New Disney runner

It’s really what you are looking for and what works with your schedule. There is no set race weekend best for a first timer. RunDisney overall is good for first timers.

So mostly what @rteetz says. But I will vary slightly and say that I think choosing a half marathon is the best distance option. The 5k and 10k that are offered (during marathon weekend, Princess, Star Wars and Wine and Dine) are IMO not worth the expense and travel to WDW. The full is a different commitment, and of course is only offered in January.

The half hits a sweet spot for distance/challenge without being so exhausting to ruin the rest of the trip. Assuming you do it during marathon weekend or Princess, you go through MK and Epcot (although with all the Epcot construction, it's not quite as good). The other two events don't do MK, but pick up AK, DHS, and Epcot instead.

Last edited:
I agree with what was shared. The half distance provides good value for what you spend compared to the shorter distances. But all the races provide good organization and support and are newer runner friendly You just need to decide what is more appealing to b you in terms of theme. My first was Marathon Weekend and remains the only one I have done. I don’t think you can go wrong though. Good luck!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter