New Harry Potter ride just announced

I am super pumped by this news. Love the investment into the area Comcast is making to expand and update the Potter property.

The land Dragon Challege sits on is about twice the size of the Hogsmeade area, not including Hogwarts, so it's a big chunk of land, they may expand Hogsmeade a bit as part of it to not be so crowded.

https://twitter.com/insideuniversal/status/889525400208068614

DFg6nagXcAEtfb8.jpg

We love Dragon Challenge! Sad to see it go. The Forbidden Journey gives me really bad motion sickness but I have no problem at all on the Dragon Challenge. I love big drops and speed. I hope the new ride is as thrilling!

The last time I rode it was when it was the dueling dragons...seriously wish I hadn't skipped it a few years ago when I had the chance.

I am excited for the new ride though.

I'm absolutely thrilled. Dueling Dragons was always just Fire and Ice to me, despite the Re-theme. Another new Potter ride? Sign me up!

Last edited:
Coasters that are good for the "whole family" tend to leave a lot to be desired from a thrill standpoint. I knew it was coming, but sad to see a great thrilling coaster go away. Glad we got to ride it while we did.

I have known for a while it was closing in September - but wasn't at liberty to say. I had no idea they were going to close it at the start of the month until today. My short 11.5 year old is really hoping she will be tall enough to ride it before it leaves. She was too short as of three weeks ago. As much as I'm looking forward to a new ride, I'm going to miss Dragons. I have fond memories of riding Dueling Dragons over 20 times on New Year's Eve in 1999. I understand why it's going - the line waits were usually quite low meaning less people were going through - but I still liked it.

Just awful news. Our fave US ride (even without the "duel").

Sure it may end up even better (doubtful), but make it next to DA instead of wrecking one of the best ever.

The land Dragon Challege sits on is about twice the size of the Hogsmeade area, not including Hogwarts, so it's a big chunk of land, they may expand Hogsmeade a bit as part of it to not be so crowded.

https://twitter.com/insideuniversal/status/889525400208068614

This is the aspect that has me intrigued the most. The amount of room available here is massive. Could easily fit a great themed coaster/dark ride and another attraction and some shops/food in this area. I will miss DC as I thought they were great coasters and a lot of fun, but am excited to see what goes in at the same time. The level of theming and immersion just wasn't there for this ride compared to everything around it. And completely understand the thought behind removing it as the lines were almost always very short and people seemed to not gravitate towards it as much as other rides in the parks, and the amount of land it would open up.

I imagine it will be a coaster themed to the Frobidden Forest as it is the main area left unused really that would fit well. Hopefully can actually get a walkthrough of Hagrid's Hut as part of the queue too. Would love to see them also add in the Shreiking Shack as a walk through attraction, be a sort of permanent haunt style attraction similar to the Walking Dead at Hollywood. Could fit a decent size walkthrough in the area between the shops and train station leaving the rest of the area free for the new coaster.

All that will be left after this is a Ministry of Magic dark ride and I feel the Harry Potter lands will be complete as they will have touched upon all of the main attractions really. Only other addition I could see would be if this is the Mack powered system and not the launch coaster themed to Hagrid's bike, then use the boke technology to do a broomstick launch coaster and theme it to Quidditch or something.

I'm a little annoyed at the short notice! We are heading to Orlando in September, a week after the Dragon Challenge will be closing. So I will never have a chance to ride it! I guess the upside is it will already closed before we arrive; if it would still be open during our first couple days then I would probably need to manipulate my entire itinerary all over again!
Yeah it is a ride I really look forward too - I do wish there was a little more notice, but that is a big piece of land to use for a ride that rarely has more then a 5 minute wait - and most of that 5 minutes is the walk to get to the ride

Yeah it is a ride I really look forward too - I do wish there was a little more notice, but that is a big piece of land to use for a ride that rarely has more then a 5 minute wait - and most of that 5 minutes is the walk to get to the ride
True...the only time I ever waited more than 10 minutes in the actual queue...not the castle...was over Christmas one year. It look longer to walk through the castle reading the walls and learning the story...but that was part of the fun.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter