Reflections: A Disney Lakeside Resort

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bottom line is DVC needs more rooms. Have you tried booking a room on points with the next 3 months? Even SSR and OKW are 100% booked.
That’s how a timeshare should work. Owners can’t book more rooms than they collectively bought.
The only reason for available points rooms is if owners are not using their points to book them. Points are now so expensive, that owners now seek out options to monetize their points (rent them) instead of taking a huge hit by not personally using them.

It’s only a valid argument is if you are claiming Vero, HH and Aluani owners are using their points at WDW
In which case more WDW points could help even out demand with those non-park destinations.

especially if Roy told him DVC was a way to finance what creative projects he wanted to do
I believe if they had been able to pioneer the option, that Disney would be even more of a "loyalty club" thing than it already is. I mean, Club 33 is its own thing, but there could have been broad expansion of the AP/DVC/Club33 concept, something in the budget for "all families" as it were. I see what they were trying to do with the "value/moderate/family suites/deluxe resorts" but it could have been made even more lucrative if there had been another membership option that appealed to the masses...

That’s how a timeshare should work. Owners can’t book more rooms than they collectively bought.
The only reason for available points rooms is if owners are not using their points to book them. Points are now so expensive, that owners now seek out options to monetize their points (rent them) instead of taking a huge hit by not personally using them.

It’s only a valid argument is if you are claiming Vero, HH and Aluani owners are using their points at WDW
In which case more WDW points could help even out demand with those non-park destinations.

I'm on the fence on the renting thing. It is great if for some reason you can't use/bank your points or need some extra cash (even to use it to pay your dues), but I don't think it should be a business. For example, the people that make reservations during peak season and jack up the per point price. I have seen it as high as $18pp.

I'm on the fence on the renting thing. It is great if for some reason you can't use/bank your points or need some extra cash (even to use it to pay your dues), but I don't think it should be a business. For example, the people that make reservations during peak season and jack up the per point price. I have seen it as high as $18pp.

$18PP isn't really out of line...there are brokers charging that or more for reservations at nearly all locations any time of the year at 7-11 months. I'm not a huge fan of speculation type rentals like that but the alternative, not being able to use your points except for personal use, is much much worse.

Please, Please, Please. (I love how I came here with the link to this article copied on my clipboard only to see how you posted this almost a day before. I'll never keep up)

Thanks, I like the idea too and am bothered by all the insta-negativity. Looking at it I think the building on the right will be the hotel, and the left will be the DVC. The irregularity of the structure makes me think this to accommodate the differences in room sizes. And hopefully that room of windows at the top is another DVC lounge for some good fireworks viewing. (although it will probably be $500 to access, just like the reunion station)

Funny-- I thought the other way around-- usually the dvc portion doesn't have the grandiose lobby....

I think this will be great. It is such a dead area of the property and I think the "merged" theme will be just fine.

but, but, what happened to this concept art? is this the same place? or is this concept dead?

414032490.jpg

I've been camping at The Fort since I was a child so that's probably 35 yrs+ under my belt ... and I think there will be a lot of negativity coming from the camping folks due to the uncertainty of what will happen the The Settlement area. Some of the early planning drawings seemed to be showing a parking lot run right up to Pioneer Hall. While many may like the idea of just driving a car up to The Settlement, it does really take away from what made that area along Bay Lake so unique. Cars and visitors had to be parked at the Outpost and you're taking a bus or boat to get to The Settlement giving it quieter isolated feel. Progress is what it is ... but until the design is unveiled with how this new resort will be structured beside The Fort there's going to be concern that yet another unique area of WDW will be turned into a generic money farm
I agree with all that you said and think that it is an area worth preserving for nostalgia and it’s intrinsic qualities. However, I think that it is ultimately doomed because of it’s potential value to be redeveloped into a much larger revenue source. Sad but unfortunately a corporate reality.

Love your tag line. I just mentioned to my brother the other day that they need need develop a Crimson King Emoji.

I like the rendering and definitely prefer the low rise approach rather than the high rise approach. The roof lines vary and there are different vertical elements that make the building interesting. I was concerned about the overall architectural design concept of the new resort because WL and WC are similar and designed in a "western" theme. The new design is different and with the right finish material selections, could be great.

but, but, what happened to this concept art? is this the same place? or is this concept dead?

414032490.jpg

I think it's still going to be similar, but guessing scaled back with not as many wings. It's easier for everyone if you don't have to walk along a long curving wing (looking at you Kidani and BWV). But if you look at the ends of some of the wings, they are trying for a prairie style similar to the new concept art released.

It's modern architecture. If you like modern architecture, it looks pleasant enough.

It's interesting to me because the deluxe hotels that are beloved to WDW fans are traditionally-inspired. GF, Poly, AKL, WL, BC, YC

The one that is modern, the Contemporary, is the one that many people often have other reasons for liking (close to the MK being the most common reason)

Interesting choice

Last edited:
It's modern architecture. If you like modern architecture, it looks pleasant enough.

It's interesting to me because the deluxe hotels that are beloved to WDW fans are traditionally-inspired. GF, Poly, AKL, WL, BC, YC

The one that is modern, the Contemporary, is the one that many people often have other reasons for liking (close to the MK being the most common reason)

Interesting choice
There’s also a lot of nostalgia involved with the contemporary, and having the monorail run through your hotel is a pretty cool feature too.

I definitely like more traditional inspired themes, because their best work shines through in those resorts (WL, AKL, and BW being among my favorites). I’m curious to see how this finished project looks in practice both architecturally and how it affects the fort logistically.

There’s also a lot of nostalgia involved with the contemporary, and having the monorail run through your hotel is a pretty cool feature too.

I definitely like more traditional inspired themes, because their best work shines through in those resorts (WL, AKL, and BW being among my favorites). I’m curious to see how this finished project looks in practice both architecturally and how it affects the fort logistically.

I’m a CR fan only because we have built up our own nostalgia by staying there over the years. And walking to MK helps as well ;)

But objectively looking at its architecture, it’s not as appealing to me as the other deluxes which are more traditional

I'm looking forward to this. I think you can have a modern look that aligns well with nature theme

Interesting choice
I think Contemporary was a bit more of a future theme than modern.

The theming of the hotels told a story, and that story was never “today in Everywhere, USA”

But, since we haven’t heard any backstory, yet...the Paris Nature Resort seems somewhat successful in bringing the outdoors inside.
When done right, modern design can allow for more seamless glass walls (without any adornment/molding) so it might be the right choice for a Nature theme.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!