New Fantasmic! FP seating is lousy

GatorChris

Not of This World
First, let me talk about the way things used to be. When Disney killed blanket city (where we put out blankets for 4-5 hours before the show), they put in the FP system. And it was really great! They had a dining package section from the Blue Bayou that only took up a little space in the middle. We were able to take our color FP (yellow, I think), and then get a good spot near the middle where we all sat down. Then, they closed F! down for 18 months......

.....And reopened to chaos. This is the first time we've been able to try out the FP since F! came back online. We grabbed FPs for F! on Friday morning. I'm suddenly worried that there's no color. Got in the FP line about 90 minutes before the show. Then got herded like cattle into the Mark Twain dock for 30+ minutes. During that time, we realized that we were all doomed! We all watched as the hundreds of people who shelled out the dough to get a F! dining package filled the entire area we used to sit in. Now THEY were sitting in it, taking up the whole front strip.

Then they began letting us through, and of course, it's chaos just like when they open the ropes at WOC. The first of us in the group, which I'm lucky enough to be in, are forced to the outer edge behind a giant tree and a planter. We were lucky enough to not have the tree directly in our view, but many did. And many of the FP holders were waaaaayyyy behind us and up on other levels. So there we stood, we STOOD, for the entire waiting time and then for the show. Just like WOC, which is totally lousy IMHO. I thought it was rough sitting on cement, but I'd gladly have it back after standing around for 2+ hours. Ridiculous.

Now don't get me wrong....the show was really amazing. We loved it, having a front row standing area. But only a handful of us got that front row area. The rest were behind us struggling to see, and they were quite vocal about it. Side note: This is where WDW beats the crud out of DL. With a giant arena for everyone to sit in, the show may not be as good, but at least 9000 people can sit down and watch.

Disneyland really needs to go back to the original FP system. I know they won't......$$$$$$$$. They've become masters of tiering people into income groups.

So sorry it was a crap experience for you. From reading your post I gather you were at the 9pm showing?
My experience at the beginning of October was quite different but that was for the 2nd show at 10.30pm. My son and I did the Blue Bayou package on the Saturday night (MHP was on the Friday night). We had dinner and then saw the 9pm show. We wanted to eat at BB anyway - I think there is only value in that for the 1st show as for the 2nd show they combine all the dining.

The next day, on the Sunday, I wanted to see the show again. I got a FP for the 10.30pm show as I wanted to watch the fireworks in front of the castle first. My son went off to ride attractions so it was just me. After the fwks I swiftly made my way over to the Mark Twain dock. I was concerned that I wouldn't get a decent spot with watching the fwks first but as it was just me I thought I'll just see how I go.
I made it to the dock fairly quickly, there was already a fair crowd there who I was behind but I was on the 'front side' of the dock. We were held for a while whilst they cleared out the first show.
When they walked us down there was a pretty large area open. I got a spot 3rd row back on the far left next to a narrow walkway / rope. This was a sitting area and I was only about 5m from where I had sat the night before in the BB section. I thought, geez - that was ALOT easier than I thought it was going to be.

So... I think it is very different from 1st show to the 2nd. I was definitely sitting in what was one of the dining sections (can't remember if it was RBT or CO) the night before. For the 2nd show they combine 2 or 3 of the dining sections together.
If at all possible, and it's not always possible, I would really suggest getting a FP for the 2nd show. I got virtually the same view for free on the 2nd night as I did the night before when I had the BB package.
I agree, they have made most of the prime viewing at the front of ROA a $$$$$$$$ experience for better or worse. However, if guests are able to see the 2nd show they will have a much better experience with FP (not saying that's right - it was just my experience that night)
I can't remember if we saw the show via FP before it went on hiatus - I think we did BB for the first time that year. I do remember the blanket parade from our first trip and that was pretty bad - I think this is better than that was at least.

BTW - loved your photos in your other post - they were great! Your wife is gorgeous - not that you're not too! : )

We felt this way too. It was awful! I didn't experience the first round of FP for Fantasmic! as we didn't make it to the parks then, but we saw it this summer and it was just awful. Great show but we were packed like sardines. Ridiculous!

Not everyone can stay at the parks for a 10:30 PM show. That's why the above poster got such a good view with the second show. We have three little kids. It's not an option for us.

This is a little discouraging, but I'm not surprised. I want to take our kids to see the show, but the 9pm scenario doesn't sound fun for a family of 6. I think my boys would love the show if they weren't busy hating the overall experience (standing, waiting, standing some more, squished like sardines, and a poor view). Maybe we'll have to try for a 10:30 show one night.

I would always recommend at least paying for the Hungry Bear package if you want to see the first show.
As previously stated 2nd show is easier for FP holders.

ME

That’s too bad you had to stand the entire time. I’m not sure what has changed, but we saw the earlier fantasmic show back in the middle of August and we were able to sit down, centered and second row....a great spot. We didn’t line up super early with our FP (I actually think those 1st people were taken to the far left).
We loved it, but for some reason no one cared to take the time to see it again on our trip last month. I do want to see it on our next trip, but I don’t want to stand. I’ve watched it plenty of times before standing and it’s uncomfortable and kids can’t see. I agree the seating is a MAJOR bonus at WDW.

We did the Fantasmic dining package in August because it was the first week that local APs were back in the parks after high season and I thought I'd probably get your chaos experience with FP. While I generally don't go for upcharge events -- this was the first dining package I have ever done -- I felt like I got a pretty good deal doing River Belle Terrace. The regular menu price of our all of the pieces of our meal was only about $5 less than the package charge. So for about $5 each, DH and I got a seated center view of Fantasmic without the cattle-call hour-long ordeal. Best deal Disney charges for, IMO.

But I can see the gripe with taking over such a big chunk of the Fantasmic area. Percentage-wise, it's much greater than the effect of the parade packages or WoC dessert party. You can still get a good spot for either of those without paying for it. I think once the new wears off they ought to scale back the number of dining packages and give more space to FPs, even if it's not the perfect center view.

PHXscuba

We felt this way too. It was awful! I didn't experience the first round of FP for Fantasmic! as we didn't make it to the parks then, but we saw it this summer and it was just awful. Great show but we were packed like sardines. Ridiculous!

Not everyone can stay at the parks for a 10:30 PM show. That's why the above poster got such a good view with the second show. We have three little kids. It's not an option for us.
I'm concerned about this. I am going to really try to make a long nap happen for DD5 as we have the BB F! DP for the 10:30 P show. I am nervous.

If at all possible, go to the late show. It's a huge difference in crowds and ability to have a little elbow room and get a good spot. We saw what was happening at the 9pm show and just said NOPE.
It was crowd mentality, parents and kids melting down, people really upset at the CMs, who basically do nothing. The lead CM was so frazzled and just bossing people around but to no avail. The crowd is too big and it's a systems issue. One "lead" twentysomething CM is not going to be able to control this level of chaos.

My 5 year old falls asleep at 8 pm, sometimes earlier and wont nap. I think I'm going to have to FORCE a nap this time, because I cant deal with the crazy crowds.

That's where I'm at. My older two might be able to do the late late show. But my 6yo would fall asleep before then, or be the crankiest kid in the galaxy. Maybe if they did this show more than just 3 times a week, it wouldn't be so crazy for the FPs.

We went in the summer and it was playing nightly. Still crazy crowded! I think the issue is the number of FP given out between meals and the machines. Yes, everyone wants to see it, I know. But, isn't the purpose of the FP to save your spot for the show. What's the point if they're going to allow twice as many people to see the show than comfortably fit?! It's nice that people aren't camping around the river all day, but the walkway is still difficult to maneuver in the evenings, so things haven't really been improved.

Yes, unfortunately the dining packages have been given more area resulting in less space for the regular FP's. However the situation you described was already in place before the refurb, if you had a regular FP in the yellow section, you would go through that same situation.

That is a long wait! We walked up to 9pm show maybe 10 minutes before the show and had a great view. We tend to show up on time and are prepared to get a lousy view, but it's usually fine to great. We always avoid the madhouse of early-liner-uppers.

To the OP: write to Disney to tell them exactly what you experienced and how it differed from what you've experienced in the past. If no one from the F! management team sees your comment here, then it won't make any difference. But if you write in, then your comment will be sent to the correct department and someone will read it. Someone may even get back to you to discuss your experience further. That has happened to me more than once when I've sent in a comment. Make your complaint count for something to improve the show experience for future guests.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts