Neighbors.....are you kidding me??

We're not allowed to have privacy fences in our neighborhood. They have to be the black metal ones that afford no privacy sadly. And of course they would put that trampoline right by your hot tub!

That must be annoying though to have a privacy fence and then see people over the top of it like you have it. Yes the noise is just annoying. And for whatever reason the girls like to go on it during light rain or after it has just rained...it's a weird sound but it's still very annoying.

Here's what our situation looks like. The greenery you see right in front of the trampoline (i.e. the tree and the bush) are technically on our property line. Those 3 windows you see are actually our kitchenette bumpout-to the right of those windows is our great room windows. I took this pic just after we moved in:
View attachment 261205

This is the only pic I really have that I can find of where the great room windows are. It's from when the house was being built. Those 3 windows again are the kitchenette bumpout and the 4 windows are where the great room is--which is fairly close to the tampoline:
View attachment 261208
I'm from the West, the whole idea of no privacy fence is just so foreign to me. Our neighborhood here in Texas is a mix, some have fences, others do not, I do, I couldn't stand it any other way. I feel insecure in my home without a good solid 6' fence.
Perhaps the area where they put the trampoline is either the flattest or it affords the parents a view so they can keep an eye on the kids since there are no fences? Just a thought

My neighbors always complain about the lack of street parking. They all have 2 or 3 cars per house. If you got rid of your cars our neighborhood really wouldn't have a parking problem. Do you really need more than 1 car per house?
At our peak, we had 5 people, 4 whom drove and 6 vehicles. Currently, we are down to 4 vehicles and once DD is licensed in the next month or two, we will have 3 drivers. I technicaly have 2 vehicles, my old Honda Odyssey mini van - its old with high miles but we keep it for when we need seating for a group, a large shopping run etc. My day car is now a little Honda Civic 5Sp, "Mom's G0-Cart". We park two in the driveway and scatter the rest on the street. Our neighborhood is heavily infested by families with teens/young adults - there are cars everywhere.

To me, the sounds of kids laughing and splashing and playing in the pool is comforting. Neighbors to our east, both on our side of the street and on the opposite side, have inflatable pools, and the kids have been playing in them all summer. I don't even notice it any more.
Neighbor behind us has a pool, the grand kids enjoy it all summer - the parents keep the screeching under control and I too enjoy the sounds of summer. Along about mid May, I generally say to DH - The kids are back.....pool is open!

Our nut of a neighbor cut his grass in the snow- I have pictures of that. Cut down tree on our property- yes he can cut branches on his side but not tree trunk clearly in our yard.

Turning point when he was throwing sticks in our yard over and over. Finally went to ask him not to and he ignored me. I'm not talking ones right on property line these were from middle of his yard. I call non emergency and officer came- there'd been other issues with him. They talked to him and later that week letter from attorney arrived. He'd gone saying our trees were dead and a danger to he and his wife. Also were killing trees in his yard.

Instead of getting attorney we hired certified arborist. He wrote report saying our trees weren't dead- very dry summer that year. Also our trees planted well before the ones he claimed were dying and that his had some illness. I wrote letter to attorney and enclosed report. Never heard a word.

Thankfully he moved a year later- everyone had issues with him. Tried to kill a neighbors dog, called police on kids next to us whose were having bonfire (his yard not even touching their yard)... no music or anything but it was way he was. Police yelled at him for shining light on them. He was mad at that. He had issue with someone else accidentally getting snow on driveway when they blew snow. Ran barefoot in neighborhood through goose poop....we don't miss him

"No Screaming" is one of our pool rules. Not just because it's super annoying, but because I'd never know if there was a real emergency or not. I don't want to be in a state of anxiety every time kids are in the pool. Normal chatter and play are fine; screaming is not.

I'm from the West, the whole idea of no privacy fence is just so foreign to me. Our neighborhood here in Texas is a mix, some have fences, others do not, I do, I couldn't stand it any other way. I feel insecure in my home without a good solid 6' fence.
It's aesthetics. They allowed wood fences (but no more than 48inches high) for just a few years along with the black metal looking ones. Then they admended the rules to only allow the black metal ones (again no more than 48inches high). The maintainence on the metal is a lot lot lot less. The neighborhood that is right by ours allows wood but doesn't have much rules on them....it's a jumble of different kinds, diffferent heights (though none are privacy), different stains, some new, some in dire need of replacement, etc....it doesn't look very good. Privacy fences are not generally common around me. There are places that have them for sure but you'll find less and less places allowing them.

Perhaps the area where they put the trampoline is either the flattest or it affords the parents a view so they can keep an eye on the kids since there are no fences? Just a thought
They know the rules though on where the trampoline is supposed to be-meaning not visible from the street. Where it's at is actually away from the best line of sight because if it was in the back of their house they could see it from the windows that are on the back of the house. I believe they most likely did it because it wouldn't be in the way of mowing the grass like it would have been if they had put it in the middle of their yard. They have an entire playset (wooden as required) at the back of their property. Their yard is more level than ours.

Here's a google earth of their house. The black dot is approximately where the trampoline is:
upload_2017-8-13_12-57-6.png

Here's a streetview of their house:
upload_2017-8-13_13-2-50.png

But I'm not sure what you mean by since their are no fences? I mean they can put the fence in they just haven't done so.

Moved in to a building that's marketed as a luxury apartment, but our fellow residents are going to be driving me back to the "less desirable" town we moved from when the lease is up. They're pigs, leave trash in the halls and the elevators and parking garage, don't clean up their own messes if a trash bag rips on the way to the chute (double bag when it's cat litter, people), drive through the parking garage at 40mph and tear around the blind corners without stopping. God forbid you try to drive at a more sane speed in the garage, they'll tailgate you all the way. Angry guy in a beemer whacked the crap out of my door with his.

The units are nice, but the common areas/interior hallways are like staying in a Days Inn near the airport. The leasing staff can't keep up with the mess. I haven't dealt with this adolescent sort of entitlement before. How do people move into a 'nice' apartment and then think it's okay to leave trash in the elevators?

I've watched a few episodes of NEIGHBORS from H***. I have one of "those" neighbors too. (many persons, loud, trash all over, lazy. But I am never going to complain about them to an authority. I have a feeling THAT would be an even bigger nightmare.

Got new neighbors three months ago. So far there are three unregistered (junk) vehicles to date.

Debating if I should look up one of the "anti-HOA" threads we occasionally have around here. MANY of the problems listed here are WHY people are ok with HOAs.

:mad:Pretty sure my kitty corner neighbor is dealing. Cars come and go quite a bit and they never are there longer than 5 minutes. He also is great with the ladies, each one lasts about 6-9 months and ends with a screaming match in the front yard. Usually complete with clothing and belongings flying out the front door too.

:mad:Pretty sure my kitty corner neighbor is dealing. Cars come and go quite a bit and they never are there longer than 5 minutes. He also is great with the ladies, each one lasts about 6-9 months and ends with a screaming match in the front yard. Usually complete with clothing and belongings flying out the front door too.

Free entertainment. :rotfl:

Geezzee where to even begin ?

We had one set of neighbors that lived directly behind us that spoke to us maybe twice in the 8 years we lived there, no reason why. We'd see them talking and walking with other neighbors all around us, but for some reason only spoke to us when A- their tree removal contractor lost control of a tree they were having removed and it knocked down two sections of our privacy fence and B- one time the power was out and he asked the kids how long it had been out.

The wonderful family across the street had to move out of town, they were just really great people. Super easy to get along with, kept their house up, were polite and nice and caring, but not nosey or busybodies. They tried for a good long time to sell the house, but it just didn't sell and they had to turn it to a rental.
Renter A - a deranged family of multiple layers...the mother who claims she was a court reporter was a significant chain smoker who has her office set up in the garage and worked until 3 or 4am, with the garage open and bright light on, never ever ever paid attention to her kids, other than screaming at them for even being present, the kids would run up and down the street all day, wearing the same clothes for day and day, would beg for snacks or to come inside and play. My kids couldn't take it anymore, they could never play outside without getting bombarded by these kids. She would constantly have all kinds of people/cars in,out,in,out, but she herself very rarely ever left the house. Her oldest child was middle school aged and was some level of special needs who rode the regular bus with my daughter, one day he wasn't on the bus, before my child could get half way from the bus to our home the neighbor went charging up to her screaming at her "wheres my son !, why isn't he on the bus, where is he !" I had to make a beeline for the mom to cool her jets and stop screaming at my daughter, that she should be calling the school, not screaming at my kid in the middle of the road. Then one time they set up a pretty large soft sided swimming pool, which are not allowed by our HOA. Homeowner tells her to take it down, so she moves it into the garage ! Fills it back up full and within a week one of the kids wrecks it, knocks the side over and floods the garage, thank goodness our garages were poured with 3 foot cement forms for the footings. Worst of all they had a poor poor dog they did not take care of. Well, they did at first, but within a few weeks, they had him tied up all the time, also not allowed by HOA, then it progressed to the point where she had him tied to a tree on the side of the garage all the time, then the dog started getting aggressive (not his fault) because it was tied up all the time, the poor dog dug a huge pit on the side that it laid in. When they would feed it, they would just dump a bag of dry kibble in the sand pit, but then it would rain and bloat up and would stink to high heavens and swarms of flys. I had to call animal control 3 times over several weeks and they finally took the dog.

Renter B - we thought they would be better since the home owners personally knew the renters. what a dog & pony show those people were. again, seemed normal at first, until we found out the husband had done prison time. He had a son from a previous marriage, that he had on weekends. well I should say that loosely, because any time he was at his dads house, he was actually at ours. He would come over at 9am and want to stay for hours and hours and his dad couldn't give two hoots about it. There were several times where we would have to be walking him back home at 9:30-10pm at night because he just would not leave. We'd be knocking on the door for him to go inside the house, you'd hear the door unlock but no adult open it, he'd just walk in and shut the door. One time they had left the house, and left the screen door propped open and they front door wide open. I thought maybe they'd be right back, hours later it's still open and their dog is running up and down the street. I call the non-emergency police, hoping nothings wrong, or somebody hurt. They come about an hour later, check all over the house, no sign of anyone, it's been pouring rain for hours, the police find the dog, put him in the house, and lock the handle and shut the door. We did not see a single person or car for 2 more days, which means the dog was locked inside the house alone for two days. Then the husband and wife had a huge blow out fight, where the husband of the house to the right came over to confront him that he had been sexting his wife ! Husband of house one to the left intervenes (he's LEO, calls for back up) Husband of rental house goes psycho and takes his wedding ring off, throws it in the retention pond behind house, then locks himself in bathroom, swallows a bottle of pills, by time Police get there, they have an ambulance on the way as well, get him out of the house and pump his stomach on the front lawn......they separated for awhile, but got back together and she got knocked up and they now have a baby. Homeowner had to evict them

Geezzee where to even begin ?

We had one set of neighbors that lived directly behind us that spoke to us maybe twice in the 8 years we lived there, no reason why. We'd see them talking and walking with other neighbors all around us, but for some reason only spoke to us when A- their tree removal contractor lost control of a tree they were having removed and it knocked down two sections of our privacy fence and B- one time the power was out and he asked the kids how long it had been out.

The wonderful family across the street had to move out of town, they were just really great people. Super easy to get along with, kept their house up, were polite and nice and caring, but not nosey or busybodies. They tried for a good long time to sell the house, but it just didn't sell and they had to turn it to a rental.
Renter A - a deranged family of multiple layers...the mother who claims she was a court reporter was a significant chain smoker who has her office set up in the garage and worked until 3 or 4am, with the garage open and bright light on, never ever ever paid attention to her kids, other than screaming at them for even being present, the kids would run up and down the street all day, wearing the same clothes for day and day, would beg for snacks or to come inside and play. My kids couldn't take it anymore, they could never play outside without getting bombarded by these kids. She would constantly have all kinds of people/cars in,out,in,out, but she herself very rarely ever left the house. Her oldest child was middle school aged and was some level of special needs who rode the regular bus with my daughter, one day he wasn't on the bus, before my child could get half way from the bus to our home the neighbor went charging up to her screaming at her "wheres my son !, why isn't he on the bus, where is he !" I had to make a beeline for the mom to cool her jets and stop screaming at my daughter, that she should be calling the school, not screaming at my kid in the middle of the road. Then one time they set up a pretty large soft sided swimming pool, which are not allowed by our HOA. Homeowner tells her to take it down, so she moves it into the garage ! Fills it back up full and within a week one of the kids wrecks it, knocks the side over and floods the garage, thank goodness our garages were poured with 3 foot cement forms for the footings. Worst of all they had a poor poor dog they did not take care of. Well, they did at first, but within a few weeks, they had him tied up all the time, also not allowed by HOA, then it progressed to the point where she had him tied to a tree on the side of the garage all the time, then the dog started getting aggressive (not his fault) because it was tied up all the time, the poor dog dug a huge pit on the side that it laid in. When they would feed it, they would just dump a bag of dry kibble in the sand pit, but then it would rain and bloat up and would stink to high heavens and swarms of flys. I had to call animal control 3 times over several weeks and they finally took the dog.

Renter B - we thought they would be better since the home owners personally knew the renters. what a dog & pony show those people were. again, seemed normal at first, until we found out the husband had done prison time. He had a son from a previous marriage, that he had on weekends. well I should say that loosely, because any time he was at his dads house, he was actually at ours. He would come over at 9am and want to stay for hours and hours and his dad couldn't give two hoots about it. There were several times where we would have to be walking him back home at 9:30-10pm at night because he just would not leave. We'd be knocking on the door for him to go inside the house, you'd hear the door unlock but no adult open it, he'd just walk in and shut the door. One time they had left the house, and left the screen door propped open and they front door wide open. I thought maybe they'd be right back, hours later it's still open and their dog is running up and down the street. I call the non-emergency police, hoping nothings wrong, or somebody hurt. They come about an hour later, check all over the house, no sign of anyone, it's been pouring rain for hours, the police find the dog, put him in the house, and lock the handle and shut the door. We did not see a single person or car for 2 more days, which means the dog was locked inside the house alone for two days. Then the husband and wife had a huge blow out fight, where the husband of the house to the right came over to confront him that he had been sexting his wife ! Husband of house one to the left intervenes (he's LEO, calls for back up) Husband of rental house goes psycho and takes his wedding ring off, throws it in the retention pond behind house, then locks himself in bathroom, swallows a bottle of pills, by time Police get there, they have an ambulance on the way as well, get him out of the house and pump his stomach on the front lawn......they separated for awhile, but got back together and she got knocked up and they now have a baby. Homeowner had to evict them

The house diagonally behind mine thought they were going to get renters in there but nope- that was not going to happen- they had an illegal downstairs apartment that they were going to use- town must have gotten a dozen calls as soon as they had someone move in there- no sooner than they had unpacked they had to repack and leave. Across the street they wanted to put a dormer on and make it a 2 family home and rent the top out- again nope....they sent the cards out to everyone within a certain distance and anyone with objections could notify the town...to many objections and it was a NO to the renters. We had one whole house that was a rental at one time and they had so many calls to the police about loud parties, open flames in the backyard etc that eventually the owner made them leave and sold the house.

Yep!

My daughter came and grabbed me from the kitchen last week. I guess it sounded like the show was about to start. I got settled on the couch and they hopped in his truck and drove away. So disappointed. :joker:
We have neighbors who fight a lot. One of my husband's coworkers lives across the street from us. We always message one another to see what's going on. I watch from my enclosed front porch and I can see his blinds parted in his upstairs window. We always give a little wave too :rotfl:

I live on a very quiet cul-de-sac with great neighbors, except for one house! They have people coming and going all the time, including, on occasion at 3am, when a couple of them will come over and drink in the middle of the cul-de-sac, play basketball, and get into fights. Let me tell you, if you haven't been woken up by drunks playing basketball at 3am you haven't lived!!!!

They also have multiple small children living there, and they are constantly playing in the middle of the cul-de-sac, which is ok, we just drive very slowly, except that the 'adults' in charge seem to think that it is ok for these children to lie down and sit on the pavement, it is very difficult to see a small child sitting in the middle of the road, no matter how slowly one is driving. They also allow their children to ride their bikes and scooters around wildly, including in and out of the piles of yard waste that we have collected in neat piles along our roads, as that is how they are collected by the city, so all of that waste becomes strewn over the streets.

Do you live in my cul-de-sac? We have this too. Some of the kids that play in the street are really little, like 2 or 3 years old. It terrifies me.

If a neighbor has a pool, isn't there always at least one kid who screams bloody murder the whole time? Seems to be a rule rather than an exception. We have one behind us.

And the Seattle situation looks just like where my DD lives in Portland. If she can find a parking spot anywhere near her apartment building she leaves the car there as long as she can!

Do you live in my cul-de-sac? We have this too. Some of the kids that play in the street are really little, like 2 or 3 years old. It terrifies me.

If a neighbor has a pool, isn't there always at least one kid who screams bloody murder the whole time? Seems to be a rule rather than an exception. We have one behind us.

And the Seattle situation looks just like where my DD lives in Portland. If she can find a parking spot anywhere near her apartment building she leaves the car there as long as she can!

Yep we live on a cul-de-sac and it is terrifying, and neither the parents nor the grandparents seem to care at all when I have brought it up.

Thankfully we are the only house on the block with a pool, and we don't have kids. Pool time at my house involves floating with a book and a drink 99.9% of the time, it is a pretty quiet, peaceful, and relaxing activity.

I guess I'm the only one who doesn't care what my neighbors do. They mind their own business, I mind my own business. It's all good. I don't care what their yard looks like, I don't care how many cars they have or where they park them or how many parties they have. And they leave me alone, too.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter