New Credit Card Authorization Holds

I think you hit the nail right on the head. Disney did not expect these companies to keep the holds on for so long. And every company is different and has their own procedures.

Running the charges each night I think could be the answer.
I also think the excessive holds may appear to be fraud. Some banks aren't likely to release funds until they are pretty certain things are on the up and up.

I think they underestimated how long it takes some card issuers to release the holds. It seems they expected them to fall off in 24 hours. When they do, their method works. The charge goes through and the hold falls off at the same time essentially. This isn't happening in many cases though so the charge and the hold are overlapping. For several days sometimes.

I think they could get the $100 preauthorization, or even up it to $200, then run all charges each night. All guests start at $0 the next day. Run another preauthorization to be sure the credit level is there and repeat.
Wouldn't that work? And keep them from getting burned, left holding a lot of unpaid charges? And prevent so many weird charges? Yes, that's a lot of processing every night but so what? It's all automated.
I was looking into Hilton branded hotels and this is the warning for at least some rates:

"If you use a debit/credit card to check in, a hold may be placed on your card account for the full anticipated amount to be owed to the hotel, including estimated incidentals, through your date of check-out and such hold may not be released for 72 hours from the date of check-out or longer at the discretion of your card issuer."

Surely (though I'm being a bit sarcastic here) Disney knew it could be several days. It's not some brand new thing they are doing with applying holds.

I will say I think at least some Hiltons place a hold for $50 per day regardless of charging to room or not--so a 10-day stay would equal $500 in holds but a $100 hold per $100 charged to room like Disney is doing is just way over the top IMO. I don't know that all Hilton-branded hotels use just $50 per day but we do know all Disney resorts are doing $100 hold for every $100 spent. Seems way excessive.

Didn’t someone earlier in this thread comment that the Disney Chase VISA credit card had the hold take a long time to disappear? I could be wrong, but I thought I remembered that because it made me roll my eyes. Of course Disney comes up with the plan and their branded Visa doesn’t handle it well. I know they don’t directly run the Visa, just brand it, but still...

I have 2 Disney Chase VISA cards and I can tell you it does take a while for refunds and stuff like that to come off the card. Way longer than my other credit cards.

I was looking into Hilton branded hotels and this is the warning for at least some rates:

"If you use a debit/credit card to check in, a hold may be placed on your card account for the full anticipated amount to be owed to the hotel, including estimated incidentals, through your date of check-out and such hold may not be released for 72 hours from the date of check-out or longer at the discretion of your card issuer."

Surely (though I'm being a bit sarcastic here) Disney knew it could be several days. It's not some brand new thing they are doing with applying holds.

I will say I think at least some Hiltons place a hold for $50 per day regardless of charging to room or not--so a 10-day stay would equal $500 in holds but a $100 hold per $100 charged to room like Disney is doing is just way over the top IMO. I don't know that all Hilton-branded hotels use just $50 per day but we do know all Disney resorts are doing $100 hold for every $100 spent. Seems way excessive.

I know I stayed at a Marriot for one night that required a 25 dollar hold, and EVERY charge to the room went through as a 25 dollar hold. I had the room to absorb the holds, but it was annoying because it was a Friday night stay and basically the account wasn't reconciled on my end until Tuesday AM. That's the part of this multiple hold thing that would aggravate me, checking out on a Friday-Sun would make things even more of a mess. ESPECIALLY if you used a debit card.

I have 2 Disney Chase VISA cards and I can tell you it does take a while for refunds and stuff like that to come off the card. Way longer than my other credit cards.
Chase is one of the worse CC companies without any question. It's a battle between Chase and Citi, it seems. When it comes to putting the consumer last at least.

Chase is one of the worse CC companies without any question. It's a battle between Chase and Citi, it seems. When it comes to putting the consumer last at least.
Well then I guess I’m used to it, because we almost always use either my chase Disney premier visa or Citi prestige card when on vacation. We use Amex platinum for most day to day spending and auto pay bills, etc, but we have other reasons (Disney points and card benefits) to use the others when st Disney.

Also, I know I’m lax on keeping track of refunds, and I don’t pay any attention to preauths, or holds, so prior to reading this thread and the ruckus over it I don’t know if I would have even noticed this change happened. I need to be better about watching for refunds, though, because once i noticed I didn’t get a refund (not Disney, it was Toms shoes) and it took like 3 calls and a month before they refunded the money.

Well then I guess I’m used to it, because we almost always use either my chase Disney premier visa or Citi prestige card when on vacation. We use Amex platinum for most day to day spending and auto pay bills, etc, but we have other reasons (Disney points and card benefits) to use the others when st Disney.

Also, I know I’m lax on keeping track of refunds, and I don’t pay any attention to preauths, or holds, so prior to reading this thread and the ruckus over it I don’t know if I would have even noticed this change happened. I need to be better about watching for refunds, though, because once i noticed I didn’t get a refund (not Disney, it was Toms shoes) and it took like 3 calls and a month before they refunded the money.
I have to admit, I'm right there with you. I don't track these things either. I'm really bad about it.
I think we will be skipping using the MB. It just seems like too much trouble at this point. We spend a lot of money at Disney and I don't want worry about them holding thousands on my CC. I go to WDW to de-stress not add more :crazy2:.
I'm torn on what we'll do. We usually have a mixture of things, charges, gift cards to pay off, etc. But the gift cards never cover it all. It's a real pain to use gift cards instead of a MB so most likely we'll use the band and pay off charges daily using gift cards till I use up what cards I have and then we'll quit using the bands and use our credit cards directly.
At least that's what I'm thinking on today. Tomorrow brings another idea.

I'm torn on what we'll do. We usually have a mixture of things, charges, gift cards to pay off, etc. But the gift cards never cover it all. It's a real pain to use gift cards instead of a MB so most likely we'll use the band and pay off charges daily using gift cards till I use up what cards I have and then we'll quit using the bands and use our credit cards directly.
At least that's what I'm thinking on today. Tomorrow brings another idea.
So Disney does not charge your card everyday/night?

So paying off everynight with a gift card will work......hmmmmm

I may be wrong..someone please correct me if I am..but from what I’ve read I think the actual charge goes through on the 5th day or checkout. But all of the holds/pre auths go onto your card immediately.

So paying off everynight with a gift card will work......hmmmmm
Maybe? In theory, I think it will. I've been running it over in my head and based on what I envision us doing, that should keep crazy holds from hitting our cards but heavens I don't know. Our next trip is a shorter one so I guess for now, that's what we'll try. Unless something else comes out between now and then

I may be wrong..someone please correct me if I am..but from what I’ve read I think the actual charge goes through on the 5th day or checkout. But all of the holds/pre auths go onto your card immediately.
That's not the question. The question is when do they send the hold through? It's not for every little charge
If you pay off the charges prior to their sending a hold through then there won't be as many holds. That's the idea

Maybe? In theory, I think it will. I've been running it over in my head and based on what I envision us doing, that should keep crazy holds from hitting our cards but heavens I don't know. Our next trip is a shorter one so I guess for now, that's what we'll try. Unless something else comes out between now and then
Sounds like a plan.......keep us posted on your next trip and see what happens, we are heading out in Aug, I have been stocking up on the gift cards.....

That's not the question. The question is when do they send the hold through? It's not for every little charge
If you pay off the charges prior to their sending a hold through then there won't be as many holds. That's the idea

I understood the question, thanks

It seems Disney could eliminate so many head aches by allowing people to put funds into their account in advance (either gift card, cash, or even with a credit card upon check in).

If only they could fix their system so they could put the remaining amount (if it came from a gift card) onto a NEW gift card, then yes. Sounds like the reason they don't allow people to pre-load their gift cards onto their resort account is that people weren't hanging onto the physical card, which Disney's system works by putting refunds back to the original form of payment (including the actual gift card that was used).

I understood the question, thanks
Ok, then you are incorrect on when they go through. The holds do not go on the card individually as soon as you charge them. That much I am sure of. I'm not exactly 100% sure of when it is but it's not every little $5 bottle of water or even $50 lunch.

Ok, then you are incorrect on when they go through. The holds do not go on the card as soon as you charge them. That much I am sure of. I'm not exactly 100% sure of when it is but it's not every little $5 bottle of water or even $50 lunch.

I’m understanding that When you go over the initial $100 the hold goes on..
on page 28 of this thread I asked the same question as the pp and someone replied it was instant after they went over $100.
Maybe it’s a case where people are having different experiences...?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts