New Lockers- standard size now $2

only hope

DIS Veteran
Starting today, normal size lockers are not free anywhere. Only lockers that are about 4 inches high are free. You can only rent one locker per pass. Normal size lockers cost $2 to use while you ride, and theres not many left at the attractions as the tiny ones have replaced them. It’s been all over the UOAP and Orlando Informer fb groups today and on the UOAP page, an admin confirmed it.
It sounds like FJ may not have made the switch- yet. People on fb are saying the popcorn buckets won’t fit unless you take the lid and handle off. Freestyle cups have to be turned on the side, which means they have to be empty or they may leak.

The link below is for Universals guest relations if you’re not happy about the change.
http://www.visitorsatisfaction.com/...ygfBe3A0oGEsGL7s7Uy5wsbKCRqKQLAxyQ7gD6xJHEcA4

Starting today, normal size lockers are not free anywhere. Only lockers that are about 4 inches high are free. You can only rent one locker per pass. Normal size lockers cost $2 to use while you ride, and theres not many left at the attractions as the tiny ones have replaced them. It’s been all over the UOAP and Orlando Informer fb groups today and on the UOAP page, an admin confirmed it.
It sounds like FJ may not have made the switch- yet. People on fb are saying the popcorn buckets won’t fit unless you take the lid and handle off. Freestyle cups have to be turned on the side, which means they have to be empty or they may leak.

The link below is for Universals guest relations if you’re not happy about the change.
http://www.visitorsatisfaction.com/...ygfBe3A0oGEsGL7s7Uy5wsbKCRqKQLAxyQ7gD6xJHEcA4

SERIOUSLY!!! ***?

I’m sure many emails will be sent because of this change but uo will respond to all

A52A54AE-1BCE-46D3-890A-4892435D147D.jpeg 8E1BC8FC-1225-4F06-BEB1-208C0F470DAF.png

The locker pic came from the UOAP fb page, and that person got it off some other page...

Yep. I won’t be renewing if they don’t change this. I can’t afford $2/ride and I can’t afford to buy food every time I go. Basically, my pass has just lost some of its value.

Last edited:

It sounds like the over the shoulder bag I was going to bring--about 10X12 when laid flat--would still fit as long as there's not a lot in it. Hopefully the Freestyle cup will fit in with it but I guess dh could get a locker if need be...

I just received a form letter back. Basically, according to them, these new lockers are an improvement to the guest experience and they recomend bringing only essentials into the park- things that will fit in these new tiny lockers. Since when is a packed lunch not an essential if you can’t afford their high food prices every visit? I can’t afford to both pay for an annual pass and to purchase all my food any day, or even some food every day that I visit. I will be calling in a few days.

Some people are fb are saying they’re going to dig out their old strollers and bring that to have as a place to keep their stuff. Others are talking about a bag you can lock to a pole. But we shouldn’t have to do that. A stroller isn’t exaxtly convienent.

I can't see why a lunch wouldn't fit. The lockers don't look that small. But I also don't find food prices to be prohibitively expensive at all- your best value is to split a meal (portions are huge!) and drink free cups of ice water. I'd eat breakfast before arrival and dinner after leaving. I can't see $10-20 being a dealbreaker for visiting though. This just isn't riling me up much. I appreciated the free lockers but most parks (Cedar Point, for example) don't have them. I take no bag there and just put everything in my pockets (I wear clothes with pockets that zipper close).

You should be able to throw a packed lunch in the new lockers. But from what I have read a refillable popcorn bucket doesn't fit well. And Freestyle cups need to be emptied and turned on their side. Hope the lockers are waterproof because people will be spilling drinks in them.

A form letter response I received.

----------------------------------------------

Thank you for contacting Universal Orlando Resort™ Guest Services.

Universal Orlando Resort™ strives to offer each Guest the best theme park experience possible. As a part of this experience, we provide lockers in which our Guests can store their personal items while they enjoy our attractions. Due to the sudden dramatic movement of many of our rides, we require that all loose articles be either secured in one of our lockers or left with a non-rider. For the safety and security of our Guests and their personal belongings, loose articles cannot be carried onto select attractions.

Our loose article policy has not changed, however, our lockers are being enhanced to provide a better, faster, and more seamless experience for our Guests that require the use of lockers throughout the parks. Guests who use locker locations at select attractions will be able to select either a large-size locker (backpacks, large merchandise bags, etc.) for a fee or a standard size locker (cell phones, keys, wallets, etc.) for free* for the duration of the attraction. The all-day jumbo sized lockers at the front gates and the large lockers at the water-based attraction have increased in price to reflect the value they provide guests. Universal Orlando Resort™ is not responsible for any items that are lost or damaged in our resort. We recommend that you bring only basic essentials to the parks and leave valuable items at home or in your hotel safe.

Universal Orlando Resort™ cares about the feedback of our Guests; your concerns have been forwarded to the appropriate members of management for their review and future action.

If you would like to discuss this matter further, please feel free to call us at (407) 224-4233, option four (4). Our office is open seven (7) days a week from 8:30AM until park close, Eastern Standard Time (EST).

Again, thank you for contacting us.

*Locker price is only applicable while the guest is riding the attraction with the length of time determined by the posted wait time. If a guest passes the identified length of time they will be charged an additional $2 every 30 minutes up to a maximum of $20.00.

Best Regards,

Derek
Coordinator | Guest Communication
Universal Orlando Resort™

I can't see why a lunch wouldn't fit. The lockers don't look that small. But I also don't find food prices to be prohibitively expensive at all- your best value is to split a meal (portions are huge!) and drink free cups of ice water. I'd eat breakfast before arrival and dinner after leaving. I can't see $10-20 being a dealbreaker for visiting though. This just isn't riling me up much. I appreciated the free lockers but most parks (Cedar Point, for example) don't have them. I take no bag there and just put everything in my pockets (I wear clothes with pockets that zipper close).

Totally agree. Not something I’ll be getting annoyed about.

Hopefully this might stop some folks coming into the parks with backpacks the size of 6 year olds.....stuffed full as if they’re on a camping trip for 3 weeks!!!

They will fit most folks lunches as long as it’s not a full scale buffet you’re bringing. And no, I dont find food prices in Universal expensive.......there seems to be plenty for every budget.

Yeah, I'm irritated. I always have a mini backpack, and this is gonna curtail my souvenir spending for sure. I think what irritates me the most is how they don't fit the cups upright. So now you're going to sell me this refillable cup that I either have to fully empty before each ride, and then wait in line again for a refill?

It would be fine if they weren't mandatory, but they are, and to have something mandatory that doesn't work with your own souvenirs/refillable items doesn't make sense to me. Seems like they'd make more off my $50 sweatshirt purchase that I won't make now to not pay for the locker, than the $10-12 dollars from the lockers.

I'll actually be interested to see how vloggers/bloggers who frequent the parks take this.

I got the same form letter. They're even trying to pass off the increased prices of the all-day lockers as a benefit to guests.

A lunch will fit if it's winter and it can be put in a knapsack. In the summer, a lunchbox is needed or everything will get too hot and there are very few lunchboxes that will fit in such a short locker. Splitting is a great value and most meals are large enough to do so (unless you're a starving teen boy :p), but that only works if you go with someone else and you both have money to spare. Food is not within everyone's budget, not even five dollars worth. Not everyone makes enough money to buy food every visit. A significant chunk of my small disposable income went to buying my annual passes. That leaves little money for food at the parks. I wish I did make enough money to just buy something every visit- some of the places have wonderful food (especially DA and Hogsmeade) and it is more convenient than carrying around a pbj and snacks.

It is not a problem for me either, but I do think the new small lockers should hold the refillable cups upright.

If they had bothered to ask me before they put them in, or anyone with actual park experience, they would have known this.

We do not pack for the parks the way a lot of people we saw on this last trip pack, but several of our group did have the refillable cups.

For the person complaining they cannot afford food inside the park, seriously, although I do not have the exact dimensions in front of me, I think it should hold lunch for one person without any difficulty.

Maybe you need to reevaluate what you are bringing. When we used to bring lunch, we brought something like celery sticks and a small container of ranch dressing and a pack of crackers. Maybe some candy. It would all fit.

You can always have your purchases sent to the front gate or to the onsite hotel. Again, I don't see the problem there.

They snuck that in suddenly and quietly! I'm glad this wasn't in effect over Thanksgiving because we would have needed more lockers for our group. My usual park bag would fit in there OK, but it got cooler in the evenings so we sometimes brought extra sweaters and jackets with us. I did notice more of the ride lockers opened with a ticket instead of the finger scan, which is an improvement.

I always thought you couldn't bring in "food/lunch" but only a snack if needed. We do travel very light to Universal so it might not hurt me BUT I do think it will bite them in the butt. If any purchases I make can not fit in the locker ......... well the purchases won't happen since I'm there to go on the rides.

I travel light so no problem for me and the complimentary ones UNLESS a wand no longer fits.

Best response :rotfl:

They have always allowed peeps to bring food in but nothing like hauling in a large picnic basket

Some peeps have dietary restrictions so they do bring foods for the day

Most rent the all day lockers when they do and store it there

It is a one fee allowing all day usage of opening and closing their family locker

I'll say it - I'm pissed. My son requires medication that needs to be kept cold and other medical supplies. This requires a backpack that will not fit in the small lockers (believe me, I've tried). Now I get to look forward to spending 16 - 20 bucks a day on lockers. It's a very Disney-esqe money grab.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!