Never made a solo trip. Pros and cons?

The autonomy is the best part, I think.

Pro - There aren’t many attractions with separate single-rider lines, but there are a few. These save loads of time waiting in line. Also, it’s easier to find a good viewing spot for parades and fireworks when you’re solo, you can squeeze in.

Con - Feeling lonely seeing all the groups and couples sharing the happiest place on Earth together. Loneliness can be magnified when being nearly surrounded by togetherness.

I love doing trips with friends where we tour separately half the time, and together the other half. That way I get to do whatever the heck I want for half the day, and then meet up with friends for a sit down meal or other things that everyone enjoys. Also, sharing the expense of the room is a huge savings.

I’ve done 4 solo trips. Loved them all! The only “con” for me is that resort prices keep climbing, and solo trips may no longer be within my budget. :(
I hear ya. I'm even researching staying off-site because of that. But I don't wanna!!!!

Con - Feeling lonely seeing all the groups and couples sharing the happiest place on Earth together. Loneliness can be magnified when being nearly surrounded by togetherness.
Of course it totally depends on the person/traveller. I LOVE my solo trips. I go to disney to get away from everyone and everything and life in general. I just wanna enjoy myself ALONE. So when im alone in a crowd watching HEA, I dont feel lonely. The only thing running through my mind is "aaaaah, peace at last". :laughing: Not everyone feels lonely.

OP, solo trips are truly the best. You do whatever you want, whenever you want. You really should just bite the bullet one day and see how you like it. If you dont like it, you dont have to do it again. But you should try at least once.

Pros - everything! It's a trip to have fun!

Cons - sure - on rare occasions I wish I had family or friends around. But - I do know they are there for me - just not with me at the moment - so I can usually get over that feeling pretty quick.

One thing I've really enjoyed being a solo is being a "helper" to others. I remember one day, a little boy was telling Mommy "I have to go to the bathroom NOW" and she was looking around frantically. I went over and pointed out the nearest restroom, and everyone felt better.

I also like to help. Since I do a lot of people watching (even when I'm not traveling solo) - I like to help when I can. As I entered MK - a mom asked her son "Do you know my phone number?" He said, no and she started to tell her group she was worried what to do if they got split up. I offered a Sharpie if she wanted to write it on his hand, and she did. She was very thankful.

Agree with PPs, the only real con for me is the paying premium for resort room for being solo. Other than that, everything else is great--can plan your own schedule, come and go as you please, eat when it's convenient for you, go on all the rides you want, etc., etc., etc.

Agree with PPs, the only real con for me is the paying premium for resort room for being solo. Other than that, everything else is great--can plan your own schedule, come and go as you please, eat when it's convenient for you, go on all the rides you want, etc., etc., etc.

Paying for the hotel room does not bother me. After all, you still get the use of the whole room. Now paying double occupancy on a cruise ship, I hate.

I've done family trips and a 5-day solo trip. I've enjoyed them both but really liked the solo trip - for all the same reasons others have written about. The only thing I didn't like is I overdid it. There was no one with me to suggest breaks, or who wanted to ride something I didn't, so I had to wait for them (and rest), or enjoy a leisurely dinner with I was so exhausted by the end of the trip I had to rent a scooter to get around Epcot.

I'm now moving to Kissimmee, FL in a few months. I'm looking forward to visiting the parks whenever I want even though I'll be solo. The chance to see all the nooks and crannies and shows and shopping and food that there never is enough time to see, do, eat when on vacation, is exciting. I plan to visit as often as I can even if I'm doing it solo.

the expense tends to be the biggest con.

most people are worried about what other people think - remember, no one else is usually paying attention to you. theyre on vacation! and no one knows why youre alone! think of all the times youre with a group that someone stays behind while the group goes on a ride, so they sit and have a meal, or a snack. or goes on a ride. theyre alone then. its no different! its the mental idea that they KNOW they arent alone. thats the hurdle to get past :)

everyone else has pointed out the pros of being alone. i love the independence. :)

But on cruise ships, the price is not just for the room, it’s also for meals. IMO, they should at least give solos a break, since they only eat one dinner, not 2.

Exactly, since I am paying for 2 people when I cruise then I try my hardest to eat for 2. LOL

Exactly, since I am paying for 2 people when I cruise then I try my hardest to eat for 2. LOL

fair point! i always figured its because im not drinking/gambling/excursion spending for two - or at least they assume. because i do! but youre right, im not eating for two.

fair point! i always figured its because im not drinking/gambling/excursion spending for two - or at least they assume. because i do! but youre right, im not eating for two.

Well jokes on them because even when I go with my girls we do not do excursions or drink. We do gamble(bingo) LOL.

Pro's the number one thing is being able to do what you want. Eat where you like and ride what you want and sleep in and so on.

Cons- there will be times you feel lonely but overall I think in the end you will be fine. Plus I always make friends on trips, it's Disney there is a friendly community there.

Go for it! You'll love it. You can really spend the time to enjoy the park itself (not necessarily just the rides). Take in the sights and sounds that so many take for granted.

My last 3 trips to WDW were solo trips and I was there a week each time. Loved it!
The cons are when you tell people you are going by yourself they 100% think it is the kiss of death. They won't say it that way but that's how they act. I went to Las Vegas in Sept. and somebody said to me I;m glad you had a good time even though you went by yourself. And people will always, always ask you, who you going with. The pros are you get to do everything you want when you want. Nobody gets on your nerves or complains about something or about you, you can do exactly what you want in your room, get up early, stay up late and watch TV, take a long bath, you don't hear anybody snore or make any noise when you are trying to sleep, nobody has too much air on, etc...

I enjoyed reading all the responses to this thread, as I am starting to plan my first solo trip for January 2020.

I just had an absolutely wonderful 8-night trip, staying at POR, with my daughter earlier this month and I’ve done several trips with DH, one with my dear Mom a few years ago, and a larger family trip. I have always thought about doing a solo trip, and I’m 61 now so think it’s time to do it!

I’m trying to decide if I want to stay at POR again or try a different moderate. I’m thinking a 10-night trip as I want plenty of time for the parks, plus downtime at the resort, maybe a day of checking out a few other resorts too.

I am comfortable with being alone, and never mind eating alone either. I think it will be fun doing things whenever I want to and not having to worry about anyone but myself.

It’s over a year away and I’m already getting excited about it! :)

Best pro= not being the family pack mule and back in the day having to keep track of everyone's tickets/fast passes. Spent a lot of time getting snacks, camera, tickets, extra from the backpack. I used my solo trips to do tours that would just be too expensive for the whole family. I'm not much for rides so I would spend a lot of time waiting at the exit for family. Last solo trip, I did not even ride anything other than the tours. I had time to see the shows, Dapper Dans, animal watching at AK trails, stuff family did not want to spend much time at the expense of rides.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter