to aulani after
Trip is April 8-11

Kids are 13,8 and 6...
I'm a fan of GCH, however be aware:
  • You likely will want a room with 2 queen beds and a day bed, but there is no guarantee you will get one.
  • You might get a room with 2 queen beds and a sofa (loveseat size, non-foldout). One of your kids could sleep on the sofa, but not very comfortable.
  • Most rooms have a shower without a tub, but there is a handheld shower head.

I love GCH, the rooms feel small and it might be tight with 3 kids.

Do plan to tour parks Commando Style or spend some time in the room?

I loved Courtyard Marriott with my 3 kids - so much room! But it is a longer walk.

You'll have fun no matter what! No wrong answer here.

And Aulani :yay:

As previous posters have said, there really is no wrong answer among your choices. It comes down to whichever hotel fits your family's needs and your budget the best. But, when our kids were in that age range, the GCH was great for repeat (!) rides on GRR, then a short walk back to the hotel room to change into dry clothes -- then back to the parks!

I have 3 kids as well, so we stay as a family of 5. I would absolutely choose GCH. The size of the room is fine, and it's configured pretty well for everyone getting ready in the morning. You'll find the common areas of the hotel are amazing, which to me is better than a bigger room. Best of all, as others have said, it's an unbeatable location and so much nicer than staying on Harbor IMO. I will add that I always stay on site, usually at GCH, if I can.

We are really spoiled as we are dvc and have never stayed offsite at wdw.( out of points though so grand would be cash)
Free b fast nice, but will only use it once as we have b fast at plaza inn the other day
Trip is April 8-11
One thing to note, as far as location a good number of off site hotels are more convenient to the parks than a lot of the on-site WDW hotels.

Honestly, I'm not sure the Grand Californian is worth the cost. Yes, it's nice to be right inside DCA. I don't think I would go back.

With a family of 5, you would be very comfortable at the Hyatt House. They have large rooms with pull out couches. Plus, they have a very good free breakfast, pool, and hot tub. It's a short walk to the parks.

I can't speak to the other hotels on your list as I have not stayed there.

Have a magical time!

Trip is April 8-11

All of the hotels you picked are within a 10-15 minute walk. The Residence Inn and Hyatt House will give you the most space. I’ve stayed at The Grand, Courtyard Marriott, and the Residence Inn. They are all great! You really can’t go wrong. The Grand is my first choice but ONLY if it’s in your budget. I prefer to stay on-site on longer trips where I have time to enjoy the hotel. The Courtyard Marriott is really nice with large rooms and 2 showers in each room! Sinks are outside of the bathroom area which is so nice when multiple people are getting ready. Customer service is excellent at this Marriott. I was really impressed.

The Residence Inn is new, modern and offers a great breakfast. I’m assuming you’ll have a suite here. It is the farthest of your hotels tho so it’ll be pushing your walk closer to 15 minutes.

Ive never stayed at The Hyatt House but it looks great and gets good reviews. Free breakfast and a larger room are big pluses. I’m estimating it’s about a 10-12 minute walk.

You don’t mention the price difference of the 3 off site hotels. If the Courtyard is quite a bit more than the Residence Inn or Hyatt I’d probably go with the RI or Hyatt.

You’ve picked great hotels you just have to figure out what your priority is.

No Budget=Grand Californian
Next closest hotel & 2 showers/2 sinks=Courtyard Marriott
Free Breakfast=Hyatt or Residence Inn

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter