New DDP 2018 Changes! Post your actual experiences

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tortoni----Or anyone, how does DxDP work here for lunch. There are 4 of us and all have the DxDP. Can we get 4 apps and 4 small pizzas and use 4 credits or is a credit good for 1/2 a small pizza? How big are the smalls? If there are 4 of us and we order 3 apps and 3 pizzas can we just use 3 credits? I can not imagine eating my own app and a pizza.

At Via Napoli using the dining plan everyone has to order their own app, entree and dessert. There is no sharing on the dining plan. If you pay oop then you can share.

That’s great to hear! Any qualms about having to use more than 1 credit at places like Citricos and Boathouse? We like the signature restaurants but are not sure how we would feel having to use mote than 1 dining credit per meal. Maybe it wasn’t a big deal because you did deluxe? That’s probably one of the best ways to use those credits without being crazy full all week. Anyone do something like this on the regular dining plan?? Thoughts?? Pros-cons??
The DxDDP is a lot of credits, so we were fine with the 2 credit places. Boathouse was our last meal and we did not even try to maximize. In fact, we just ordered what we wanted each time. It was a nice splurge but next time I will go back to out of pocket payments as I will likely eat much less food!

At Via Napoli using the dining plan everyone has to order their own app, entree and dessert. There is no sharing on the dining plan. If you pay oop then you can share.
We each ordered an app and a small pizza and dessert. We only ate half of the pizza. We did not even try to share as I know this is frowned upon here. The apps were small so not to hard to finish. The desserts were excellent, especially one called "ugly but good."

We each ordered an app and a small pizza and dessert. We only ate half of the pizza. We did not even try to share as I know this is frowned upon here. The apps were small so not to hard to finish. The desserts were excellent, especially one called "ugly but good."
Might be frowned upon but I shared
No restaurant is gonna make me order food to waste

If we are eating at tusker house and garden grill would we get an alcoholic drink if we have the dining plan?

I’m not too bothered at all but wasn’t sure.

We’re here right now, 2 adults/2kids on DxDP, and a DVC stay. I can’t track credits on the app. We are being told repeatedly that credits are no longer pooled, as of Jan 1. My older boy doesn’t want kids meals, and they won’t let him order off the adult menu (Raglan Road did when I pressed them, but wouldn’t allow him to get an app. Tiffins and Homecomin’ flat out refused). They also aren’t letting kids get any of the souvenir/specialty drinks. For adults, it’s still one app/entree/dessert, plus one drink. Max value varies - one place said up to $19, another said $16 and under. When I had coffee and a Bloody Mary at breakfast I got charged for the coffee. I should have asked or called before buying the plan, as we would not have done it without credits being pooled. Lesson learned!

We’re here right now, 2 adults/2kids on DxDP, and a DVC stay. I can’t track credits on the app. We are being told repeatedly that credits are no longer pooled, as of Jan 1.

As far as I know Disney has always had the rule that kids must eat off the kids menu where such is available and cannot use an adult credit. However, it has not always been enforced at all restaurants. I've not heard of any issues when a party of all adults share credits freely. We have two teens that often have only a snack for breakfast and skip or share a QS lunch. My wife and I use the unused credits for breakfast and our credits for lunch. IOW's, all credits are pooled. Only issue I've seen is what you've mentioned, kids credits vs adult credits and possibly Disney now enforcing the rule they've always had.

Lesson learned!

That’s a bummer that you're feeling disappointed, but I think it’s just misunderstanding of a few policies. Souvenir beverage cups and the like (retail stuff, things you can take home) aren’t included, and the definition of what is a specialty drink for kids is pretty narrow. Most restaurants don’t include very many good (expensive) options. If a Disney child is ordering and paying with credits from the plan, they have to order from the kids menu. You’re welcome to pay out of pocket for an adult meal for your kids whenever you want, pay for your and your wife’s meal with the plan, and then use those unused “child” credits at another adult meal for yourself or your wife or another adult. That’s what pooled credits referred to, they aren’t themselves split into adult or child credits, but if a child is using one they have to order off the kids menu. Hope that helps.

It’s harder for a typical family of 2 adults and 2 kids who eat together at every restaurant to save a ton of money on the DxDP. Much easier when there is a party with two rooms and you can put 1 adult with 3 kids in one, and say 3 adults in the other, and use all the plan credits on the 4 adults. That’s taking pooled credits to the extreme.

Last edited:
As far as I know Disney has always had the rule that kids must eat off the kids menu where such is available and cannot use an adult credit. However, it has not always been enforced at all restaurants. I've not heard of any issues when a party of all adults share credits freely. We have two teens that often have only a snack for breakfast and skip or share a QS lunch. My wife and I use the unused credits for breakfast and our credits for lunch. IOW's, all credits are pooled. Only issue I've seen is what you've mentioned, kids credits vs adult credits and possibly Disney now enforcing the rule they've always had.

That was always the case on the regular DDP. Not on Deluxe. We’ve had it before, and one of the big perks was that the kids could get whatever they wanted. Our kids have pretty broad palates, and while they sometimes want a grilled cheese, they also sometimes want steak or crab. I’m sure it won’t make a big difference to too many people’s trips, but it tips the balance away from the plan for us.

Their website does reflect this policy currently (kids only ordering off of children’s menu, even on deluxe). So my bad, i just didn’t think to check. We’ve had two servers tell us that this changed in January along with the alcoholic drinks being added. Not a huge deal, and we only got it for the first half of a split stay. Just wanted to share with others who might not have known!

ETA: After a little more digging, this may have been a grey area prior to 2018, per the boards. The only other time we did DxDP (or any plan at all - we don’t typically eat QS), my one >3 y/o at the time was encouraged to order off of either menu everywhere we went. If it was a loophole, it seems to have closed.

Last edited:
I'm disappointed to see the change (or new enforcement) with the kids menu. Our kid would especially prefer the appetizers on the adult menu. The entrees will be less of an issue.

How do we determine what is a specialty drink versus a smoothie or a milkshake, which they're definitely advertising is covered?

It has to be on the kids menu for it to be covered under a kids Dining credit. If it’s on the adult only menu, then we are seeing it not be available for kids

We ate at Homecomin, Edison, Maria and Enzo, Raglan brunch, CaliGrill brunch, Artist Point, Citricos, Boathouse, Via Napoli and Brown Derby. Any questions, let me know.

Don't want to hijack this post, as it's more so about the DDP experience... but how was Maria and Enzo's?

It was our first time trying the dining plan and we got the QSDP for our 4 night stay but used it for almost 5 due to a late flight. I did my homework thanks to the Disboards and Disney Food Blog and including the cost of the refillable mugs, I calculated a $555 value for the $420 cost.

We mainly shared meals, brought meals back to the room for breakfast the next day and used our alcohol options. The best deals were Wolfgang Pucks, Polite Pig, D-Luxe Burger, Flametree BBQ, La Cantina de San Angel, Satuli Canteen, BOG shared breakfast and Oasis Pool Bar. Best snacks were the F&G booths, Jambon at Les Halles, a Mickey pretzel and sundae at Plaza ice cream.

At Sunshine Seasons we bought a meal to go which they wrapped up for us, but had to open the bloody Mary. So, we just poured it into our mug and brought it back that way.

The pool bar , Polite Pig and Wolfgang's were good options even including a tip for the servers/bartenders. All in all we were very pleased with the plan, ate really well, and even had credits on the last day to bring back snacks from Goofy's.

Don't want to hijack this post, as it's more so about the DDP experience... but how was Maria and Enzo's?
. the food looked good, but service and taste were largely subpar
4yFX29HYeD63yCuUdI17gauavgkg6zC7f8gzKDcNUWt4Cg-2PCHJlqFaYVjnPpHJ4lw5urEEUA5TMWgMEETWRx6hJ_-Vk0yR2jcDKj-IOvL94KpkjA5hwnF9FiYciIayASc-TheLUgN-VUUMwBtTEHX5a-vdX16sAubKLv1gCmpmm0KqAXzVaqj5s0oQKi0Ope-xW-jpS-eOdguuUe45Kdb_17bHBpWXJJOZk0HNMP6wiTydfhJSrJ8L2GASHv17NVL36qUFcAVxTtrMA7mn5rOY6XJ4es1Z65m_kta-ZXUPZYei00p-D3alTCttJHjbiPMauJAyTYXVVE8Sfur9oKY9pKGhfJ6UQfqc5uDpMry0O7KBh3U3sZMO5eK86KyfaoayxW5NBQA7GbjElSOkaPrUtgemb-apqZLvOyOikz6D_KcMEmz_MDkr8hTbbab-jOQx1AMDuTDCT79Eoe3dGoJ091fm5aXyvAZHldC1Tq6AZxxphYYeXGfhB85wA7khea7n7zc9pLINf93VhmXy-ClDale6tOsB9hq5PvVMFoAf3CpOeoBujeI6Kq44mH3_DsHQwpOMkIfyNpwmR4CwewwwUk0l9TgxhAru060=w1512-h1134-no
tBjvgdQvWw3t2fVc4FcTA7kTocMYkD4AI0dfobXV0waLFxolZTUXw2pyFzmsUnYSQqyUiE0L_n4ZrDkReToCglXj2EOnOusQSLe-P7D7sEQX3MdN-ZpevB38KZSnLMJTte6mSIe3mQc4Ex70e_3V8i3NCpg7-a7T_VHMh8lP9X8XWytPwkuLN0j0fn_ejacBb8FUO4aTYF1NoiesE0aanHNRzsZIaMFhL4My8b5m1MpLKkfK1v1ovEHemZxlNWB2mcxFDN50pGq1XMsVRvH73TSwre4dUINUsDK1NwJKDKa4BeeatAWsQ173ODSsKTiNpLulz9hCTge0upPPn0zM9ZqwE8NsMkF3FB-TGCfC7bhzxNpJGb7SzYTpGWbhP_gpvTU1k_qgQPZcLiho2eu7stQC_q5afqArzU4ROXk9M0VWH32NFiFJEWHriGI7wJNZIjIXCRFDfope_lqJvNCLmyo-mxW2tNn2G_2H1EIBAlD1yUSMK95TCUm-wCn4ohI3WrGh5oNthXhjyzbHmEDaTO-pIZFKYYZ29aSzQp6SpOHQxfXJeWdVvTdTwlj4KuV0q4SuMyLXvNZRDF0QFih4bG90wMyAqPPa5R7Hk60=w1512-h1134-no

here are some shots
CvB1bkrGNR27D6hhLsV3R8hUBFKMIyiPdIWdHS2Mxeg_decrXJ4riap9LhhreYCxdCYXeZpq-0Ka7H2reo6L1nes7LZls5db3eCLH0Y0ilC2SrzDKPK_6sIVX3o6knKvVRK5oqnzGtG5JJMi-pEMe_QiNBJ5snfHLdIKxymmPMi4QrhcJmJOh4h8csvL4sLVkB-GowZ9tQH5IsiXF-snPIgUyK-1nNHbO7uz2T2bWTRLxcyBAH-cQTrE1YxHQ_m1ef4HyKIhfz1VnZNLfIWGIJDWaEYtRRt4moNZqRd-bkOcOmalZlL7rS7TtW2FOEUdxh1NumYxUS8_AVgS6C_l6EpoaVOjj5-cWzZWs-TyyB6C9C_QZE7zwS7UnUXmWrQKqTsl-rcBSbgMDceDO1SzQIclIdvLXsehq0p5uCuYtG_2CFYbMUlf9fdl547EpLVbYW_qyrTKWDHMpLsgsVomXCmTDS7UGuqAjTuwi9AUj-fYuIwhRlGWnflLOyE0rnp8yktO2Q0nkd24PPx8ggW-f42HzIckGnCgIDUG9_GIkA64vE7SeIG2cB509Dgk6dwta-KzVBTmbDVbD2XEyJFMTfXFEA2BkCcXIYDUXAE=w1512-h1134-no

I know this has undoubtedly been answered but can’t find it so will ask. On regular dining plan, can I order an iced tea or soft drink after my alcoholic beverage, or is it one beverage and done. Thanks in advance.

Yes, whether you are charged for it is questionable. Some have been charged, some haven’t. So be prepared to pay for it and if not, bonus!

Technically you are allowed a beverage

I know this has undoubtedly been answered but can’t find it so will ask. On regular dining plan, can I order an iced tea or soft drink after my alcoholic beverage, or is it one beverage and done. Thanks in advance.
We had some places offer the non-alcoholic drink as included and others charged us. For example, Maria and Enzo offered both and Homecomin charged for the coffee.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!