NEW 15th DVC hotel~ Riviera Resort/ Gondola~ Will there be air conditioning debate

I don't know if the cars will be air conditioned or not or the capacity of them. I have to believe that Disney had done their due diligence on this project and assume they have made the right decisions on each of these items. It is a large investment on their part and to not work effectively. I suspect they have been working on it for a long time which also sheds light on the time they have been planning on this new DVC Resort as the route was selected to serve the Riviera Resort. I wonder how many other DVC resorts are in early stages of planning. One last item, we all expect that the Gondola to be part of the WDW Transportation system meaning no cost, right?

Did I read somewhere that the evacuation requirement was 12 minutes? That's not going to happen

Any other details on the resort, amenities, rooms, pool(s), themeing? Since they've started construction, you'd think (at least via the rumour mill) there would be some more info out there.

Question - I'm not familiar with the area where construction is now happening ... do we believe (or know) if there will be boats running from the Riviera to Disney's Hollywood Studios and Epcot as well as the gondolas? .... like at Boardwalk??? Thanks!

We're one of those families who would love to buy DVC at BW or BCV - but are wary due to the 24/25 year end of life ... hence the fascination with this potential option.

Last edited:
Any other details on the resort, amenities, rooms, pool(s), themeing? Since they've started construction, you'd think (at least via the rumour mill) there would be some more info out there.

Question - I'm not familiar with the area where construction is now happening ... do we believe (or know) if there will be boats running from the Riviera to Disney's Hollywood Studios and Epcot as well as the gondolas? .... like at Boardwalk??? Thanks!

We're one of those families who would love to buy DVC at BW or BCV - but are wary due to the 24/25 year end of life ... hence the fascination with this potential option.
Everything I have heard, including usually dead on sources -Jim Hill and Len Testa - says no boats. And no to a new walking path as well. Busses and Gondolas.

Everything I have heard, including usually dead on sources -Jim Hill and Len Testa - says no boats. And no to a new walking path as well. Busses and Gondolas.

Thanks for the info ... if true ... that's truly unfortunate IMO. Boardwalk resale is looking better and better.

I would be interested in more details regarding this resort too. there has to be something out there!

They really have not released any details beyond a rendering, and rendering isn't a real plan. I think they're still doing site prep.

Did I read somewhere that the evacuation requirement was 12 minutes? That's not going to happen
I read it too - maybe in the big gondola thread in rumors and news? I also googled it and found one of the gondola fan sites (who knew such a thing existed) was reporting that the gondola co. was promising 15 min. evacuation & Disney was pushing for 12 min.s. I suspect this type of info. will not be made public, tho'.

I read it too - maybe in the big gondola thread in rumors and news? I also googled it and found one of the gondola fan sites (who knew such a thing existed) was reporting that the gondola co. was promising 15 min. evacuation & Disney was pushing for 12 min.s. I suspect this type of info. will not be made public, tho'.
Based on those pictures on the web site of the guys freeing the passengers, they had to rope climb up to the gondola cables then get over to the cars then get the passengers in their harnesses then lower the passengers to the ground. They probably can get to the location in 12 minutes but get the passenger down in 12? I don't think so. Also, if one car fails, the entire line stops. How many cars on the line? 100? 200? I think 12 minutes is incorrect and I would not expect that. Heck, it takes them an hour to get people off the Small World ride (remember the handicapped guy who sued Disney for that?).

Based on those pictures on the web site of the guys freeing the passengers, they had to rope climb up to the gondola cables then get over to the cars then get the passengers in their harnesses then lower the passengers to the ground. They probably can get to the location in 12 minutes but get the passenger down in 12? I don't think so. Also, if one car fails, the entire line stops. How many cars on the line? 100? 200? I think 12 minutes is incorrect and I would not expect that. Heck, it takes them an hour to get people off the Small World ride (remember the handicapped guy who sued Disney for that?).
They can likely get many of the passengers down with the fire trucks

They can likely get many of the passengers down with the fire trucks
I would guess that the 12-15 minute timing is in a scenario where they have to switch to back up power and move all cabins into stations along the cables and evacuate by that method.
The unusual situation in Cologne where the cable was inoperable due to tangling w/ a second cable would not happen as Disney's system is only one cable, per reports. If a situation arose where the cable became inoperable then I think it would take far longer than 12 or 15 minutes to manually extract individual passengers from every cabin.

I would guess that the 12-15 minute timing is in a scenario where they have to switch to back up power and move all cabins into stations along the cables and evacuate by that method.
The unusual situation in Cologne where the cable was inoperable due to tangling w/ a second cable would not happen as Disney's system is only one cable, per reports. If a situation arose where the cable became inoperable then I think it would take far longer than 12 or 15 minutes to manually extract individual passengers from every cabin.
Good points. Regarding the fire trucks, the route would have to be accessible for trucks to get close enough to work. I'm not sure if that will be the case.

Resort layout courtesy of Martin @ wdwmagic:

16i5xsk.jpg

Looks similar to the below slide from the D23 presentation. Looks like the pool will be out on that little peninsula by the lake:

upload_2017-8-2_16-33-8.png

Last edited:
That's a cool blow up showing the resort and the gondola station. Certainly a different feel than you get from the rendering. The layout reminds me of the Boardwalk.

That's a cool blow up showing the resort and the gondola station. Certainly a different feel than you get from the rendering. The layout reminds me of the Boardwalk.
Oh no, let's hope it's not another resort w/ never ending halls!

Screen Shot 2017-08-03 at 4.31.26 PM.png That looks larger that the drawings picked up from the South Florida Water District Plans. Another wing is added on and three segments on the other end.

Last edited:
Not as large as the Boardwalk and there doesn't seem to be much correlation between the rendering and the footprint

Disney-Riviera-DVC-Resort.jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!