Never rented a car before, but....

chirurgeon

I am a delicate flower and need my sleep.
I have been considering renting a car for my next trip. I have used Mears the first time (never again). Town car the second time (loved it) and ME the last 2 times. The only time I had a car was when I was in Tampa for business for 2 weeks and drove to the World for the middle weekend. I drove to All Star Sports and just parked the car and used Disney Transportation for the weekend.

My main concern with a car is finding my way around. And on vacation I like the idea of someone else doing the driving. However, on my last trip at the end of the day, it would have been nice not to stand in line waiting for a bus. I'll have an annual pass so I won't have to worry about paying for parking at the parks. How easy is it to navigate around property when a person isn't familiar with it?

Opinions?

TIA

Kim

Navigating WDW is pretty easy. We have been doing it with a rental car for many years. For the past few years the routes have not changed too much and the signage is pretty good although they usually direct the tourists by longer routes to avoid the buses as much as possible.

We use Disney transportation, but like to have a car to go from resort to resort for the dining options. :)

I dont think you will have a problem.

I am not the best with directions (yes a male has admitted this) and I found my way around without to much issues.

We find it very easy to follow the signs, you don't even have to look at a map. Everything is very clearly marked. Once you are in the world, you get Disney's attention to detail, from the beautiful landscaping along the roads to the colorful signs, it is nothing like driving on the 'real' roads.

My hubbie works for hertz. let me know if you need me to check a discount code for ya

Thanks for all the replies. I will definately keep a rental in mind. Now I just have to wait until December to go. Too long.;)

Kim

Thanks for all the replies. I will definately keep a rental in mind. Now I just have to wait until December to go. Too long.;)

Kim

If you are going in December a car makes it possible to visit all the resorts to see the various Christmas decorations. It is one of our favorite things to do at that time of year. :goodvibes

Doing it on the Disney transportation works, but it takes too much time. :(

I dont think you will have a problem.

I am not the best with directions (yes a male has admitted this) and I found my way around without to much issues.

Blasphemy!!! drakethib is clearly not thinking properly! Everyone rest assured....men are always good with directions! As long as there is gas in the tank we are never lost!:thumbsup2

P.S. WDW is very easy to navigate. We use a rental car every trip and love it.

Blasphemy!!! drakethib is clearly not thinking properly! Everyone rest assured....men are always good with directions! As long as there is gas in the tank we are never lost!:thumbsup2

P.S. WDW is very easy to navigate. We use a rental car every trip and love it.

Let me clear up Launch, I am not the best at giving directions to someone, but I ALWAYS KNOW WHERE I AM GOING.

Whew, moment of weakness there. :lmao:

That was a close call drakethib. I was just about to report you to the "Man Law Bureau!" And a serious violation it would have been!! Thanks for clearing this matter up!:thumbsup2

Renting a car is a must if you are going to the water parks. My sister waited 50 minutes for the one going to BB from the Swan and Dolphin.

Years ago I waited 45 minutes going to TL from GF which then went and parked for 1/2 hour over at Downtown Disney before going to TL.

If my DH has the car and I'll pay for a taxi.

I always rent a car. I reserve a car with Alamo online. You can even check in online. Then when we land in Orlando we just walk across the street to the parking garage where all the rental cars are and just go to the row with the class of car(compact,midsize, SUV, whatever) I rent from Alamo and get in it and drive it to the booth on the way out where they check all your paperwork and license info and I'm on my way.
At the booth they'll give you directions but I have VZ Navigator on my phone so I use that.
As far as getting around the Disney area, if you're staying on property when you check in your welcome package will have a pamphlet with a very helpful map of the area. Leaving the resort isn't usually a problem. There is usually a sign right outside the entrance that will say to all Theme Parks. Coming back, it helps to know what you're resort is near. For example, Yacht/Beach Club, Boardwalk are considered Epcot resorts so you would look for signs that say Epcot resort area, then signs for the specific resort. Just keep that map in the car with you. It's not that hard. And it beats waiting for a bus.

That's exactly what we do-rent online from Alamo, prepay, and then just drive away from the Alamo airport lot. And it sure does beat waiting for a bus--or finding SRO when the bus does arrive.
And driving is relatively easy at WDW. One thing to remember tho is when a Disney sign says "next right" it means exactly that!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter