New 21-Year-Old from WA state: Drinks at DLR

Choirmom

Mouseketeer
We will be traveling to DLR in October. My daughter turns 21 a couple of weeks before we leave. She won't have the "Over 21" Drivers License from WA yet, but she does have an Enhanced DL and obviously her birth date will show that she's 21. Will she have any problems having an alcoholic beverage? She would be mortified if she was turned away.

I would take the couple weeks between bday and trip to get her the new license. Our licenses have always come in a week.

Disneyland can be very very strict, and even though the birthday will show it, if it's obvious an under 21 license they might not serve her.

If she had a passport instead of the enhanced DL it would be easier.

We will be traveling to DLR in October. My daughter turns 21 a couple of weeks before we leave. She won't have the "Over 21" Drivers License from WA yet, but she does have an Enhanced DL and obviously her birth date will show that she's 21. Will she have any problems having an alcoholic beverage? She would be mortified if she was turned away.
As long as she has a valid WA state ID/DL with her DOB, she should be fine.

I think as long as her DOB shows she's 21 it should be fine. In California we have a similar drivers license that has a little line showing '21 in 20XX' for those under 21 years old. While I never went to Disneyland right after I turned 21, I didn't have problems using my license at any of the places I did go. It would seem unreasonable for them to deny a valid drivers license that clearly states DOB.

She shouldn't have a problem if her license has her birth date on it and she is over 21.

YES! Based on a past posting they will not serve her if the license is not valid. Valid is the sticky spot- I take it the license expires on her birthday? I'd definitely bring a passport if it will affect her enjoyment of the trip (if she doesn't have one the website says processing takes 4-6 weeks after the appointment so she still has plenty of time to receive it before your trip & it will be valid for the next 10 years fwiw). I found this thread from Sept 2016 that makes me think it's a hard no on serving alcohol to someone with an expired drivers license: https://www.disboards.com/threads/h...ewed-dl-or-tribal-id-as-proof-of-age.3545369/

Last edited:

Oregon doesn't issue a new license with a change of address--it's just a sticker. My adult kids were not served at the bar at Grand Californian, because they called the official sticker "tampering." This despite the name and birthday being printed on the actual card (the only info on the sticker was the name (repeated) and new address.)

So . . . They scraped off their stickers, but the bar refused because they called the sticker removal tampering as well. o_OThey ended up going to Trader Sams, which had served them the day before.

I also have a sticker, but at 50+ instead of 21+, they didn't care.

Of course, ymmv--Washington issues are different, but we found the staff at our hotel pretty uneducated about what their neighboring state's license looks like. Next time, they'll bring their passports.

Thanks for all the responses. Her license doesn't expire on her birthday, it will still be good for 4 more years. It will, however, be the "sideways" license for those under 21. I thought I saw a post awhile back about someone having an issue.

Thanks for all the responses. Her license doesn't expire on her birthday, it will still be good for 4 more years. It will, however, be the "sideways" license for those under 21. I thought I saw a post awhile back about someone having an issue.
My niece's boyfriend had no issue with his "sideways" license at Carthay Circle Lounge or Napa Rose Lounge, this was within the last couple months. Oddly, my niece lost her license just before turning 21 and the DMV issued a replacement in the "correct" orientation -- I was surprised the DMV has any flexibility in this.

I'm sure your daughter will have no issues, so here are a few bar suggestions:
  • Carthay Circle Lounge: Carthay Manhattan is a signature cocktail, but they can make anything.
  • Cove Bar: "secret menu" of drinks, all very strong (like a well made Long Island Iced Tea).
  • Napa Rose Lounge: another great full service bar.

I don't see what the problem is. I do remember when California did it with the photo on the right for anyone under 21 at the time it was issued, and on the left if over. As long as it's not one of the temporary paper ones and it hasn't expired, it should be OK. That only applies to US residents though. Apparently a passport is the only form of ID for those who aren't US residents. Canadians have freaked out because Canadian provincial driver licenses aren't acceptable per Disney's rules.

I looked over the acceptable documents, and they don't even include US passport cards.

And I got a California ID for my kid at age 4. It literally says 18 in 2028, and 21 in 2031. Of course it will expire long before then. It's also vertically laid out.

To clarify, CA law states
"25660. (a) Bona fide evidence of majority and identity of the person is any of the following:
(1) A document issued by a federal, state, county, or municipal government, or subdivision or agency thereof, including, but not limited to, a valid motor vehicle operator s license, that contains the name, date of birth, description, and picture of the person.
(2) A valid passport issued by the United States or by a foreign government.
(3) A valid identification card issued to a member of the Armed Forces that includes a date of birth and a picture of the person."

And it further clarifies
"With respect to 'Federal, State, county, or municipal government, or subdivision or agency thereof', such issuing government or agency shall be located in the United States, and Armed Forces means the United States military."

This isn't Disney rules, this is CA laws. If some place else allowed it, it simply means if something had happened, they would be held responsible.

Worst case is ask to speak with the manager who would have more experience. But I'm guessing a bartender at any of te busy bars near DL have seen just about every license out there. Many places have a "born on" date near the register and they must verify the date on the ID is that day or before.

We also are Washington residents. My son went in the day before his 21st birthday to renew his license. They would not issue a horizontal license, only a vertical one even though it was only one day early. They told him if he wanted a horizontal one he would need to do it on or after his birthday. However, since his birthday is Veteran's day they were closed and since he was in college it has been hard for him to find the time to get back to the DMV to get it reissued even thought it has been 2 years since he turned 21. He has never had a problem using this "sideways" licence as long as he points out the date and once they see he is over 21 it has been OK.

Breathe easy then! As an unexpired drivers license issued by Washington State she's golden (no holes, stickers etc. of course!). DLR became extra magical at 21 for me, I hope it does for her too!

We must have read the same thread. :)

We must have read the same thread. :)

I remember that post! If we're thinking of the same one, it actually had to do with an expired license as well as a Native American identification card. Because his actual DL was expired and his Native American I.D. wasn't listed as an acceptable form of proof of age, he was turned away.

As long as she has a valid license, I think your daughter should be good to go! :)

Here's the past post:

https://www.disboards.com/threads/h...ewed-dl-or-tribal-id-as-proof-of-age.3545369/

If your DD's license is valid (i.e. not expired), and the birthdate indicates that she is at least 21, then any CM should honor that. It shouldn't matter if it's vertical or horizontal. The positioning of the license is just a signal to the server investigate further (read the birthdate). It doesn't automatically mean "do not serve this person." If your DD encounters any resistance, she should ask to speak to a manager. If that doesn't work, I would bring it up at Guest Services. I'm a total rule-follower myself. Some things are open to interpretation and others are not. ID's are pretty much black and white. Either you are allowed to be served or you're not. If an ID is authentic and valid, it should be honored.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!